Age Old Question :) About The DL

Topic locked
Age old question :) about the DL Jun 24, 2008
Hey guys,
I just moved here from the US, and I have had a valid US driver's license since 2002 now. (6 years). However the key is I am not a US passport holder.
I also have my visa through Sharjah, and I need to get my local UAE driver's license. Do they do over the counter for a US license holder in Sharjah? If not, do I have to take classes?

I just transfered from my Visit to my Employment Visa, and I had been driving a rental on my US International Drivers license (I have both a state US license and a US International Drivers License )

Any input would be great, cause I hear the classes and driver's license exam takes months to complete.

Thanks for the input :)

LunarEclipse
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 24, 2008
As I understand you cannot convert to a full UAE license unless your DL matches your passport and is in the approved list of countries.

Also, since you have already obtained your employment visa, technically you are not allow to drive using your international license, ie you are driving illegally now...

Dubai is trying to reduce the issuance of DLs at the moment so don't expect to pass your driving tests anytime soon.
shaq
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 24, 2008
Ahh, i am not driving right now, I gave the rental back prior to gettin' my employment visa.

Is sharjah also trying to reduce the number of driver's licenses as well? This is not good because I am a business manager and I need to visit clients alot. Any other ideas anyone?
LunarEclipse
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 26, 2008
okay, i went to the Drivers license dept and found this out:
If your DL is valid from a country that is listed on their website, but your passport happens to be from a country that is NOT part of the list (mine happens to be from France) you will not get a license conversion.

yeah, i guess even if you drove for 20+ years, as long as your passport ain't valid from the "list" (of course, cause its obivious that your passport dictates your driving abilities)(pun intended) you are not gettin a conversion...

why? don't ask me. logic does not apply here.
LunarEclipse
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Not all US Drivers License are Changeable! Jul 23, 2008
I recently got my Drivers License in Dubai , am a US Citizen with a US Drivers License from New Jersey.

1.Get the Eye test done at any optical shop in Dubai ( 25 DHS , take passport and one photo , will save time at the agency)

2.Go to the typist / typing area , with your DL / Passport , Photograph , Residence Visa page copy , they will fill it up in Arabic and charge 50 DHS

3.Go to the counter , take a token , wait , and they shud swap it

In my case the Guy told me they CANNOT change New Jersey Drivers license as they dont accept them which is strange , as on RTA site it states US Passport + US Drivers License ( no restriction on state mentioned) = Dubai License ,

I was fortunate enought to have a UK license as well from my London days , which they used to give me a Dubai License ....

waiting on my wife residence visa and she ONLY Has NJ License , wondering how to tackle this .......
moizbaig
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 24, 2008
I think you are very fortunate to get your Dubai DL with your UK license as I was under the impression that the origin of the license must match the passport. However it would appear that as long as both the passport and license are from a country on their approved list, then they would issue the Dubai DL.

As for your wife, try applying for a UK license using your NJ license, then convert to a Dubai license as you did. I heard that it is relatively easy to obtain a UK license from an overseas license, you can do it via mail and all you need is an address in the UK for them to mail the license once issued.
shaq
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 27, 2008
LunarEclipse wrote:but your passport happens to be from a country that is NOT part of the list (mine happens to be from France) you will not get a license conversion.

France is on the list of countries that can exchange licenses? But Sharjah is a funny place, and can be more random than Dubai.

What shaq said is right, licence and passport supposed to be from the same country. If they're not, it might depend on the mood of the person behind the counter whether or not you succeed.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum