Tricks To Stop The Landcruiser Maniacs

Topic locked
Tricks to stop the Landcruiser maniacs Mar 22, 2009
You know the type, you've dared to move into the fast lane to over take someone and some maniac in a Landcruiser sits 30cms from your rear bumper and flashes his lights at you. EVEN THOUGH there is a car to the right of you so you CAN'T actually move out of his way even if you wanted to. What to do? What to do?

Option 1. Clean you windscreen. Use the water and anyone that close to you is going to get a windscreen full of water. Nothing will p!ss them off more. They will probably try to get around you and do the same to you but here is a secret, if you're not right behind someone their washers don't actually get you. ha!

Option 2. Flick your rear-vision mirror down. You know that little tab on the mirror? Flick that down or better yet push the mirror to some stupid angle so it is obvious you can't see them behind you anymore. Works brilliantly. I did it today to some landcruiser maniac with tinted windows and a deathwish and he immediately changed three lanes over to get around me. Problem solved.

Now I must say, when on the open highway I move out of the way for people if it is safe. If it is not safe or we are in heavy traffic then I'm not moving anywhere.

I know it's not just the Landcruisers, but they are the most prominent in my book. Works equally well for all wankers on the road.

Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 22, 2009
Capt Aus...your such a noob !

Here is what I usually do. Flick the right indicator just once and keep driving until just around 50 to 100 mtrs before a radar and then move, Usually by this time the guy behind is flustrated enough and guns the throttle as soon as you move and you see a nice flash 8)

Also another fav is if the guy is really really stuck behind me, enough so that I can hardly see him in my side mirror. I just switch on the rear fog lights ( both my range rover and discovery have these ) and the dude thinks I've braked !!!!!! :shock: and he also brakes hard. Only when he is left way behind he realises what might have happened and then trys to catch up with you.

Although I must admit I really depends what car your driving. No one actually ever honks or flashes me in my A code plate range rover. And also when I had the 80% tinted 4 digit plate land cruiser total bedu style, with the mandatory picture of Shk Zayed on the rear wind screen ( Although this was totally out of respect for the leader during the time he passed away ). Once I just did it for kicks, drove like 90kms in the fast lane a white GMC came running from far behind and slowed down behind me and went on like this for around 3 to 5 mins and then when there was space overtook me from the right lane and sped off.

So moral of the story is. You got to drive a car with street cred here ( namely a proper SUV, none of thos ghay Kia's Huyundai and Isuzu's ) if you want to avoid road rage and the general dubai driving madness. Although it does not buy totally immunity.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 22, 2009
This is common in Holland. When there's a deathwish behind me that bumpers me at 30cm...what I do is think about the law and insurance related issues regarding the law and then I suddenly tip my brakes. SQUEKEKKEEKK.... :D:D:D

You watch them faces. First a tap, and when he's scared like hell, hit the slammer. In holland, the one that crashes in the back, is always wrong since he didn't maintain enough space to brake for emergency stops.

Its that simple. Tap and slam...always works. It could get a bit of damage though. He's paying thats for sure....in Holland ;)
RobbyG

Mar 22, 2009
Same here, but I really don't want to fcuk up my Range and Disco
desertdudeshj

Mar 23, 2009
Oh and before I forget...I drive BMW, so you don't need a cheap car to do the thing I described,.... as long as it ain't new. Then I would remain sane and simply use the finger for a second while maintaining my position in the lane....while I treasure my new paint shine ;)

:D
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
As much as I wish that I could applaud you guys, I have to reluctantly disagree; reluctant because I despise these jerks and honestly wish them dead (no exaggeration). But such maneuvers don't only endanger the other driver. You, your passengers, and anyone else who may be caught in the crossfire are vulnerable.

This last weekend, I was the victim of one of these Land Cruisers and I had the audacity to flip him off as he passed me once I was finally able to change lanes. That pissed him off and he thought it right to get in front of me and slam on his brakes while trying to force me off the road. I didn't wish to play his game though so I didn't stop. Guys like that live under a different set of rules from me.

Therefore, as much as I would love to see these guys get killed through their own stupidity or my defense against their stupidity, I have to reluctantly yield to a pressing need to keep me and my loved ones safe.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 23, 2009
Your absolutely right GC. Sometimes we get a little carried away and do things we normally shouldn't do....but hey the happen sometimes.

You are right though. When I have passengers, I never even think of doing that. Even when I'm driving in huge traffic it will not happen. Depend purely on the situation. A tap is normally enough to scare em, and save you some time to put the car in the right lane.

But if they persist, you can either deny them or give them something to think about....
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:As much as I wish that I could applaud you guys, I have to reluctantly disagree; reluctant because I despise these jerks and honestly wish them dead (no exaggeration). But such maneuvers don't only endanger the other driver. You, your passengers, and anyone else who may be caught in the crossfire are vulnerable.

This last weekend, I was the victim of one of these Land Cruisers and I had the audacity to flip him off as he passed me once I was finally able to change lanes. That pissed him off and he thought it right to get in front of me and slam on his brakes while trying to force me off the road. I didn't wish to play his game though so I didn't stop. Guys like that live under a different set of rules from me.

Therefore, as much as I would love to see these guys get killed through their own stupidity or my defense against their stupidity, I have to reluctantly yield to a pressing need to keep me and my loved ones safe.

Cure....get your self a Land cruiser or Nissan Patrol and do a good tint job. Invest in a good number plate and literally watch your troubles fly away.
desertdudeshj

Mar 23, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:
gamercowboy wrote:As much as I wish that I could applaud you guys, I have to reluctantly disagree; reluctant because I despise these jerks and honestly wish them dead (no exaggeration). But such maneuvers don't only endanger the other driver. You, your passengers, and anyone else who may be caught in the crossfire are vulnerable.

Cure....get your self a Land cruiser or Nissan Patrol and do a good tint job. Invest in a good number plate and literally watch your troubles fly away.

He is basically saying to become one of them.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 23, 2009
No not really. Never told you to behave like them. Just something with a little more street cred so you don't get pushed around a lot.
desertdudeshj

Mar 23, 2009
Capn Aus and others - I used to try the same schemes.

This one guy was harassing me on an internal road, flashign and sticking to me - and I had cars in front of me and cars parked on the sides. The only way I could give way was if my car had wings.

To my bad luck one of these guys turned out to be a CID. within the next hour I get a call asking me to come over to the police station. you can probably guess the rest - the threats and other nonsense. kept quite for a long time before I made a phone call - and these guys then just disappeared and said it was a misunderstanding and let me go.

Nevertheless, it was a bullshit experience. I'd hate to think what whould happen to anyone without contacts. Thats why I hate driving now.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 23, 2009
Thats the main issue; people abusing their powers . If it was a level playing field, more of us could try not giving way to these morons. But when people abuse their powers/authority, it makes sense to be safe than sorry....
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 23, 2009
Anyone think of putting a single-flash strobe light in their rear window? Just something small, but enough to make a tailgater a bit freaked out. I could see a whole load of fun coming out of this, but as soon as you flash a CID guy, there goes all the fun. You'd have to come up with some pretty good excuses.
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Tricks to stop the Landcruiser maniacs Mar 23, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:You know the type, you've dared to move into the fast lane to over take someone and some maniac in a Landcruiser sits 30cms from your rear bumper and flashes his lights at you. EVEN THOUGH there is a car to the right of you so you CAN'T actually move out of his way even if you wanted to. What to do? What to do?

Option 1. Clean you windscreen. Use the water and anyone that close to you is going to get a windscreen full of water. Nothing will p!ss them off more. They will probably try to get around you and do the same to you but here is a secret, if you're not right behind someone their washers don't actually get you. ha!

Option 2. Flick your rear-vision mirror down. You know that little tab on the mirror? Flick that down or better yet push the mirror to some stupid angle so it is obvious you can't see them behind you anymore. Works brilliantly. I did it today to some landcruiser maniac with tinted windows and a deathwish and he immediately changed three lanes over to get around me. Problem solved.

Now I must say, when on the open highway I move out of the way for people if it is safe. If it is not safe or we are in heavy traffic then I'm not moving anywhere.

I know it's not just the Landcruisers, but they are the most prominent in my book. Works equally well for all wankers on the road.

I simply kick down and speed a head of him... I enjoy watching those landcrusers unable to catch up...

however, I dont get it.. if one of them flash me and there was no room ANYWAY to speed ahead of him due to traffic, I always give him the way...

What I mean to say, its wrong to force him takeover me as that would cause accidents... I just move to the side and let him pass... no need to piss him off or piss myself too...

to everyone, not giving way to speeding cars on the fast lane when you could move a side and give way is considered as "obstructing traffic" and police can issue you a fine. however, if the guy flashing you is not maintaining distance is also going to receive a fine for not keeping distance.

desertdudeshj wrote:Also another fav is if the guy is really really stuck behind me, enough so that I can hardly see him in my side mirror. I just switch on the rear fog lights ( both my range rover and discovery have these ) and the dude thinks I've braked !!!!!! Shocked and he also brakes hard. Only when he is left way behind he realises what might have happened and then trys to catch up with you.

this trick is awesome :lol:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 23, 2009
RobbyG wrote:This is common in Holland. When there's a deathwish behind me that bumpers me at 30cm...what I do is think about the law and insurance related issues regarding the law and then I suddenly tip my brakes. SQUEKEKKEEKK.... :D:D:D

You watch them faces. First a tap, and when he's scared like hell, hit the slammer. In holland, the one that crashes in the back, is always wrong since he didn't maintain enough space to brake for emergency stops.

Its that simple. Tap and slam...always works. It could get a bit of damage though. He's paying thats for sure....in Holland ;)

This is actually very stupid as most of these morons, when they do get around you normally try to do exactly the same thing. Just let them go and smack into someone else.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 23, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
RobbyG wrote:This is common in Holland. When there's a deathwish behind me that bumpers me at 30cm...what I do is think about the law and insurance related issues regarding the law and then I suddenly tip my brakes. SQUEKEKKEEKK.... :D:D:D

This is actually very stupid as most of these morons, when they do get around you normally try to do exactly the same thing. Just let them go and smack into someone else.

I agree with Chocos...
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 23, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:Capn Aus and others - I used to try the same schemes.

This one guy was harassing me on an internal road, flashign and sticking to me - and I had cars in front of me and cars parked on the sides. The only way I could give way was if my car had wings.

To my bad luck one of these guys turned out to be a CID. within the next hour I get a call asking me to come over to the police station. you can probably guess the rest - the threats and other nonsense. kept quite for a long time before I made a phone call - and these guys then just disappeared and said it was a misunderstanding and let me go.

Nevertheless, it was a bullshit experience. I'd hate to think what whould happen to anyone without contacts. Thats why I hate driving now.

CID guys are usually a bunch of early-20s high-school drop-outs. A few on them recently beat up the manager of Gulf Med College Hospital in Ajman because he tried to make one of them wait his turn. What threats did they make and who did you call?
Pankaj
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 23, 2009
I would never buy an SUV let alone put dark tints on it. And high dollar license plates? Please. I'm not made of money and there are uncountable other more productive ways that I could spend that kind of cash.

No, I just change my driving style to drive even more defensively than normal. For example, I hardly ever drive in the 2nd lane of Sheikh Zayed Road and I absolutely never drive in the 1st lane. I won't be going to Fujairah any time soon; not unless they widen that road or complete a trans-emirate railway.

Some things are worth fighting for but I have always hated driving and, as much as some people would claim otherwise, driving is not a right- it's a privilege. Plus, I care very little about the UAE; which is great because the UAE cares little for me. There's no point in trying to make these roads safer when the inhabitants seem to like the danger and I would be more than happy to see them all kill themselves.

Too bad they tend to take out some innocents along with them.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 23, 2009
quatroporte wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

I agree with Chocos...

Absolutely, this is extremely dangerous and should be avoided.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 23, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:I would never buy an SUV let alone put dark tints on it. And high dollar license plates? Please. I'm not made of money and there are uncountable other more productive ways that I could spend that kind of cash.

No, I just change my driving style to drive even more defensively than normal. For example, I hardly ever drive in the 2nd lane of Sheikh Zayed Road and I absolutely never drive in the 1st lane. I won't be going to Fujairah any time soon; not unless they widen that road or complete a trans-emirate railway.

Some things are worth fighting for but I have always hated driving and, as much as some people would claim otherwise, driving is not a right- it's a privilege. Plus, I care very little about the UAE; which is great because the UAE cares little for me. There's no point in trying to make these roads safer when the inhabitants seem to like the danger and I would be more than happy to see them all kill themselves.

Too bad they tend to take out some innocents along with them.

Ahh but you see my friend all of this can be had for the price of less than a 3 year old corolla 8) . Me I cannot drive a sedan anymore. It feels so weird. Its like I'm dragging my bottom on the road ! And can't see past the car in front of you. I'm a defensive driver and if I see a car brake five cars ahead of me I let go of the gas and get ready to eventually brake. With a low slung car I am at the mercy of the dude in fornt of me even keep a distance of two seconds. It doesn't feel safe !

PLUS. 90% of the country has no roads so you need a car with can occasiionaly go off the beaten path.
desertdudeshj

Mar 23, 2009
I imagine that's your preference since you've been driving 4x4s for a long time and judging by your many posts on off-road driving, you use them for their intended purpose.

On the other hand, I prefer small cars. I think even a Honda Accord is a bit larger than I would like to drive. I like small, light, and economical. Besides, many studies show that smaller, lighter cars can be safer than large SUVs.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 23, 2009
All this is easily fixable, with the addition of a $650 Train Horn. Make student drivers s#!t their pants, make businessmen and women launch their coffees across their dashboards, and make your average tailgating a$$hole freak out and try to get away from your glass-shattering air-powered behemoths.
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 23, 2009
IF you want a small and roomy car. Try the Honda Jazz. Its like Dr Whos Tardis
desertdudeshj

Mar 23, 2009

Oh and before I forget...I drive BMW, so you don't need a cheap car to do the thing I described...

It's a very common freud not only in Holland but everywhere in the World.
Somebody even doesn't repair minor damages and scratches after first case to suck people in the future. It's a good addition to somebody's dole but the only problem that you would be in trouble with crimanal police and insurance companies after the third similar case...

Rob, It's good for you that you did it in Holland. Some LC or X5 drivers could resolve the similar accident without police invovment in Russia. I don't support their solutions though...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 23, 2009
I know, I know....I'm baaaaddd am I not!? ;)

Its a rough call, but it works...you see them young puppie eyes in the rear mirror, totally scared and sometimes frustrated but it sets the mind thinking..."I could actually crash here, or worse....die!"

Then they swander off and suddenly see all things in perspective. Life is simply relative. There's always a bigger boogyman around... Giant Robby, hence the name....RobbyG. :D :D :D

J/K
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
Rob, as I said, I would fear for you not for the puppy with round face, short haircut and heavy gold neckchain in Russia...
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 23, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Rob, as I said, I would fear for you not for the puppy with round face, short haircut and heavy gold neckchain in Russia...
8) 8) 8)

But hey, I'm always scared for russians. Man I have this crazy thing with communism and KGB FSB whatever... shivering Chicken here 8)
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
Getting back on track...................

I avoid the far left lane.

First, people who use it think that when the speed is "100" you must travel over 100.

Second, I figure when the laborer takes the leap, committing suicide for blood money, better the fool in the far left lane than me. Seven labors did this on SZR in a period of 2 weeks. I stick to the middle lane as I figure it would be quite a leap to hit my car!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 23, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Getting back on track...................

First, people who use it think that when the speed is "100" you must travel over 100.

Second, I figure when the laborer takes the leap, committing suicide for blood money, better the fool in the far left lane than me. Seven labors did this on SZR in a period of 2 weeks. I stick to the middle lane as I figure it would be quite a leap to hit my car!

I know a way to get them landcruisers off track easily.

Just throw a few of these out the window and wanna bet those landcruisers seek refuge on other lanes? Or won't they.... 8)

Say Bora, you can always throw yourself on the tarmac. Maybe they get scared of those eyes you got there honey 8)
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Getting back on track...................

I know a way to get them landcruisers off track easily.

Just throw a few of these out the window and wanna bet those landcruisers seek refuge on other lanes? Or won't they.... 8)

Say Bora, you can always throw yourself on the tarmac. Maybe they get scared of those eyes you got there honey 8)

Well Robby, I was thinking that you might make a good hood ornament and then I can ram the landcruiser from behind.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat