Comics In Dubai?

Topic locked
Comics in Dubai? Jan 27, 2009
Hello.

I will be visiting Dubai in a few weeks. I have been there before numerous times, and have always been looking for a store dedicated to comics. The closest thing I found was a bookstore in City Center that had a collection of old DC comics. When I was there last (October of last year), that bookstore seemed to have diappeared.

My question, to not waste more of your time, is whether or not there is a comics store in Dubai. If there isn't, is there any store that has a good collection of older comics?

Please note that I am aware that most bookstores and department stores stock newer comics, but they are too few and not what I'm looking for.

Thank you for your time.

CSD
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 27, 2009
just dont ask me how.......but a few years ago, a friend downloaded the entire collection of asterix, tintin and even several DC comics from the internet. - pdfs
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 27, 2009
There are a couple of second hand book stores in town, but not sure if any of them are stocking comics. Will check with one that is local to me and report.

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 27, 2009
Bear in mind that all literature coming into the UAE for sale, as well as literature published within the UAE is subject to censorship prior to distribution.

Think that you will find that comics don't really rate high on the priority list at the censor department. The collection(s) that you may have come across may be the result of a few avid expat collectors who may have moved on and sold off their collections.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 27, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:just dont ask me how.......but a few years ago, a friend downloaded the entire collection of asterix, tintin and even several DC comics from the internet. - pdfs

No, I'm aware of such channels, but I find reading comics on a monitor intolerable.

Dubai Knight wrote:There are a couple of second hand book stores in town, but not sure if any of them are stocking comics. Will check with one that is local to me and report.

I would greatly appreciate that, thank you.

dbxsoul wrote:The collection(s) that you may have come across may be the result of a few avid expat collectors who may have moved on and sold off their collections.

That occurred to me. However, the comics I was referring to were pretty much in mint condition and showed no signs of ever being read. There were several duplicates of most of the comics, which led me to believe they were purchased in bulk.
CSD
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 28, 2009
While there aren't any comics or gaming stores in Dubai, we do have Kinokuniya, the largest freakin bookstore I've ever seen. It's in the new Dubai Mall and it has the largest comic book collection in all of Dubai. I'm way out of the loop when it comes to comics nowadays so I don't know much about what's good.

If you're into graphic novels though, they have the whole of the Civil War (Marvel) series, some Flight books, and many, many others.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 28, 2009
Gamercowboy, you have made my day, man! I have never been to Dubai Mall (it wasn't open when I was there in October), but now I'm definitely going. Thanks for the tip.

As for gaming stores, I'm pretty sure I saw at least one in Emirates Mall. It was on the ground floor.
CSD
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 28, 2009
CSD wrote:As for gaming stores, I'm pretty sure I saw at least one in Emirates Mall. It was on the ground floor.

By gaming store, I meant more like Warhammer, D&D, and tabletop gaming. We have plenty of computer and video games available here but despite my nickname, I'm no longer much of a (video) gamer.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 29, 2009
Sorry, I should have guessed that. Thanks again.
CSD
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum