Living In Dubai Vs Sharjah

Topic locked
Living in Dubai vs Sharjah Aug 31, 2008
Hello everybody,

I might move to Dubai soon with my wife, and we're wondering living in Sharjah then in Dubai as housing will be too less cheaper :!: Would you share with us you point of view and experiences? living in Sharjah and working in Dubai! Especially as my wife will not work the first year.

Thank you in advance

chitaurus
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 31, 2008
Hi Chitaurus,

if you are free to coordinate your office / working timings in Dubai "away" from the headbanging SHJ - DXB rush hour (06.30am till 10am) - and back as well (04.30pm till 08pm), you can go for it.

If not please take my advice:

Care for a good DVD Carset which also works when the vehicle is running
(dangerous)

or

Care always for enough Valium and water in your car
(drugs are also dangerous)

or

Move your center of life in a proper caravan with all required facilities for 4-5 hours drive per day
(impossible)

Means as a result:
You should let it be to live in Sharjah if affordable when you haver to work day byu day in Dubai.
It is not a joke - Cardiac Doctors in Dubai hospitals are talking about the "Sharjah-Dubai Highway Syndrome" if a new heart attack is coming in the ER "fresh from the street".
I really don't want to know how many daily accidents between SHJ and DXB are in reality suicide trials.

The money you can save in Sharjah is it not worth to shorten your life candle by years.

Good luck

M
matrjoschka
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Living in Dubai vs Sharjah Aug 31, 2008
chitaurus wrote:living in Sharjah and working in Dubai!

Expect to spend 4 hours a day in your car - 2 each way. Plus the occasional extra hour or 2 when there's a crash holding up traffic even more. There's a good reason Sharjah is cheaper for accommodation.

If I wasn't going to work for a year, I'd far rather live in Dubai. More to do, less hassle, more tolerant.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 05, 2008
I think it depends on where you work if you want to select a place to live in. If you work in somewhere in Dubai that is not far away from Sharjah, then you can stay in Sharjah. Otherwise, if you want to live in Sharjah, you must prepare to get up very early and come home late at night.

PS: Some of the roads are under construction in Sharjah and Dubai now.
Bonde
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 16, 2008
It might be too late to reply but I made this mistake

I used to live in Sharjah and it ended up for me loosing at least 4 hours a day in driving. and I lost all my non work related activities
A couple of visits to hospital and finally i managed to get out of it.

I remember one day (i think it was during the last winter), i spent 7 hours going back home (exact distance is 50 KMs)
So unless you have to, DO NOT
oraproto
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 20, 2008
Can I just ask whether its any easier to commute from Ajman to Dubai or is it just as bad (or worse) ??
Paradox
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Might be better Oct 20, 2008
Actually in the past you had to drive through Sharjah to commute from Ajman to Dubai, or at least you will drive through Emirates Road which is a major road passing at the borders of Sharjah City.

Recently a new road was opened (Dubai Crossing) or E611. It is very nice and it can take you from Ajman to Dubai without passing through Sharjah.

Although this road is around 5 to 10 Kms from Sharjah Airport, but it is being used by Sharjah residents as a good alternative.

Most of the time it is a free flow to Dubai, unless there is a major accident or road blocking due to construction which is not 100% complete in some areas
oraproto
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Guide and photosForum Rules

Return to Dubai Guide and photos