Lady In Distress,.....

Topic locked
Lady in distress,..... Jan 27, 2009
HI All

I have searched the site for an answer on this but cannot find anything related, direct me if i am wrong!!

I am about to buy a second hand car, 2003 Volkswagon Beetle or a 2003 Ford Focus. I know nothing about cars or what to check when buying second hand.

Your opinion on both cars; and what I should check for when viewing them would be much appreciated. Also, if there was any garage I could take it to that can check it for me at a cost (how much would this be??)

thanks for any help :?: :?: :)

mizzyk
Dubai Forum User

Re: Lady in distress,..... Jan 27, 2009
mizzyk wrote:HI All

I have searched the site for an answer on this but cannot find anything related, direct me if i am wrong!!

I am about to buy a second hand car, 2003 Volkswagon Beetle or a 2003 Ford Focus. I know nothing about cars or what to check when buying second hand.

Your opinion on both cars; and what I should check for when viewing them would be much appreciated. Also, if there was any garage I could take it to that can check it for me at a cost (how much would this be??)

thanks for any help :?: :?: :)

The Beetle is quirky and based on a VW Golf chassis, which makes it a good and solid machine. It feels a little strange at first as the windscreen is a LONG way away from you, but they drive quite well. The automatic version is pretty gutless, but you might prefer it here in Dubai traffic.

The Ford has been around a while also and is a good car. The hatchback version is a little more practical than the booted saloon, but both are reliable in their own ways. Watch out for the interior trim, the panels in the doors tend to fall out and the electric window mechanisms have a tendency to break (Its 1500Dhs to replace the motor alone!!!)

Only thing I can suggest to look for in both models here are:

1. Regular service record
2. Obvious signs of an accident (paint overspray on rubber trim and under wheel arches)
3. Check the brakes, they get heavily used here
4. Make sure both are full Gulf specification. Some of the Ford built in Spain or Germany are then imported with European spec A/C systems rather than the more powerful ones required here. There should be a sticker in the side of the drivers door that states the country of manufacture.

Apart from that, you can get an inspection on either vehicle for between 300 Dhs and 500 Dhs at the main dealers: Al Tayer for the Ford and Al Naboodah for the VW.

They will probably tell you that both need full services and many things replacing (its their job to boost their profit at your expense) alternately, you can take them to an independent garage such as Al Bustani Garage in Al Nahdha, (call Hagob on 050 451 7533) who will give you an honest appraisal if you buy him a cup of coffee!

Best of luck and happy motoring!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 27, 2009
Same as what DK said. Would you consider something else though? Beetle parts are expensive I think and a 2003 model is getting on a bit. I haven't seen Ford Focus that much here. A Toyota Corolla is similar and probably more reliable. Here's more about buying a car in Dubai (with a longer list of things to check) :).
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 28, 2009
Ford Focus drives well, but if parts are going to start pulling off the interior as DK says, then pass. I'm biased against VW cars - had one before and it was a piece of crap. Do you have any other alternatives? Do make sure to check what the common problems are for the make and model for the that year, and get an inspection done.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 28, 2009
I'd recommend a base Cooper over the unreliable Beetle. My girlfriend had an '04 Bug and it was nothing but a heap of problems. I had a JCW CooperS and that was probably the most exciting car I have ever owned.. 'twas quite reliable as well.

How about a Mazda 3? It looks great, drives better than any comparable Toyota or Honda and is extremely reliable I guess.
zzzane
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 28, 2009
ok the cars you mentioned are basically crap. also i noticed you want to go for second hand car. i have had bad experiences with second hand cars. personally i would recommend you go for a brand new if you can.

if not rent one. my friend is renting a car out he is paying some amount every month but he doesnt have to worry about the maintainence as the rent company pays for it and sends him a replacement car.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 01, 2009
Thanks for all the replys!

No I am not limited to either car, the VW was sold and I am just not overly keen on the Focus.

To be honest I am trying to get something decent looking and functioning with a budget of 15-20k AED.

Any other suggestions! I have decided to rent a car weekly for the time being as this car hunting is NOT going well at all!

Thanks again for all suggestions..... and DK for detailed response :wink:
mizzyk
Dubai Forum User

Feb 02, 2009
mizzyk wrote:Any other suggestions! I have decided to rent a car weekly for the time being as this car hunting is NOT going well at all!

Take your time. Renting long term is not a silly idea either.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 03, 2009
mizzyk wrote:Thanks for all the replys!

No I am not limited to either car, the VW was sold and I am just not overly keen on the Focus.

To be honest I am trying to get something decent looking and functioning with a budget of 15-20k AED.

Any other suggestions! I have decided to rent a car weekly for the time being as this car hunting is NOT going well at all!

Thanks again for all suggestions..... and DK for detailed response :wink:

yeh keep on renting. dont go for a 2nd hand car. if you have to get a car go for a new one.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 04, 2009
I dont know how long I'll be in Dubai, could be 1 year, it could be 5, so until I know for sure how things are going, I do not really want to invest in a new car
mizzyk
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto