What's Up With The New Speed Cameras On SZR

Topic locked
Nov 25, 2008
Waqsy wrote:Surely if you was to do a excessive speed of 140km/h for example for half the distance between camera 1 and 2, and then a slow 80km/h for the other half its not theoretically possible for it to catch you

That would be my guess too. However if you're likely to do 140 in the first place, you wont want to slow down to 80 afterwards. Maybe a bit of fun when there's space etc, you just cant keep it up.

How about those traffic camera detectors? Are they available here? Just for the spot speeding of course, not average speed fines.

seardarren
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 14, 2008
so they're still not working yet right?

Am i still safe to do 120km? between WTC and Marina?
greatexpectations
Dubai Forum User

Dec 14, 2008
the first three interchanges on SZR are 120 cap... after that they are all 140KM cap.

second... I can't believe that all of you trusting a fake email spreading around!!!!!!!! did you read an official statement saying that those speed cameras dont flash!!

90% of those new pole cameras are not yet operational or working and are still under testing... second... they all will flash... no infrared option have been enabled.

those new cameras will not do anything new other than speed tickets and from the same taken photograph they may issue you seat belt ticket or speaking on the phone ticket.

the scary part that it can detect our speed from 150m away which we need to maintain caution.

just don't take it too serious guys... chill out :)
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 14, 2008
quatroporte wrote:no infrared option have been enabled.

Infrared photograph is cool. Probaly you watched "Star wars" a lot.

Have anybody of you, guys, worn night viewer (in the army for ex.) to speak about reading plate in the absolute darkness?

Only for your inf. IR is actually a measure of a body heat no more no less.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2008
Red Chief wrote:
quatroporte wrote:no infrared option have been enabled.

Infrared photograph is cool. Probaly you watched "Star wars" a lot.

Have anybody of you, guys, worn night viewer (in the army for ex.) to speak about reading plate in the absolute darkness?

Only for your inf. IR is actually a measure of a body heat no more no less.

you need to do a bit of reading....

it is known as "Infrared Photography" and it is possible to take images in darkness with this technique... however, the images produced may end up low quality and in Black&white only... you can do this with any DSLR camera (if you own one).
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 14, 2008
Ok. What do YOU mean speaking about infrared option?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2008
Red Chief wrote:Ok. What do YOU mean speaking about infrared option?

you need to read the other replies on this thread...

what I meant with the infrared option is that RTA did not implement the Infrared "add-on" which can be shipped with this advanced Swedish pole cameras.

simply the answer is: Yes, those cameras can shot at night without flash and No, not yet implemented in Dubai.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 14, 2008
quatroporte wrote:

what I meant with the infrared option is that RTA did not implement the Infrared "add-on" which can be shipped with this advanced Swedish pole cameras.

simply the answer is: Yes, those cameras can shot at night without flash and No, not yet implemented in Dubai.

Yes they are infra red.
Yes, Dubai Police DID take the option.
Yes, they flash, but they flash in infra red, so you can't see it.
Yes, they do take Hi-res images (12.1 mega pixel)
Yes, they can detect non wearing of seatbelt and mobile phone use
Yes, the can also detect improper lane changing and many other offences
Yes, they can work out average speeds between cameras
Yes, they are fully operational

No, they are German, not Swedish
No, you can't get away from them

Endex.
Official.
Direct from Dubai Police headquarters and our man inside, Inspector Al Knacker of The Yard.
Accept no substitutes.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 14, 2008
I suggest everyone follow the road rules and give zero tolerance...

then what about my idea of buying Infiniti G37s

:shock:
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Dec 14, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:Yes, they flash, but they flash in infra red, so you can't see it.

This is exactly what I asked for. It gots more clear but not entirely...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
quatroporte wrote:

Yes they are infra red.
Yes, Dubai Police DID take the option.
Yes, they flash, but they flash in infra red, so you can't see it.
Yes, they do take Hi-res images (12.1 mega pixel)
Yes, they can detect non wearing of seatbelt and mobile phone use
Yes, the can also detect improper lane changing and many other offences
Yes, they can work out average speeds between cameras
Yes, they are fully operational

No, they are German, not Swedish
No, you can't get away from them

Endex.
Official.
Direct from Dubai Police headquarters and our man inside, Inspector Al Knacker of The Yard.
Accept no substitutes.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

read again.. this is the official website of this camera.. its Swedish.

www.sensys.se

I will leave you with your inside man to enjoy :D :D I still drive and pass through those cameras on 180... coz I will be notified when those will get active... infact it will be announced in public.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 15, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:Yes, they flash, but they flash in infra red, so you can't see it.

I've seen them flashing already.
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 15, 2008
its the misplaced arrogance of some people's uneducated opinion that is most frustrating about all this

i just get the impression some people like the idea of giving people the impression they know what they're talking about

...i also get the impression some people seem to think these cameras are actually going to grow arms and legs and chase you down the road before issuing you an on-the-spot fine for releasing the handbrake before putting the car in gear that morning.

i don't claim the luxury of any 'men in the know' nonsense, but the facts are one of these new cameras flashed me in broad daylight and i got a fine from it about two months or so ago on SZR near Metrolpolitan Hotel (i think thats roughly where that camera is)

opposed to reading spurious emails and forming an incredibly defiant opinion based on an email, i was actually flashed by one and got a fine. seems as much evidence as anyone would need. and i would have thought has more weight than a random email that you receive from your friends...

that said, i travel to AD every day from Dubai Marina and have been going through the new speed cameras at the Ghantoot stretch at 150kmh since they were installed and have received no fines

the fine from the one near Metropolitan came through within a few days, but many weeks have passed with no flashes from the ones at Ghantoot

drive safely, of course, but give the playground battle to be the dominant male of the virtual world a rest
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 15, 2008
funkygibbon wrote:its the misplaced arrogance of some people's uneducated opinion that is most frustrating about all this

i just get the impression some people like the idea of giving people the impression they know what they're talking about

...i also get the impression some people seem to think these cameras are actually going to grow arms and legs and chase you down the road before issuing you an on-the-spot fine for releasing the handbrake before putting the car in gear that morning.

i don't claim the luxury of any 'men in the know' nonsense, but the facts are one of these new cameras flashed me in broad daylight and i got a fine from it about two months or so ago on SZR near Metrolpolitan Hotel (i think thats roughly where that camera is)

opposed to reading spurious emails and forming an incredibly defiant opinion based on an email, i was actually flashed by one and got a fine. seems as much evidence as anyone would need. and i would have thought has more weight than a random email that you receive from your friends...

that said, i travel to AD every day from Dubai Marina and have been going through the new speed cameras at the Ghantoot stretch at 150kmh since they were installed and have received no fines

the fine from the one near Metropolitan came through within a few days, but many weeks have passed with no flashes from the ones at Ghantoot

drive safely, of course, but give the playground battle to be the dominant male of the virtual world a rest

respect and salute to you. finally someone speaks common sense.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 15, 2008
funkygibbon wrote:drive safely, of course, but give the playground battle to be the dominant male of the virtual world a rest

Looooool

Dominant male of the virtual world: Contestants get ready for the final prize.

:D:D:D
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 15, 2008
Going slightly off subject-ish, do you know anyone who has been unaware that they have been caught speeding on camera, and unaware of the fine only to be held at the airport for unpaid fines ?

Or for any other fines for that matter?

Sorry, sounds barking, but there is a certain sense of paranoia dealing with the authorities sometimes. :shock:
Wednesday Jones
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 15, 2008
Sigh...

OK...the guy who claims he was flashed by the camera and received a fine 'a couple of months ago' please refer to the earlier posts in this thread. That camera has been there for a while but is the OLD technology and will flash at you.

The new cameras do not flash in the visible light spectrum.

There are 2 different 'new cameras'. The ones we are discussing are definitely German (not Swedish, they are the older ones) and are in a completely round pod, not in a little plastic box on top of a thin pole. They are round because the camera is able to pan in both directions and follow your number plate as you go by. The were initially installed only on the Emirates Road.

Enough on this subject. Dubai Police Traffic Department provided the information and I think, if anyone knows, they do.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 15, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:Sigh...

OK...the guy who claims he was flashed by the camera and received a fine 'a couple of months ago' please refer to the earlier posts in this thread. That camera has been there for a while but is the OLD technology and will flash at you.

The new cameras do not flash in the visible light spectrum.

There are 2 different 'new cameras'. The ones we are discussing are definitely German (not Swedish, they are the older ones) and are in a completely round pod, not in a little plastic box on top of a thin pole. They are round because the camera is able to pan in both directions and follow your number plate as you go by. The were initially installed only on the Emirates Road.

Enough on this subject. Dubai Police Traffic Department provided the information and I think, if anyone knows, they do.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight

ohhh ok, I confused with you with the other model

its called the PoliScan and yes its German
http://www.vitronic.de/uploads/media/ti_PoliScan_speed_mobil_stationaer_englisch_72dpi_03.pdf

first to my knowledge there are only 3 installed, one on Al Khail road, one on SZR and one on emirates Rd... and are not yet active!!! those are under testing (please READ gulfnews, they clearly stated that they are under testing)

second, the other Swedish model which *will* be used is already being installed all over Emirates Road, Dubai-Hatta road with 1.5KM separating each unit. soon SZR will be followed with Dubai-AlAin Road. and they are bought at the same period as poliscan is.

well, there are two models being tested. however the Swedish model is what will be used in Dubai in various highways. its not clear if they will use both the German and the Swedish units simultaneously.

third, the German unit burst a red flash... that doesn't make it invisible to the eye!!! you will see it flashing.

finally, you need to read more about photography. specifically you need to read about "speed photography"... to capture and freeze a speeding car in a photograph you need a burst of flash to accomplish this... otherwise you will end up with blurry or very dark images as those cameras can capture images upto 1/8000sec and this need lots and lots of light to build an image.

the only alternative is using infrared... however, the result is a medium quality images and can only capture the plate number but NOT any driver specific details.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 15, 2008
The only way that this can be settled is for someone to drive past the round blue things on emirates road at say 160kmph and report back to DF whether they saw a flash or not.

Any volunteers???
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 15, 2008
And if you test it on SZR, will you be going so fast that the Salik cameras won't catch you?

:D :D
Wednesday Jones
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 15, 2008
I did and my speed was almost 180... and those things did not flash, NOT because they shot me with invisible flash but because they are not yet operational. to my knowledge when they are 100% operational it will be all over the news papers.

Dubai police did not release any official information other than the last press release on Gulfnews last October stating that those are still under testing.

so guys don't simply believe every email you receive which is not properly referenced.

when all the cameras get active, the roads will be flashing like a Christmas tree :lol:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 16, 2008
You only need a shutter speed of 1/60th or 1/125th of a second to record any speeding object, it is the power and the duration of the flash that is significant. The normal flash guns produce a single burst of approximately 1/4000th second. Thats almost enough to freeze a bullet in mid flight, so more than enough to catch most speeders on the SZR!

Unless you are Arniegang in a hurry to get to the bank!

Its going to be like a paparazzi party down in Jebel Ali when they all become operational, but hopefully the majority of offenders will have Abu Dhabi plates and blacked out windows. Already got my shades on!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 16, 2008
okokok, is it german or swedish?
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Dec 16, 2008
sharfraz wrote:okokok, is it german or swedish?

If you mean the offenders? Hopefully Abu Dhabi-ites.

If you mean the camera systems? Does it matter? They will both be in use and they will both catch you if you speed.

The fine will not be in Euros or Swedish Krona!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 18, 2008
the official announcement.

http://archive.gulfnews.com/nation/Traffic_and_Transport/10268146.html

two things to note:

1. they clearly said it will flash... and the flash is controlled for Heavy and light vehicles...

2. they never and will never mention that those units will calculate your speed between two radars...

as I previously and clearly mentioned, Dubai police will use the new "Swedish" radar (the Blue radar attached to a pole). and I am sure everyone noticed them already on all the major highways.

I hope this info will end this thread
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 18, 2008
quatroporte wrote:the official announcement.

this what proves to all people who made the fuzz about this radar are wrong.

http://archive.gulfnews.com/nation/Traffic_and_Transport/10268146.html

two things to note:

1. they clearly said it will flash... and the flash is controlled for Heavy and light vehicles...

2. they never and will never mention that those units will calculate your speed between two radars...

as I previously and clearly mentioned, Dubai police will use the new "Swedish" radar (the Blue radar attached to a pole). and I am sure everyone noticed them already on all the major highways.

I hope this info will end this thread

Bikers!!!!!!!!?????? no matter how fast they ride??????

:?
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Re: What's up with the new speed cameras on SZR Dec 18, 2008
Captain Australia wrote:In the last few days a bunch of new speed cameras have been installed along Shaikh Zayed Rd, all the way down to the Abu Dhabi border.

Anyone know any more info on them? Is it still speed-business-as-usual, ie 140ks in the 120 zone and you're 'safe'? Also, someone at work said that they don't flash in the daytime like the older ones do. That's bad news because you won't know you've been done for a while.

What's going on? Are they all over Dubai as well?

well i found myself drinving more then 120 & till now didn t recieve any fines :D

even in jumeirah with 90/km so many times & nothing

:D
Miss_lolly
Dubai Expat Helper

Miss_lolly wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:In the last few days a bunch of new speed cameras have been installed along Shaikh Zayed Rd, all the way down to the Abu Dhabi border.

Anyone know any more info on them? Is it still speed-business-as-usual, ie 140ks in the 120 zone and you're 'safe'? Also, someone at work said that they don't flash in the daytime like the older ones do. That's bad news because you won't know you've been done for a while.

well i found myself drinving more then 120 & till now didn t recieve any fines :D

never expect me to speed... I strictly follow the rules...

5 to 10kms tolerance level....

8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

sharfraz wrote:
Miss_lolly wrote:

8)

ohhhh

i m gonna be sick if i didn t :D
Miss_lolly
Dubai Expat Helper

Miss_lolly wrote:
sharfraz wrote:
Miss_lolly wrote:

8)

ohhhh

i m gonna be sick if i didn t :D

that's a fine sickness

8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat