Shotgun Shooting In Dubai

Topic locked
Shotgun shooting in Dubai Dec 26, 2005
Hi,

I'm moving out to Dubai in March 06. I can see there is a good shooting range at Jebel Ali - but my question is about bringing over my own shotgun. I shoot game and also clays (more clays than game of late).

I shoot over here in the UK and have my own gun (and of course a licence). I have found one reference on the web that says that expats aren't allowed to own firearms in the UAE.

So a few questions - does anyone else shoot here? Can I bring over my gun - and if so who do I contact?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 27, 2005
Oh bravo Mr gunhappy. Guns aren't cool!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 27, 2005
Jebel Ali Shooting Club 8836555, www.jebelali-international.com and Ras Al Khaimah Shooting Club, 07 2363622, and Hatta Fort Hotel 8523211, www.jebelali-international.com
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 27, 2005
Thanks GAB - I'll give them a call.

Chocoholic - it's just a hobby and you may be surprised to find that the sport is not made up of Rambo wannabees - but mostly of people who find it more enjoyable than golf (I certainly do!).

That said, it looks like I may be playing more golf than shooting next year... although I have always wanted to kite surf... I hope these activities meet with your approval. :P

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 27, 2005
If you are going to check out the shooting range at Jebel Ali the beach is just opposite where alot of young people seem to kite surf-we're the old people withkids swimming and building sand castles!! :( Kite surfing is excellent to watch but looks pretty hair raising!!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 27, 2005
I'm an old person with kids too! We'll see if I can eventually cut it with the young surfers!! :)

We're looking forward to the beaches - especially today after we have seen the first snow of the year here in the UK.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

trigger happy Dec 28, 2005
as far as i know expats are not allowed to hold weapons or licenses for any weapons while in the uae. this does not apply to uae nationals.

the range at j/a hires out the weapons and instructors incase you should not know one end of the shotgun from the other. at one point they also offered offered target shooting .22 and 9mm.

ammunition is expensive! if memory serves me correctly a single 9mm round will set you back about a dollar!

arms and ammunitions (together with alcohol) are one of the most heavily taxed of imports into the uae - the normal 5% does not apply.

again, i stand under correction, but i think the uae won a gold in the last olympics for target shooting
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 28, 2005
DBX soul - yes, the UAE won gold in one of the shooting disciplines (double trap I think) at the olympics, and a few months ago the world cup shooting competition took place at Jebel Ali.

The olympics gold medalist was a member of the ruling family - he was also a squash champion a few years back.

It does look like the cost of shooting is more expensive than here, which is a shame.

Thanks for the information though.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum