TV From Du - Anyone Else Have This? Is There Terrestrial TV?

Topic locked
TV from du - anyone else have this? Is there terrestrial TV? Dec 20, 2007
Du were my only choice of television apparently as I live in the Greens. I don’t watch much television anyway but I’m not watching any now as although there’s a good selection of channels the Du experience is so user unfriendly. I can’t work out how to connect the box to my Media PC or my DVD recorder and when I rang du I got the impression they had blocked your ability to do this as they plan to offer a recording box at some point in the future. My wife wants me to get an all in one control but I also get the impression Du have blocked this. It was hard to tell as the assistant’s English was so bad. I also have no idea of what is on and when as the built in TV guide doesn’t really work
So
Does anyone know if there’s any way to record from du?
Can you use an all in one remote?
Where do I find out what is on television in the UAE?
If I bought a terrestrial ariel could I pick up normal TV stations and if so what channels?
Is there anything worth watching on TV anyway?

BigO
Dubai Forums Member

Re: TV from du - anyone else have this? Is there terrestrial Dec 20, 2007
BigO wrote:Du were my only choice of television apparently as I live in the Greens. I don’t watch much television anyway but I’m not watching any now as although there’s a good selection of channels the Du experience is so user unfriendly. I can’t work out how to connect the box to my Media PC or my DVD recorder and when I rang du I got the impression they had blocked your ability to do this as they plan to offer a recording box at some point in the future. My wife wants me to get an all in one control but I also get the impression Du have blocked this. It was hard to tell as the assistant’s English was so bad. I also have no idea of what is on and when as the built in TV guide doesn’t really work
So
Does anyone know if there’s any way to record from du?
no

dont know

Internet

If I bought a terrestrial ariel could I pick up normal TV stations and if so what channels?
no

no

hope it helps mate!
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 22, 2007
Hi,

1) yes, you can use an all-in-one controller. Don't ask me how, I have no idea, but we have one and it works perfectly.

2) Internet is a good idea, or if you use showtime, you can pick up a copy of the programmes from their kiosk dotted around the city.

3) Anything worth watching on TV? That's subjective. I prefer not to watch TV as there is many other things that catches my attention more. But when I do watch, its not bad.

Sorry, but don't know the answer to other two questions. Hope this helps :)
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: TV from du - anyone else have this? Is there terrestrial Dec 22, 2007
BigO wrote:Does anyone know if there’s any way to record from du?

To a computer? Use a TV capture card.

Get one that supports Motorola/Kreatel codes and it should work.

Well... there's the odd showtime guide that may be found around the traps but the bottom line is... it's not easy. Sport is a little easier, and showtimes website somewhat helpful... but for the rest of the Du service? forget it.

The online guide is totally useless. Even the information bar is wrong most of the time.

I believe you can get Dubai TV terrestially.

I use the internet for TV watching. Some choice sites out there.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum