Dubai Issues List Of Prohibited Public Behaviours

Topic locked
Dubai issues list of prohibited public behaviours Mar 24, 2009
DUBAI (Alarabiya.net, AFP)

Playing loud music, dancing, nudity, kissing and even holding hands in public is considered inappropriate behavior under new guidelines laid down by the authorities of Dubai, according to a press report on Saturday.

Dubai Executive Council issued a list of public behaviors that requires Dubai residents and visitors to respect the customs of the Muslim country and avoid what the council considers inappropriate behavior, according to the Arabic-language daily Al Emarat Al-Youm.

" Pants and skirts have to be of appropriate length, and outside clothing should not expose body parts indecently and should not be transparent "

Dubai Executive Council

The rules, which apply to all public places, include a ban on all forms of nudity, playing music loudly and dancing, exchange of kisses between men and women—and even on unmarried couples holding hands.

Any breach of the guidelines, by nationals or expatriates, carries a possible prison penalty, the paper wrote.

The order also requires all visitors of public places, such as government buildings, shopping malls, streets and restaurants to dress in “appropriate” clothing, otherwise they would be denied entrance to those areas.

“Pants and skirts have to be of appropriate length, and outside clothing should not expose body parts indecently and should not be transparent,” the guidelines stipulate under section “public behavior,” Al Emarat Al-Youm wrote.

In addition, the council ordered that anyone caught under the influence of alcohol—even a small amount—outside designated drinking areas is liable to being fined or imprisoned, the paper added.

Dubai, a member of the seven-emirate United Arab Emirates, has a diverse culture as it is home to a foreign population made up mainly of low-skilled workers from Asia and Western professionals.

Unlike most of its neighbors in the conservative Gulf region, the emirate tolerates a relatively relaxed dress code and hosts dozens of hotels that have bars and clubs, where alcohol is legally served.

However, a series of incidents, including crackdowns on cross dressers and the expulsion of two British expats found guilty of having sex on the beach, has thrown into the limelight the sometimes clashing local and foreign cultures.

Dubai Executive Council issued a list of the Appropriate Public Behavior, obliging Dubai Locals, Expatriates and Visitors on respecting its Social, Cultural, Religious and Customary ethics.

The list ‘Obtained by Emirates Today News Paper’ compels locals, residents and visitors on respecting the country’s values, morals and believes by avoiding all kinds of inappropriate behaviors throughout the whole Emirate.

The list has been circulated throughout Dubai’s Governmental Departments and Private Companies.

Under the Article of Public Moral Code, the list stressed on the importance of respecting the UAE’s icons, including but not limited to it’s Governors, Flag, National Symbols…etc.

According to the list, any insolence of the aforementioned will be considered a crime.

Visitors of all public places in the Emirate, including but not limited to Governmental Buildings, Shopping Malls, Restaurants and other are obliged to wear suitable clothes at all times. Individual wearing improper/indecent clothes will be banned of entry.

The list obliges visitors of both genders to wear accepted swimming attires at beaches and swimming areas (in respect of society’s culture & values). It also prohibits wearing swim wear afar swimming areas as stipulated by the General Dress Code applicable to the rest of the Emirate (Decent Clothing).

Nudity of all sorts and kinds is strictly prohibited and is penalized with imprisonment and ejection.

Under the Article “Behavior Between Sexes”, the list strictly prohibits several actions in public such as: any kind of; kissing, cuddling, fondling, sexual harassing, harassment of women, hand holding or any other act that can be considered as abrasion of modesty. Any individual who conduct such act will in violation to Public Decency which can be penalized with imprisonment and ejection.

Only married couples are permitted to hold hands in decent ways that does not harass public civility.

Hence Dancing and disturbing Loud Music in Public places such as beaches, parks and residential hoods is forbidden; its allowed in its designated places.

Alcohol and Drudges: Alcohol is only allowed in its licensed places. Any breach will be punished with imprisonment and fine.

Drugs are strictly forbidden. Its position, consumption or trading is con considered a crime.

Drivers caught under alcohol effects will be legally accountable for the consequences which may lead to expulsion.

Drivers should use head sets. All vehicle passengers including driver are obliged to wear seat belts. Children must be seated in the back seats. Road way must be vacated to Police, Ambulance and Fire department cars. Drivers are prohibited from stopping to watch accidents. Pedestrians must be respected.

Smoking is restricted to its permitted areas. Violators will be held accountable.

Any chemicals that affect the mind is prohibited, and consuming it is punishable by law.

Verbal abuse of all kinds, offensive hand gestures or any other aggressive or malevolent gestures is a violation panelized with fine and imprisonment. All nationalities and religions must be respected. Old civilians, disabled and pregnant woman should be given priority when necessary. Whistling, Loud conversations and laughter should be avoided.

Spreading or circulating false roomers, news’s or jokes that harasses public security, peacefulness and health will be punishable.

Being cautious while taking photographic pictures is necessary. Photographing women and families on purpose without taking permission is publicly un accepted in Dubai.

The list has allocated a special article on the Islamic Religion & Other Religions, obliging those concerned to switch off music in public places or in Cars in proximity to Mosques or when the Call for Prayer ‘Muslim Athaan’ is on.

In the Month of Ramadan, Eating, drinking and smoking in public places is strictly forbidden. Those who breach will be legally accountable.

The list has stressed on restricting any religious activity, Islamic or non Islamic unless permitted through competent authorities.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 24, 2009
Most of this is commen sense, but some of it is just retarded! Residential 'hoods'? hahahahaha

So it's forbidden for unmarried couples to hold hands, kiss etc in public, but ok for guy-guy, girl-girl?

Some of this is just good for a laugh really.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 24, 2009
Whistling, Loud conversations and laughter should be avoided.

I'm particularly keen to see this one enforced.
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 24, 2009
nice post choc..

I think some expact thout dubai is a free country which you can do anything you want ..and i dont blame them its the GOV. fault ..however there are some expact who really respect our culture and religion..i remamber my english techer ,she was scotish ..she never came to the college with tight clothes ..in the beginning i thout she was doing that becuze of the college regulation , but one day i met her outside the college and she was conservatively dressed..

Anyway the most important thing is there will be no more kissing in public..its embaressing especialy if u were with ur family.. :oops:
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 24, 2009
Can men stop going round holding hands and kissing one another too? This is embarrassing to see. I find that offensive!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 24, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Can men stop going round holding hands and kissing one another too? This is embarrassing to see. I find that offensive!

Especially two men kissing on the lips.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 24, 2009
Ewwwww! You see you get bashed in other countries for openly practicing homos.exual behaviour!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 24, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Ewwwww! You see you get bashed in other countries for openly practicing homos.exual behaviour!

I'm being serious. Have you seen Arabs greeting each other like this? I don't know if its stricly Emirati or universaly Arab.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 24, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Can men stop going round holding hands and kissing one another too? This is embarrassing to see. I find that offensive!

yes we can...when we go to another country which find it offensive according to thier laws..here in UAE men holds hands and kiss each other not on the lips offcorse..but we dont mind it ..if u mind it its not my problem..i cant force ur country to do the same and stop ppl from kissing each others in public..ur country and ur ppl can do not me. ..in ur country i will not do that ..but i think i have the right to do it in my country...
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 24, 2009
naruto wrote:Anyway the most important thing is there will be no more kissing in public..its embaressing especialy if u were with ur family.. :oops:

Why is it embarrassing? Is it embarrassing that your kids may feel that you don't love their mama like that :)

On a serious note, why is kissing considered so offensive in the Eastern culture? Not only here or the Islamic World but look at India. Richard Gere still has his arrest warrant out for kissing an Indian actress. I don't get it, does it mean the Indian movies, the biggest movie industry in the world, don't have any kissing? The society which gave the world Kama Sutra, doesn't make sense. I'm not saying its a bad thind I just want some of our Indian friends to enlighten us. When I was in India just for 2 days on a business trip to Banglaore, supposedly the most progressive town in India, I didn't see any holding hands or kissing. I did see quite a few beautiful Indian girls. I just wanted to unwrap their sarees and bang them :) I'm in love with Frieda Pinto. I think she is the most gorgeous woman on earth.

When people were discussing belly dancing here, someone said that they wouldn't see it with their family. I get it, you don't want to see too much skin with your kids (I wouldn't go to a strip club with my kids either) but when someone said its "unislamic" thats where I have a major problem. Not only its the height of hypocracy, this form of art origianted in the Arab/Islamic world but because of this kind of thinking the world is in trouble. The religion makes you narrow minded and is/has been the root cause of all the wars.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 24, 2009
naruto wrote:

yes we can...when we go to another country which find it offensive according to thier laws..here in UAE men holds hands and kiss each other not on the lips offcorse..but we dont mind it ..if u mind it its not my problem..i cant force ur country to do the same and stop ppl from kissing each others in public..ur country and ur ppl can do not me. ..in ur country i will not do that ..but i think i have the right to do it in my country...

Naruto I've seen lip kissing, what is that about then?
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 24, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Ewwwww! You see you get bashed in other countries for openly practicing homos.exual behaviour!

The point is, it is not regcognized as H/S behaviour, it is part of the loacal culture.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 24, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Most of this is commen sense, but some of it is just retarded! Residential 'hoods'? hahahahaha

So it's forbidden for unmarried couples to hold hands, kiss etc in public, but ok for guy-guy, girl-girl?

Some of this is just good for a laugh really.

:lol: Guess we might just see annual parades being held in not so distant future.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
naruto wrote:Anyway the most important thing is there will be no more kissing in public..its embaressing especialy if u were with ur family.. :oops:

Why is it embarrassing? Is it embarrassing that your kids may feel that you don't love their mama like that :)

On a serious note, why is kissing considered so offensive in the Eastern culture? Not only here or the Islamic World but look at India. Richard Gere still has his arrest warrant out for kissing an Indian actress. I don't get it, does it mean the Indian movies, the biggest movie industry in the world, don't have any kissing? The society which gave the world Kama Sutra, doesn't make sense. I'm not saying its a bad thind I just want some of our Indian friends to enlighten us. When I was in India just for 2 days on a business trip to Banglaore, supposedly the most progressive town in India, I didn't see any holding hands or kissing. I did see quite a few beautiful Indian girls. I just wanted to unwrap their sarees and bang them :) I'm in love with Frieda Pinto. I think she is the most gorgeous woman on earth.

When people were discussing belly dancing here, someone said that they wouldn't see it with their family. I get it, you don't want to see too much skin with your kids (I wouldn't go to a strip club with my kids either) but when someone said its "unislamic" thats where I have a major problem. Not only its the height of hypocracy, this form of art origianted in the Arab/Islamic world but because of this kind of thinking the world is in trouble. The religion makes you narrow minded and is/has been the root cause of all the wars.

A point well raised and we have been fighting to make the right wing politicians to understand that this is just taking a step backward.

After the Mumbai blasts, which hit the Mumbai's upper middle class and rich, lot of people took to streets and have formed a committee. This committee has raised points with the government, but have not seen the result. Something we need to push further and ensure that there are no double standards.

Hate it when some political party to gain mileage would create a stir and then get some votes from the conservative mindset. Broadly I feel the solution to this is education within rural areas as that still comprises the majority and have the power to decide who rules us. Thus, the educated population sits like a puppet.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Dubai issues list of prohibited public behaviours Mar 24, 2009
this is a case of laws of the *^&@#.

Dubai Executive Council

Hence Dancing and disturbing Loud Music in Public places such as beaches, parks and residential hoods is forbidden; its allowed in its designated places. Whistling, Loud conversations and laughter should be avoided.

UAE national day last year Locals would have been Fined all over the place ?

Only married couples are permitted to hold hands in decent ways that does not harass public civility.

what about holding your childrens hand ?
and how many men do you see holding each others hands in the the UAE ?? I see more here then back home ??

Spreading or circulating false roomers, news’s or jokes that harasses public security, peacefulness and health will be punishable

many work email systems across the UAE could be used to Fine how many workers ? Jokes are punishable in the UAE ??
could this post get me fined ??

Drugs are strictly forbidden. Its position, consumption or trading is con considered a crime.
Any chemicals that affect the mind is prohibited, and consuming it is punishable by law.

what do Doctors give you if you are sick ? or depressed ? did the lawers even look at these laws ??

All nationalities and religions must be respected.

what about the freedoms we have in are home countries ? are they respected ?

thess laws makes no scent unless we were a civlization of plants

do they know we are humans ??
pete t
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2009
K-Dog wrote:When people were discussing belly dancing here, someone said that they wouldn't see it with their family. I get it, you don't want to see too much skin with your kids (I wouldn't go to a strip club with my kids either) but when someone said its "unislamic" thats where I have a major problem. Not only its the height of hypocracy, this form of art origianted in the Arab/Islamic world but because of this kind of thinking the world is in trouble. The religion makes you narrow minded and is/has been the root cause of all the wars.

Belly dancing did NOT fckin' originate as a part of Islam. Any half-assed scholar can tell you that. Just because it originated in an Arab country does NOT mean it is Islamic. Because in your thinking, even a Land Cruiser would be considered an Islamic birthright, going by what happens here.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 24, 2009
gtmash wrote:
K-Dog wrote:When people were discussing belly dancing here, someone said that they wouldn't see it with their family. I get it, you don't want to see too much skin with your kids (I wouldn't go to a strip club with my kids either) but when someone said its "unislamic" thats where I have a major problem. Not only its the height of hypocracy, this form of art origianted in the Arab/Islamic world but because of this kind of thinking the world is in trouble. The religion makes you narrow minded and is/has been the root cause of all the wars.

Belly dancing did NOT fckin' originate as a part of Islam. Any half-assed scholar can tell you that. Just because it originated in an Arab country does NOT mean it is Islamic. Because in your thinking, even a Land Cruiser would be considered an Islamic birthright, going by what happens here.

Thats not the point how and where it originated genius. The point is your radical and dangerous thinking. Things can't be simply branded as "unislamic" or "unchristian". Your narrow mindedness is the problem here along with all the presbyterian and southern baptist preachers who think everybody else is going to hell or the born agains who ask you "Are you Christian" as soon as you meet them.
Why are you living in such an "unislamic" country? where booze and prostitution flow freely in the streets. Have you seen the Marina Liquor Store. Its located inside a mosque (well directly under it in the same structure). I guess that is Dubai's vision of having it both ways.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 24, 2009
gtmash wrote:

belly dancing originated from the romans, greeks, indians and egyptians and othamans and probably persians too.

well before islam the arabian pensiula (however you spell it :D) was run by many great empires (romans, egyptians, persians, greeks, othamans etc) only to be taken over by the Islamic Empire.

But sadly even today you can see belly dancing in most of the arabian countries because of its old tradition roots on the pensiula.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
If you want to read up on the many theories of where bellydance comes from, where it spread, how it is portrayed, where the costumes and newer practices came from you can read the wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belly_dance#Origins

No one said it was an Islamic dance meant for any religious purposes, so just chill. Bellydance has been a part of cultures with Islamic religion and dancing usually takes place in s.e.x segregated groups or in family gatherings. There is no need for slinky costumes. So, anyone who thinks that "bellydancing" is disgusting and anti-Islamic needs to think again. No need to go to a nightclub and see that version of bellydance if you don't want to!

I have fond memories of hanging out with my Iranian friends in Dubai, just us ladies dancing and eating good food - even the children were there dancing. Nothing dirty or immoral about it.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 24, 2009
K-Dog wrote:Why are you living in such an "unislamic" country?

Why am I living here? The same reason you are living here, as you yourself endure your own set of rules/flaws that your Western ass considers to be restrictive and retarded. So don't give me that "if you don't like it, then leave" routine.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 24, 2009
gtmash wrote:
K-Dog wrote:Why are you living in such an "unislamic" country?

Why am I living here? The same reason you are living here, as you yourself endure your own set of rules/flaws that your Western a#s considers to be restrictive and retarded. So don't give me that "if you don't like it, then leave" routine.

gawan boy lol
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
kanelli wrote:If you want to read up on the many theories of where bellydance comes from, where it spread, how it is portrayed, where the costumes and newer practices came from you can read the wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belly_dance#Origins

No one said it was an Islamic dance meant for any religious purposes, so just chill. Bellydance has been a part of cultures with Islamic religion and dancing usually takes place in s.e.x segregated groups or in family gatherings. There is no need for slinky costumes. So, anyone who thinks that "bellydancing" is disgusting and anti-Islamic needs to think again. No need to go to a nightclub and see that version of bellydance if you don't want to!

I have fond memories of hanging out with my Iranian friends in Dubai, just us ladies dancing and eating good food - even the children were there dancing. Nothing dirty or immoral about it.

"bellydance has been part of cultures with islamic religion" :S sorry what exactly are you saying? part of cultures with islamic religion :S

bellydancing is a old tradition. in the old times slaves used to bellydance. in the greek temples there would be belly dancing. in india the great kings would go to special houses just to watch a woman do belly dance.

you will not see belly dancing in UAE in the open air. when i say belly dancing i mean a pretty woman doing hoola hoops wearing less clothes with a bunch of guys around her. if you do please take pics and post them. if you dont then dont go around and saying it happens EVERYWHERE.

Yes it happens but behind closed doors and only for those who wish to go and see it. yes it happens in the middle of the desert and again it is for those who want to go and see it.

bellydancing is a commercial attraction to bring in the bucks and i guess thats why it is still alive together with prostitution. is it worse then prostitution?nope indian movies are shown in UAE where the women wear revealing clothes. nothing wrong with it but it has no links whatsoever with Islam.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
rudeboy wrote:you will not see belly dancing in UAE in the open air.

Yes it happens but behind closed doors and only for those who wish to go and see it. yes it happens in the middle of the desert and again it is for those who want to go and see it.

You managed to contradict yourself in the same post.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:you will not see belly dancing in UAE in the open air.

You managed to contradict yourself in the same post.

sorry i meant you wont see belly dancing in public areas like in front of a school, in a park etc.

desert yes it is open but its arranged by a group tour. so only those on the tour can watch it no1 else.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
kanelli wrote:If you want to read up on the many theories of where bellydance comes from, where it spread, how it is portrayed, where the costumes and newer practices came from you can read the wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belly_dance#Origins

"bellydance has been part of cultures with islamic religion" :S sorry what exactly are you saying? part of cultures with islamic religion :S

bellydancing is a old tradition. in the old times slaves used to bellydance. in the greek temples there would be belly dancing. in india the great kings would go to special houses just to watch a woman do belly dance.

you will not see belly dancing in UAE in the open air. when i say belly dancing i mean a pretty woman doing hoola hoops wearing less clothes with a bunch of guys around her. if you do please take pics and post them. if you dont then dont go around and saying it happens EVERYWHERE.

bellydancing is a commercial attraction to bring in the bucks and i guess thats why it is still alive together with prostitution. is it worse then prostitution?nope indian movies are shown in UAE where the women wear revealing clothes. nothing wrong with it but it has no links whatsoever with Islam.

What don't you understand... bellydance is found in Egypt, Turkey, throughout the Middle East... Is Islam not present in those countries?

Bellydance itself is not immoral and should not be compared to prostitution. It is a beautiful dance that doesn't need to be done only by women for men, and using the kinds of costumes that originated in the US at the World Fair. Dancing of any sort can be viewed as sensual or s.e.x.u.al, so I don't know why bellydance gets a bad rap. It wasn't until hardline Islamists started saying it was bad that bellydance is viewed as shameful by some. Then again, hardliners don't like any music, dance, images of humans doing anything... very restrictive. So sad for such a beautiful dance for women to enjoy, especially for childbirth. Let men and religion get their hands on something and it suddenly becomes "dirty"...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 25, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Thats not the point how and where it originated genius. The point is your radical and dangerous thinking. Things can't be simply branded as "unislamic" or "unchristian". Your narrow mindedness is the problem here along with all the presbyterian and southern baptist preachers who think everybody else is going to hell or the born agains who ask you "Are you Christian" as soon as you meet them.
Why are you living in such an "unislamic" country? where booze and prostitution flow freely in the streets. Have you seen the Marina Liquor Store. Its located inside a mosque (well directly under it in the same structure). I guess that is Dubai's vision of having it both ways.

Where is that marina liquor store, I have been trying to find it
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 25, 2009
Its on the Marina Walk where the fountains are, right next to the Pharmacy
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 25, 2009
naruto wrote:

From Islamic point of view, something doesn't seem right.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 25, 2009
Nucleus wrote:
naruto wrote:

From Islamic point of view, something doesn't seem right.

diffrenets in views and different clutures..and yes from islamic point of view holding hands for men is allowed.. if i hold my friend hands does not mean im gay..its ur inner intention that determin wether its HALAL or HARAM..try to figure this out :lol:
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 25, 2009
K-Dog wrote:

sorry K-dog i know my religion very well and it does not make me narrow minded ..i dont need to follow the westren culture just to show that im open minded..and sorry again if its okay for ur kids to watch porns its not okay with me..i dont want my kids to see two strangers kissing each other ..showing ur kids that u love ur wife is not by kissing in my point of view ..there are many ways, for example respect ur wife, dont cheat on her ..in the west the man wake up in the morning kiss his wife in front of his kids just to show them that he love thier mother..in the night he cheat on her ..they get divorced and seperated and the kids are shocked.
u have ur own culture and i have mine ,so mind ur own culture plz.i dont mind if u have sexx with ur wife in the public, but please obay the rules and dont try doing that here..
peace .bro
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat