I Blocked FACEBOOK!!!!

Topic locked

Do you agree blocking facebook at your work PLACE?

Yes, I do
55%
No, I don't
45%

Total votes : 11

I blocked FACEBOOK!!!! Mar 26, 2008
hhhhaaaa.... don't worry, I did not block it from UAE...

I just blocked it from our office 8)

yesterday, during our department head meeting... the management agreed to block Youtube.com and Facebook.com from all associates.

as I am the head of IT in the company... I did not waste any minute... I soon applied this and said good bye to Facebook :twisted:

but since then, everyone is giving me this ugly look as if I am the one who made this decision :!:

I just can't get it... why don't they use it at home instead of wasting time at the office :?: they simply overused it to a point the managers decided to block it

quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Re: I blocked FACEBOOK!!!! Mar 26, 2008
quatroporte wrote:hhhhaaaa.... don't worry, I did not block it from UAE...

I just blocked it from our office 8)

yesterday, during our department head meeting... the management agreed to block Youtube.com and Facebook.com from all associates.

as I am the head of IT in the company... I did not waste any minute... I soon applied this and said good bye to Facebook :twisted:

but since then, everyone is giving me this ugly look as if I am the one who made this decision :!:

I just can't get it... why don't they use it at home instead of wasting time at the office :?: they simply overused it to a point the managers decided to block it

Wait, didn't you just post this at work 3:10 pm... What's the word for that?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2008
Simple answer, why waste time on the net at home when you can do it at work. Look at what we're all doing here now! duh!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: I blocked FACEBOOK!!!! Mar 26, 2008
Concord wrote:
Wait, didn't you just post this at work 3:10 pm... What's the word for that?

I did not say.. you are not allowed to surf the web... ohh and the rule is applied on me too... dont worry..

I believe in one thing... and this is applied to my staff... if work is done, then you are free to do what you want... even leave early...

but over wasting time on certain things... means we need to take action :twisted:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
whats the kind of business your company is in ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Simple answer, why waste time on the net at home when you can do it at work. Look at what we're all doing here now! duh!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Aye...aye
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 26, 2008
MaaaD wrote:whats the kind of business your company is in ?

Hotel industry... I work for a 5 star hotel chain :)
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
If thats the case, then ban msn, even using the net. Why go half way through!! Ur here for work aint it!! If I was in your place either do that or do nothing at all. Then probably we will be able to avoid the aamount of email forwards sitting in an office mailbox.
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2008
I have voted yes, and for sure no one will go ballistic on the management to revoke the blocking of facebook, unless you can prove them wrong. Besides, what benefit a facebook site does for the company? Friendster should be blocked as well in your office.

All kinds of forums are blocked in the company I am working with including facebook, friendster and all unnecessary dating sites.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2008
I have three voted with me :occasion5:

I thought my vote will be the only vote :P

to be honest... I can go on blocking websites from our staff for ever... but this is never the solution...

I told the management... this is never the right solution... infact you will get the staff to be stubborn and any guy who know a bit of knowledge can bypass the proxy...

I always blame the direct managers... they are the one who should show control... unfortunately (for some reason) they can't face their employees and they came to me complaining about facebook being used very often by their staff...

I have managers requested me to block the whole Internet from their department as well... (this is very lame) treating associates like they are in kinder garden.

I always fight back and reject such request... but a decision coming from top senior management commanding me to do so... then this is a different story...

however... I am so happy blocking particularly facebook... (dont ask me why) I HATE IT... and I am sure there are many who agree with me.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
Quattro...lets face facts. Hippocracy is rampant in this part of the world. You blocked Facebook, which is a good move I think. But like you said, there are workarounds if you know what you are doing. This is very much a case of (you are to blame here too) of "do as I say, not as I do".

Some of us piss away half our days (not me of course) on this site and others. Honestly speaking, half the internet is blocked at my office, but I have the access for the proxy. Honestly, I use it once a month, but never frequent Facebook, etc.

I have used (blocked) sites that are considered "evil", such as Ebay, msn messenger and others to the company's benefit. Ebay has saved us a mint in purchases, msn in discount communications, and other sites like Dubizzle have brought me some great job applicants. Just today on this site I got a contact for a person in an industry I am not familiar with. Sites like DF have their petty time-wasting qualities, but I believe they can be beneficial as well.

Not for my staff, just me. They should be working (I'll block Yahoo and Hotmail tomorrow, you inspired me).
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
It's always leading by example. Dubaidog, did you vote? I can still see 3 in YES, and 5 in NO.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2008
dubaidog wrote:Not for my staff, just me. They should be working (I'll block Yahoo and Hotmail tomorrow, you inspired me).

Cheeers mate :occasion5:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
I'll vote now.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
Let me qualify that vote. I say block it, but then again, it was a good way to keep in touch with international friends when I was overseas. I think my people would just abuse it if they used it (it is not blocked at my work).

My workplace is very liberal, though. I say come in late, no prob, but let me know, but don't slam the laptop down at 5pm sharp. Take a personal day, but make it up. I believe what comes around goes around, just don't mess with me.

My drivers took advantage of taking the vehicles home every night, then used them to shuttle people all over the Emirates. I pulled up next to a van full of people I did not know with company's logo on it last Friday. GREAT!

Guess what, that little device I installed today is called a GPS tracking unit! How do you like that! The guys doing their jobs have nothing to worry about, but the ones that take advantage will be fried. Same goes for internet abuse.

Can't wait to see you all tomorrow when I am on company time in the corner office.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat