The Biggest Robber In The World

Topic locked
The biggest robber in the world Feb 26, 2008
I just found this link showing biggest robbery in the world

biggest robbery in the world

rajajang
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 01, 2008
lol, what about the robbery of the Indians and Aboriginals in the US of A and Australia? Or Tibet for that matter...
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 01, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:lol, what about the robbery of the Indians and Aboriginals in the US of A and Australia? Or Tibet for that matter...

They should just think themselves lucky that the Dutch never got a foothold in either of these places.

But it is interesting that you should bring this up.
To complete their monopoly of the Indonesian spice market, the Dutch swapped the USA (just Manhattan at the time) for a small island in Indionesia called Run, which incidently is also currently suffering from religious based violence.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 01, 2008
True, true. certain pages of Dutch history should be written in black. What is considered the golden age, actually was the age of imperialism and slave trade. At school we learn about the ´hero´s´ discovering the world. Not one word is spend on the slave trade. Only after some self study you figure out what was really going one. According to me a scandal. Anyways I thought this was about people or nations still occuying land that was acquired with violence. Holland retreated from all the colonies (except the Antilles).
Btw, I always thought Manhattan was exchanged for Surinam. The trade for Run is completely new to me, do you have some references?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 02, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:True, true. certain pages of Dutch history should be written in black. What is considered the golden age, actually was the age of imperialism and slave trade. At school we learn about the ´hero´s´ discovering the world. Not one word is spend on the slave trade. Only after some self study you figure out what was really going one. According to me a scandal. Anyways I thought this was about people or nations still occuying land that was acquired with violence. Holland retreated from all the colonies (except the Antilles).
Btw, I always thought Manhattan was exchanged for Surinam. The trade for Run is completely new to me, do you have some references?

history is purely subjective FD - everyone twists history the way they like to see it.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 02, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:Btw, I always thought Manhattan was exchanged for Surinam. The trade for Run is completely new to me, do you have some references?

Yes Surinam was also involved in the negotiations.
The Dutch took the island of Run from the English.
The English took Manhattan from the Dutch.
The Dutch took full control of Surinam.
The English wanted Surinam in exchange for Manhattan.
But the Dutch wanted to keep Surinam and offered to let the English keep Manhattan if they can keep Run.
New Amsterdam became New York and the rest is history.

A book called "nathaniel's nutmeg" tells the story of the island of Run from the English perspective.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 02, 2008
benwj wrote:A book called "nathaniel's nutmeg" tells the story of the island of Run from the English perspective.

Thanks benwj, always happy to learn new things. :)
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums