Insomnia - Help!

Topic locked
Insomnia - Help! Sep 25, 2008
I am not happy anymore with my insomia....it's getting worst day by day...

Anybody who knows an effective cure? I don't like to take sleeping pills because I don't want to be dependent on it.

I've tried several herbal tea, no effect. I tried drinking milk in the evening, no effect. I tried hot bath with stress-reliever, no effect.

If anybody knows an effective cure, it will be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

xx Sheryl xx

farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 25, 2008
You have a very simple problem...with an easy cure.

You....like most other young people (me)

Are young and full of energy.....you need to find a way to use that energy and get rid of it.

solution #1:
Dont eat much...works great....u start feeling dizzy...and very tiered.....almost like half sick. This solution i personally dont like.

solution #2:
Work out....gor for long walks....run...gym...swim..whatever...get rid of that energy....this solutions really works...

Sitting at home watching tv, driving around in a car, taqlking to ur friends...

no wonder u cant sleep....

Dont blind urself from the truth...just because it is so obvious.
guest999

Sep 25, 2008
Not_Sure wrote:You have a very simple problem...with an easy cure.

You....like most other young people (me)

Are young and full of energy.....you need to find a way to use that energy and get rid of it.

solution #1:
Dont eat much...works great....u start feeling dizzy...and very tiered.....almost like half sick. This solution i personally dont like.

solution #2:
Work out....gor for long walks....run...gym...swim..whatever...get rid of that energy....this solutions really works...

Sitting at home watching tv, driving around in a car, taqlking to ur friends...

no wonder u cant sleep....

Dont blind urself from the truth...just because it is so obvious.

Question: Why did you presume that I am young? Because maybe I am not!

I have a stepper at home, and doing between 2000-3000 steps a day.

I eat only once a day, and that is during lunch.

I don't have much energy left at the end of the day because I work more than 10 hours continuously.

I don't like TV. I drive around but takes stairs everyday in the office for some additional exercise.

I had a membership at Fitness First few months back and going almost there 4 times a week -- the same, insomia is there.

I have a club membership to the beach as well.

What then is obvious?

Do you think if it is too obvious, I would waste my time seeking help from other experienced insomiacs?

Excuse me!
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 25, 2008
Hello
I was facing the same problem earlier. I try so many thinks and also tablets they are helping for a time but not good to take them for long.
Then on doctor told me that my body needs to learn when it will sleep.
It was very simple the only think you must do to force yourself to sleep less .
It sounds strange I know but it works.
Sleep everyday only 4 hours and this for minimum of 3 weeks. Go always the same time in bed.
After these 3 weeks you will increase it to 5 hours. Again for 3 weeks.
But make sure you don’t sleep more than this force you to get up when the time is finished.
After I did like this I sleep now 7-8 hours with no problem.
Matthias_
Dubai Forum User

Sep 25, 2008
Matthias_ wrote:Hello
I was facing the same problem earlier. I try so many thinks and also tablets they are helping for a time but not good to take them for long.
Then on doctor told me that my body needs to learn when it will sleep.
It was very simple the only think you must do to force yourself to sleep less .
It sounds strange I know but it works.
Sleep everyday only 4 hours and this for minimum of 3 weeks. Go always the same time in bed.
After these 3 weeks you will increase it to 5 hours. Again for 3 weeks.
But make sure you don’t sleep more than this force you to get up when the time is finished.
After I did like this I sleep now 7-8 hours with no problem.

Wow that sounds logic....but difficult I would say....

I'll take the plunge and try it....I think it will be effective if I am able to follow it.

Thank you so much. Appreciate your help!
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 26, 2008
Usually when I can't sleep I'm excited about something.
i think a lot... when i try to calm myself and switch my thought process from talking inside my mind to seeing images I manage to fall asleep. It's like entering a dream...

Also you can try a breathing exercise called quad.
it goes like this:
- inspiration 3 seconds
- Pause 3 seconds
- expiration 3 seconds
- pause 3 second
and so on.

the pause is important here..
Instead of 3 seconds you can use any time interval that will allow you to do this exercise in a relaxed manner.
You can draw a quad in the air while doing this so that you don't have to count.. try it right now and you will see how calming this exercise is..

But everyone is different and what works for me may be useless for you..
if you can tell what you are doing when you can't sleep... or to be more precise what you are doing instead of sleeping - when you think you should sleep :) ...
i may think of something specially for you..
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Sep 27, 2008
Andyba wrote:Usually when I can't sleep I'm excited about something.
i think a lot... when i try to calm myself and switch my thought process from talking inside my mind to seeing images I manage to fall asleep. It's like entering a dream...

Also you can try a breathing exercise called quad.
it goes like this:
- inspiration 3 seconds
- Pause 3 seconds
- expiration 3 seconds
- pause 3 second
and so on.

the pause is important here..
Instead of 3 seconds you can use any time interval that will allow you to do this exercise in a relaxed manner.
You can draw a quad in the air while doing this so that you don't have to count.. try it right now and you will see how calming this exercise is..

But everyone is different and what works for me may be useless for you..
if you can tell what you are doing when you can't sleep... or to be more precise what you are doing instead of sleeping - when you think you should sleep :) ...
i may think of something specially for you..

Thanks Andyba,

I tried the exercise, it's relaxing. That's nice and refreshing.

I will explain a bit my situation.

I do not have timing hours in the office, so I come whenever I want and leave whenever I want. During the past few months, I had some projects with deadlines, and so what happened was that I was working sometimes until 4/5 in the morning.

I ended up repeating the same cycle for round about 5-6 months. And my waking hours suddenly become less and less.

I came to a point (last 2 months) sleeping every other day. Simply because I could not sleep. I can't seem to shut off my brain in the evening.

From last 2 weeks, I had less things to take care off and so had all the free time at my hand. However, despite the fact that I am trying hard to relax, I just could not (Actually that's how I found DF).

I tried many times to tire myself to death (even doing stepper without sleep night before!).

I'm off for 10 days and trying to retrieve my old sleeping habits.

I don't know if I would be successful.

Added help is sooo appreciated.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 27, 2008
Wow!!! are you a 3d artist or programmer? :)
I've been through this... but not for a long time... well I can't say that I slept less I was just sleeping during the day and working at nights...
And I could restore a normal sleeping schedule only by gradually moving the time I go to bed forward until I reached evening again...

btw eating once per day... don't you feel hungry during the night?
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Sep 27, 2008
Hahahhahha yeah you know when you are programming and there is something that doesn't work even in the middle of your sleep, if something pops up your brain, you need to get up, otherwise you'll lose the logic. :)

I had that before but I am not into programming now. I am developing some new business sector for the company and managing everything with regards to the project from zero and ensuring it generates millions at the end :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, yeah, it's like programming in some sense too. I have staff that works under me but I am still the brain at the end, could not let anything slip by. I am into e-commerce.

....and on top of that, since people likes to buy stuff when they get home and are online, I sometimes receives orders at 12 midnight....and it gets addictive to a point of checking my mails & orders quite so often. It's pleasurable but really tiring sleepless nights.

I don't know.

.....and I don't feel hungry during the night, no. I eat only once, but during weekends, if I am not sleeping, I eat often (more than 4 times including snacks in between).

Wallaw I have a very bad lifestyle.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Health and Medicine in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Health and Medicine in Dubai