Etisalat Offers 8 &16 Mbps Packages

Topic locked
Etisalat offers 8 &16 Mbps packages Mar 07, 2009
Abu Dhabi, 03 March 2009, In yet another pioneering accomplishment, Etisalat introduced the fastest home internet in the UAE by announcing two new fixed broadband packages - 16 and 8 Mbps as part of Al Shamil Broadband offering.

Based on the Fibre to the Home (FTTH) technology, the new packages will significantly boost the current speed of Internet, and encourage new avenues for internet surfing like online gaming, audio and video streaming. Etisalat has already connected 300,000 homes in the UAE on FTTH (Fibre to the Home) network; that can now benefit from the fastest internet speeds. Etisalat aims to connect the UAE households through FTTH network by 2011, which will yet become another milestone in its own right.

Available in the FTTH connected areas and priced at AED 499/month for 8 Mbps ‎ ‎ and AED 549/month for 16 Mbps‎, the new packages are also available for existing customers in the coverage area, keen on upgrading their account. Customers can gain from four times faster speed by just paying AED 100 more and also benefit from the additional offers that include free installation, one month rental waiver, 5 free email IDs in the .EIM domain with 3GB capacity, along with 8 hours per month free access into 300+ Etisalat hotspots. In addition, that they will also get free eSupport software and Norton Internet Security software.

a_y_a_z_z
Dubai Forum User

Mar 08, 2009
This is good I guess, but it's only for those in the FTTH areas?

You don't need fibre to get speeds like 8 and 16 Mbps anyway. You can do it with twisted pair if you just put the infrastructure (DSLAMs) into the exchanges, like Du have.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 09, 2009
With those louzy prices, no one needs it.

I like Etisalat when i asked "How come you dont have connections up to 50mb plus like in other countries" and his reply was "there is no demand"

HAHAHAH....did he ever stop to THINK why there is no demand?

450 aed for 4mb...lol..yeah right...and then they pay people salaries of 4,500 AED....."no demand" he says....

So close....yet so far....
guest999

Mar 09, 2009
The price is actually fairly reasonable if you consider that 512 kbps is 189/month; 16 Mbps would be 32 times faster yet only costs 3 times more. Unfortunately, it's not widely available.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 10, 2009
I went to the ajman branch of etisalat, because that's where I live. the guy there was, firstly very rude to me and was not answering proerly and secondly, he told me it's only available for new buildings that have FTTH.
a_y_a_z_z
Dubai Forum User

Apr 14, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm actually interested to know more about the FTTH experience, if any one of you are subscribed to it.

Basically would like to know whether you find it:
1. Affordable (with relevance to other offerings)
2. Convenient to set up and access
3. Faster than DSLAM
4. And what's the sweet spot for broadband in Dubai right now
5. Btw, does du or Etisalat offer mobile broadband on 3G? How's the reception on that?
siegeknife
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk