Awkward Questions.....

Topic locked
Awkward questions..... Mar 24, 2008
I have two questions and I hope someone can help me.

Thank you very much :triplets:

I had a visitor and some questions I couldn`t answer. That was really awkward.

Firstly do exist still wild camels in Dubai, or in other Emirates?
Secondly not all local clothes are the same. Some are brown, some are white, some are grey and so on. Also the buttons are different and the headdress is also confusing me.
Do the clothes have meanings or is it just what you prefer to wear.

Sorry for these stupid questions.

:notworthy:

Tropic23
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 24, 2008
Wild Camels... you mean camels left on the loose!?

if this is your question! I had asked the same questions to some locals and they some how assured me that all the camels in the UAE deserts have an owner... they simply let them loose in most of the areas for them to feed.

Personally... I some how doubt this... but they sound so sure and assured that there are no wild camels...

it make some sense as those camels are very expensive (compare to all other domestic animals in the Gulf) and everyone go out hunting them... either for selling them or starting a farm.

regarding the color of the locals dress... They are a matter of taste and preference... usually darker colors in Winter and lighter in the hot days...

but an answer from a real local is more preferred.

however, your questions are not stupid and very interesting :idea:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 24, 2008
Hi,
for camels, yes every one have an owner, but do you know that camels don't lost!!! yes, they know how to go back to home, they have the abbility to remember the path they used to use it again home or even use another one they used before, and they are in desert for food and its the natural life of it, also the owners own the same land his camels use on feeding and some big fights could happened if some camels feed from somone else land (as i heared).
for cloths, i think there is some places (emirates) prefere dark colors like RAK and Ajman when dubai and sharjah prefere white more, also the headdress style is different from place to another when some pplz like to use different styles for change, as we all do somehow
cheers
yasrkasem
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 25, 2008
Im sure my answer wud help you cuz I am a national, regarding the camels yasrkasem is totally right in what he said, they arent cheap that anyone wud leave them lose in the desert, some camels cost millions and the rich people here use those camels to take part in the camel races, through which if they win they get prizes worth millions too... So if you are talking about camels then you are talking about millions.
Regarding the dresses and various colours, its true that people wear dark colours during winter and light colours during summer, but this is an old story, now the latest fashion is that people wear any colours during any season, be it summer or winter because you get the colours in pure cotton and different types and varieties which can be worn in summer, thats why many people wear colourful clothes, but theres a point, mostly at workplaces people prefer wearing the plain white because its an official place but in the evening if they go out colours wud be the first choice for all locals. For your kind info to stitch a local dress it wud cost you minimum of 200 Dhs and cud fetch upto 500 depending on the cloth. Talking about the head dresses, at official places people wud wear a black round thing on their head called 'Agaal', this is the national dress of UAE but mostly if you notice youngsters and unmarried people dont really wear this Agaal much, its meant to be for married and older people because it makes you look older.
Pleasure answering this and good to knw somebody has taken interest in knwing what these things mean to us, Cheers !
SSense
Dubai Forum User

Mar 25, 2008
How come the ladies "abaya" is only black in colour? The ladies should also get to choose a few colours, no?
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 25, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:How come the ladies "abaya" is only black in colour? The ladies should also get to choose a few colours, no?

So you can't see the lines and shadows of the figure.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 25, 2008
^ian^ wrote:
BabyDoll wrote:How come the ladies "abaya" is only black in colour? The ladies should also get to choose a few colours, no?

Well, then that doesnt justify the split in front of the abaya. That certainly doesnt cover anything! I always thought it was kinda sexy especially when you can see what they wear inside but wouldnt that consider provocative?
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 25, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Well, then that doesnt justify the split in front of the abaya. That certainly doesnt cover anything! I always thought it was kinda sexy especially when you can see what they wear inside but wouldnt that consider provocative?

Modernisation. Pretty sure it used to be nothing but a potato sack.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 25, 2008
^ian^ wrote:Modernisation. Pretty sure it used to be nothing but a potato sack.

Potato sack!!!! LOOOL :lol:

it is indeed meant to cover lines and shadows of the figure! however, IAN is right... modernisation have made it just another stylish item to be used to enhance the ladies look...

but there are many in this country who still stick to the actual preserved look.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 25, 2008
Regarding the abaya unmarried women get in fashion, the colour is meant to be black but the design changes, some wear the ones which are tight on the delicate parts of the body and even if you notice there are some colours designed on abayas, these differ from one to another, but the latest fashion nowadays is the loose one which makes them look like a bat, but married ladies don really get into this fashion, they just stay as simple as they can.
SSense
Dubai Forum User

Mar 25, 2008
SSense...whats with the small broom/sweep kinda thingy in front of the dress.? hmmm its like a whip thingy..not everyone's dress has it. I guess its some kinda identification of a particular sect..

Is is allowed to import camels to UAE? if each camel is worth millions..it sure sounds a good business venture.

:)
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 25, 2008
LoLz the broom thing is some kind of fashion too, not many people wear that...
Talking about importing camels, yes you can do that, people from other GCC countries import their camels too when the season of the race goes on, the season of the camel race is mostly Feb to mid-April
Last week His Highness Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum had won the race too, competing with other sheikhs from different emirates.
SSense
Dubai Forum User

Mar 25, 2008
SSense wrote:LoLz the broom thing is some kind of fashion too, not many people wear that...
Talking about importing camels, yes you can do that, people from other GCC countries import their camels too when the season of the race goes on, the season of the camel race is mostly Feb to mid-April
Last week His Highness Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum had won the race too, competing with other sheikhs from different emirates.

Oh i thought it had some meaning to it.. hmm

In India , we get a camel calf from 6000 INR n above
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 25, 2008
Over here the camels can go upto millions bro, some wud even cost you 3 million Dhs
SSense
Dubai Forum User

Mar 25, 2008
SSense wrote:Over here the camels can go upto millions bro, some wud even cost you 3 million Dhs

shhh! tsk tsk.. we can make a deal. U be the local sponsor.. I'll import camels.. u can actually sell 'em for millions.. 49:51 profit ration.. how' abt it :D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 25, 2008
LoLz !!! DEAL !
But the locals here know the quality of the good camels so I don think they wud buy a 6000IRP camel for millions :P
Good one bro
SSense
Dubai Forum User

Mar 25, 2008
i did come across wild camels on my way to oman. either they were wild or they were lost cos they were walking on the road in the middle of now where :S and no fence nothing.

I have seen a fox too in the desert and a wild gerbil type mouse.

camels are nothing eagles and falcon are more expensive i think and i also know there are strict restrictions on getting them into UAE.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 25, 2008
rudeboy wrote:i did come across wild camels on my way to oman. either they were wild or they were lost cos they were walking on the road in the middle of now where :S and no fence nothing.

Most probably those camels are not lost, they're just grazing and if you look or wait at the back of the herd there's a sheperd on a camel or a 4x4 :D

In Saudi Arabia, there's even a competition/pageant for the most beautiful camel of them all and the winner takes millions. They are bred like horses with the winning breed well protected. 8)
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 25, 2008
reviewer wrote:
rudeboy wrote:i did come across wild camels on my way to oman. either they were wild or they were lost cos they were walking on the road in the middle of now where :S and no fence nothing.

Most probably those camels are not lost, they're just grazing and if you look or wait at the back of the herd there's a sheperd on a camel or a 4x4 :D

In Saudi Arabia, there's even a competition/pageant for the most beautiful camel of them all and the winner takes millions. They are bred like horses with the winning breed well protected. 8)

hmmm the only 4 x 4 was me and i definetly wasnt the sheperd :D

I luv horses, horses are in a different class compared to camels. camels are bloody ugly, they spit, got long legs and long necks and they bloody SLOW so am suprised how you can have a camel race :S. my nan on her automatic wheelchair could beat a camel any day.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 25, 2008
oh yeah the competition for the most beautiful camel takes place here too, but only in Ajman this year it took place for the first time, never heard of it before in UAE. They say the camels look like brides when they are dressed, i wonder if they even get them married
SSense
Dubai Forum User

Mar 25, 2008
I love a good camel toe....
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 25, 2008
SO inappropriate, craigindubai
Anteater
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 25, 2008
With the headress you can also tell where some people come from depending what it look like. The Saudi's have a different one compared to Emiratis for example.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 25, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:With the headress you can also tell where some people come from depending what it look like. The Saudi's have a different one compared to Emiratis for example.

What about the Lebanese pretending to be local? Or the Iranians also pretending to be local?
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 25, 2008
Dr.D wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:With the headress you can also tell where some people come from depending what it look like. The Saudi's have a different one compared to Emiratis for example.

What about the Lebanese pretending to be local? Or the Iranians also pretending to be local?

LOOOOL I met many of those ppl... :lol:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 25, 2008
Dr.D wrote:

Add Indians n Pakistanis to the list.. I've heard a very good forum friend accusing them off stealing their men. :)
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 25, 2008
Dr.D wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:
With the headress you can also tell where some people come from depending what it look like. The Saudi's have a different one compared to Emiratis for example.

Add Indians n Pakistanis to the list.. I've heard a very good forum friend accusing them off stealing their men.

Locals can identify these people who pretend to be locals by many ways, for instance we can know them from the quality of the dress they wear which is cheap, the way they wear the headress and most important the accent, nobody can escape from the accent cuz its not easy to posses the local accent.
SSense
Dubai Forum User

Mar 25, 2008
SSense wrote:Dr.D wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Add Indians n Pakistanis to the list.. I've heard a very good forum friend accusing them off stealing their men.

Locals can identify these people who pretend to be locals by many ways, for instance we can know them from the quality of the dress they wear which is cheap, the way they wear the headress and most important the accent, nobody can escape from the accent cuz its not easy to posses the local accent.

hmmm yeh but u get baloochis who are pakistanis and emaratis and what about the bengalis in Ajman who have become locals here. and what about the irani baloochis who dont wear the head dress at all only the kandoora and still are emaratis.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 25, 2008
Well rudeboy they are all emiratis, who have just become emiratis now or there are balochis who have become emiratis too... They all can be differed from the pure locals here, jus having the passport and legal papers you are a UAE National, but not an emirati my friend.
Emiratis are the people whose great grandfathers were born here in UAE, not in Pakistan, Iran or Bangladesh... Even the balochis who mostly look like locals can be differentiated from their accent
SSense
Dubai Forum User

Mar 26, 2008
Sorry for my late reaction, but I had trouble with my computer,

Thank you very, very much for the help.

I think you should know as much as possible about the country where you live.

Thank you!!

:)
Tropic23
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat