Best Place To Buy A Car (and What To Expect)

Topic locked
Best Place to Buy a Car (and what to expect) Mar 09, 2008
Can anyone recommend a place to get a good deal on a new or used car. Will I need to have my UAE license before I can buy? What sort of paperwork should I expect? Thanks

maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 09, 2008
mate

you have to have a UAE licence before you can own or drive a private car. The paperwork is pretty straight forward.

If you want something cheap try the car sales city out (al aweer) by the vegatable market
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 09, 2008
But be careful and take someone that knows about cars, there are some very good dealers, but there are also some real cowboys who need to be avoided.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Best Place to Buy a Car (and what to expect) Mar 10, 2008
maximusprime wrote:Can anyone recommend a place to get a good deal on a new or used car. Will I need to have my UAE license before I can buy? What sort of paperwork should I expect? Thanks

What is your budget?

My opinion, purchase new, get the full warranty, drive for 3 years and sell. At least that way you are not purchasing someone else's problem.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 10, 2008
Thanks everyone,
I want to spend less than AED 70k. I would buy new but I just hate the thought of losing so much money as I drive it off the lot. I definitely understand about the risk though, especially considering the way people drive out here. I went to the auto market this weekend and most of it was closed, I should probably go during the week. I heard you have to take a class now to get your license, is this true?
Thanks
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 10, 2008
You were from the states, right? you can convert your driving license without the test I guess.

Read This
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 10, 2008
get ready to wait and wait and wait. The process to buy a car is nothing compared to how it is in the states. It took me 10 days from start to finish with a very reputable used car dealer.

They handled all the paperwork etc and there was not much. However, like everything in Dubai, the whole process just moved very slow!

Good Luck
billystyle
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 13, 2008
billystyle wrote:get ready to wait and wait and wait. The process to buy a car is nothing compared to how it is in the states. It took me 10 days from start to finish with a very reputable used car dealer.

They handled all the paperwork etc and there was not much. However, like everything in Dubai, the whole process just moved very slow!

Good Luck

Not sure why they took that long. If you handled it yourself, you could've done it in one day, or two days if you're lazy.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 13, 2008
Hi guys,
I got my used car from Aweer market, it's nice and easy to choose what u like and also good prices comparing with new cars.
the paper work toke 2 days only and i got the car even before they start the process :) (used commercial plates)
the issue is as plz said before u have to be lucky and know well about cars, and don't hesitate to take the car to the agent work shop to test it there, it will cost u a little bit but it will be good to know what u will be involve with.
Good Luck
Cheers
yasrkasem
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 14, 2008
I got a good deal from Al Futtaim Automall on SZR. 100% satisfied, easy financing. From the time I picked the car to leaving with it was 1 day. Top marks to Wayne Basson, the sales guy. He did a great job.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Mar 15, 2008
Yeah I've bought a couple of cars from Alo Futtaim's automall, they're very good.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 16, 2008
maximusprime wrote:Thanks everyone,
I want to spend less than AED 70k. I would buy new but I just hate the thought of losing so much money as I drive it off the lot. I definitely understand about the risk though, especially considering the way people drive out here. I went to the auto market this weekend and most of it was closed, I should probably go during the week. I heard you have to take a class now to get your license, is this true?
Thanks

FWIW, I have heard nothing but good things about the new Honda Accord.

As for the Auto Market, if you're going on Friday, go after 4.30 pm. Otherwise, it's open on Saturday, which for some of us in the private sector is a non-working day
ghoonk
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 17, 2008
You mean the Al Awir car market? It's a good place to look around but be careful buying anything there. This might help you ... buying a car in Dubai.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum