Who You Really Are??

Topic locked
Who you really are?? Mar 21, 2009
If you were neither happy or sad, angry or frustrated, you neither loved anyone nor hated .... who would you really be. Who you really are ..... do you even relate to who you have become

worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Who you really are?? Mar 21, 2009
worldguy wrote:If you were neither happy or sad, angry or frustrated, you neither loved anyone nor hated .... who would you really be. Who you really are ..... do you even relate to who you have become

That's a nice thought. is it a quote from a book? Emotionless people frankly scare me, and I avoid them.

Better to experience the full range of emotions than none at all. Hatred and jealousy are destructive, but they are human emotions after all; to deny that you EVER feel them is to deny your humanity.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 21, 2009
There are various pyramid style meditation camps in India where you are not allowed to speak for 10 days. Certainly you find more rich than poor here from across the world. These camps are set in places that are secluded and follow a strict regime. The idea is self discovery. Individuals during those 10 days do not interact or make eye contact. They mediate for most of the time. The diet is milk and fruits and you sleep by 7PM and get up by 4AM. I wanted to go for this camp, just to experience it ... 10 days is not a lot, but one of the British guy I know ... went for that and came back feeling refreshed. He mentioned that he felt that he has washed away all his negative emotions and will be starting afresh.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2009
worldguy wrote:There are various pyramid style meditation camps in India where you are not allowed to speak for 10 days. Certainly you find more rich than poor here from across the world. These camps are set in places that are secluded and follow a strict regime. The idea is self discovery. Individuals during those 10 days do not interact or make eye contact. They mediate for most of the time. The diet is milk and fruits and you sleep by 7PM and get up by 4AM. I wanted to go for this camp, just to experience it ... 10 days is not a lot, but one of the British guy I know ... went for that and came back feeling refreshed. He mentioned that he felt that he has washed away all his negative emotions and will be starting afresh.

Sounds great actually. No-one has the time to look inside themselves now, and when you do you can probably see a lot of things that you don't like. Once identified you can start to change. I think I'd like to do it too.

Also, maybe the rich need it more, the acquisition of wealth can lead you down some doubtful paths.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 22, 2009
When I first came to Dubai and took up employment I went through 4 jobs because I became so frustrated and thought it was them, not me, until I realized that it was me. Coming from New York I was in overdrive and it seemed that everyone was in 2nd gear. I had to slow down if I wanted to stay somewhere for any length of time. In the process I also learned that I need to understand that each nationality had their own way of thinking. Whereas, people who migrated to the US had to change their way of thinking in order survive and basically it is universal in the US. Here I had to learn how people of different nationalities thought, as each nationality brought their own way of thinking. In the US, when it comes down to business there is a universal (meaning American) way of thinking.

After being here a couple of years I found that I was also taking on the racist attitude that was so blatent here. I told my husband that I could not believe I travelled half way across the globe to become a racist. I was so unhappy with myself for allowing myself to be caught up in it. In the US I was colorblind. Different nationalities interested me. When you had a room full of different nationalities no one really noticed.

I don't think you need alot of time to reflect who you are. Take a walk on the beach or sit in a park and think about who you are.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I took part in banter on this forum, but that is all it was - banter. I have learned to take each person as they come regardless of where they come from. I will "cross the line" and stand up for someone who is treated poorly.

I think it is human nature to think that personally we are a better person than the way people may see us, and not as bad a person as people may see us.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 22, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:When I first came to Dubai and took up employment I went through 4 jobs because I became so frustrated and thought it was them, not me, until I realized that it was me. Coming from New York I was in overdrive and it seemed that everyone was in 2nd gear. I had to slow down if I wanted to stay somewhere for any length of time. In the process I also learned that I need to understand that each nationality had their own way of thinking. Whereas, people who migrated to the US had to change their way of thinking in order survive and basically it is universal in the US. Here I had to learn how people of different nationalities thought, as each nationality brought their own way of thinking. In the US, when it comes down to business there is a universal (meaning American) way of thinking.

After being here a couple of years I found that I was also taking on the racist attitude that was so blatent here. I told my husband that I could not believe I travelled half way across the globe to become a racist. I was so unhappy with myself for allowing myself to be caught up in it. In the US I was colorblind. Different nationalities interested me. When you had a room full of different nationalities no one really noticed.

I don't think you need alot of time to reflect who you are. Take a walk on the beach or sit in a park and think about who you are.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I took part in banter on this forum, but that is all it was - banter. I have learned to take each person as they come regardless of where they come from. I will "cross the line" and stand up for someone who is treated poorly.

I think it is human nature to think that personally we are a better person than the way people may see us, and not as bad a person as people may see us.

Ok, after reading this common sense we have to revise our forum relationship right now. 8)
You do make sense, you do have valid points and you stopped the banter. We gotta start over dude. You're starting to make sense now in my view. :wink:

I'm reconsiling at this point as you can obviously see. Its the 'American approach' on nationalities thats making sense here. I like 'the speed' also, have to deal with the same issues with foreign nationalities in Europe.

Keep it up. :wink:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 22, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:When I first came to Dubai and took up employment I went through 4 jobs because I became so frustrated and thought it was them, not me, until I realized that it was me. Coming from New York I was in overdrive and it seemed that everyone was in 2nd gear. I had to slow down if I wanted to stay somewhere for any length of time. In the process I also learned that I need to understand that each nationality had their own way of thinking. Whereas, people who migrated to the US had to change their way of thinking in order survive and basically it is universal in the US. Here I had to learn how people of different nationalities thought, as each nationality brought their own way of thinking. In the US, when it comes down to business there is a universal (meaning American) way of thinking.

Interesting story, for me it's all in the signature
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 22, 2009

Good observation. Heck, I was even raised here and told repeatedly not to rock the boat and accept my place in society, which in my kiddie mind, I simply assumed as staying happily behind whites and locals. It's only after I lived in USA for only two years did I realise how awful the hierarchy system really is here.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 22, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

Ok, after reading this common sense we have to revise our forum relationship right now. 8)
You do make sense, you do have valid points and you stopped the banter. We gotta start over dude. You're starting to make sense now in my view. :wink:

I'm reconsiling at this point as you can obviously see. Its the 'American approach' on nationalities thats making sense here. I like 'the speed' also, have to deal with the same issues with foreign nationalities in Europe.

Keep it up. :wink:[/quote]

Well we will be really good if you stop calling me a dude, dude. :flower:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 22, 2009

Hi, nice post, thoughtful. I don't think a walk in the park would be enough for a lot of people to sort out their issues, but it's a start!

The realisation that different races (nationalities) have different ways of thinking is crucial to surviving intact in a country like this where so many nationalities meet. As you point out, it's the ability to recognise this but not to feel some sort of superiority over other nationalities that defines you as non-racist.

But consider another matter: nationalism or racism? The two are often confused, as much by those practising as those watching. Most Europeans are still strong nationalists at heart, Arabs also, across their country borders (the 'Arab nation' concept). Who belongs to the nation? Our whole world has been defined by nationalism for thousands of years. It's tricky sometimes to disentangle it as a concept from racism, but it does exist and I guess always will. For example, in the UK for a long time, even a suggestion of strong immigration policies by one political party are always shouted down by their opposition as racist. Go figure.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 22, 2009
Thank you all. When I learned that I had to down shift to keep up it helped tremendously. Now I'm in cruise mode.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 22, 2009
Thank you all. When I realized I had to down shift to keep up, so to say, it helped tremendously. Now I'm in cruise mode.

As for catching myself going in the wrong direction, had I not, I would have lost out on the opportunity to have developed some really good friendships here in Dubai as well as close acquaintances. And as we all know, acquaintances we have many, friends we have few (if any in Dubai!!).
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 23, 2009
gtmash wrote:

Good observation. Heck, I was even raised here and told repeatedly not to rock the boat and accept my place in society, which in my kiddie mind, I simply assumed as staying happily behind whites and locals. It's only after I lived in USA for only two years did I realise how awful the hierarchy system really is here.

Hey Gtmash I 2tally get wat u say! I was always thought to bow down and accept authority, be respectful even if u kno the person is an a$$, that kinda thing!
I'm known as a rebel and a troublemaker at times....but thankfully I ain't afraid to stand by my beliefs and live life my way!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Who you really are?? Mar 23, 2009
worldguy wrote:If you were neither happy or sad, angry or frustrated, you neither loved anyone nor hated .... who would you really be. Who you really are ..... do you even relate to who you have become

Our lives are nutin but emotions! And Self Control is that most important trait, which enables us to experience/enjoy a whole range of emotions, that would ultimately enrich us!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 23, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Thank you all. When I learned that I had to down shift to keep up it helped tremendously. Now I'm in cruise mode.

Come on now. We don't like this new Kitty on cruise cintrol :)

I want my old Bora Bora back :lol:
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 23, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Thank you all. When I learned that I had to down shift to keep up it helped tremendously. Now I'm in cruise mode.

Nice to know I'm missed. Keep watching because someone is going to bring out the best of me - again!!!! :twisted:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 23, 2009
K-Dog wrote:

Oh she'll be back allright. We just cleared the way for a truce. And that truce contains some bruises now and then...(per my decree ;))

So prepare yourself for some banter and bashing, the Euro-American way :lol:

Go Bora, Go Bora 8)
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
Well said Bora Bora. A times it just hurts to see people behave the way they do. I have always stood my ground and been in some nasty arguments and realised that people have such set notions. Every country has their good and bad and thus why do people struggle to not judge each individual individually.

We all have a heart, some display it, some have sold it .... others will discover it, but it might just be too late.

The thing that I fail to understand is that in Europe, I find it easier to mix with Europeans than in Dubai. What is that brings the worst out of the some of the well behaved and educated individuals .... beats me. Maybe its the sun ... maybe its the land cruiser's tailing their back and they are just doing the same to somebody else. Tailing their back, till they gave way ... but, this is more an emptional attack .... mental r*pe. I know of guys crying to themsleves after they went through it initially ... some toughen up, some become submissive and some just commit suicide.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 23, 2009
worldguy wrote:Well said Bora Bora. A times it just hurts to see people behave the way they do. I have always stood my ground and been in some nasty arguments and realised that people have such set notions. Every country has their good and bad and thus why do people struggle to not judge each individual individually.

We all have a heart, some display it, some have sold it .... others will discover it, but it might just be too late.

The thing that I fail to understand is that in Europe, I find it easier to mix with Europeans than in Dubai. What is that brings the worst out of the some of the well behaved and educated individuals .... beats me. Maybe its the sun ... maybe its the land cruiser's tailing their back and they are just doing the same to somebody else. Tailing their back, till they gave way ... but, this is more an emptional attack .... mental r*pe. I know of guys crying to themsleves after they went through it initially ... some toughen up, some become submissive and some just commit suicide.

I almost ran a tear drop...was able to handle myself as a European. Pffoee. :lol:
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
ah ... how touching. Its great to see you handled yourself ... hope handled with care!
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 23, 2009
Actually that tear drop was from my nails raking his back!! (Psst Robby, please get it waxed)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 23, 2009
I will honey, I will.

I'm sweet enough by now :grommit:
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Actually that tear drop was from my nails raking his back!! (Psst Robby, please get it waxed)

lol .... seems the cat is alergic to fur ..... :D
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat