Question On Trash Disposal

Topic locked
Question on trash disposal Nov 09, 2007
Why do my neighbors simply pile their garbage bags next to the shute instead of actually dropping them in?

There's always a pile of bin bags to wade through-- is this a "dubai" thing?

Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Question on trash disposal Nov 09, 2007
Sydneysider wrote:Why do my neighbors simply pile their garbage bags next to the shute instead of actually dropping them in?

There's always a pile of bin bags to wade through-- is this a "dubai" thing?

No, No, It's a Lazy thing!

And you have seen this "classy" people, once they come to Dubai, god forbide they'll go near a garbage chute!

Your situation pales in comparison with what happened in a building I used to live at the Marina. My neighbors used to simply leave their garbage bag just outside their door every evening after dinner. As the floors were cleaned everyday they just let the cleaners take the garbage away the next morning. Sometimes it stunk - god knows what these people were eating. It used to drive me nuts and I put a note under their door with directions to the chute (I drew a nice little map and wrote that the chute was not more than 15 steps away)! Did it work? I remember it stoping for a while (they must have been on vacation) then I think they went back to their old way and then I moved (not for that reason...).

By the way, this was a brand new, very nice highrise building in the marina, you would expect better but.... money can't buy...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Question on trash disposal Nov 09, 2007
double post :oops:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 09, 2007
Well, I leave mine outside my door because the shutes don't work.

But, laziness is not the *only* issue. Sometimes if you have a lot of glass bottles it is not wise *at all* to send these down the shute, as the glass shreds the bag it's in, and then the rest of the bags on impact. Not to mention it creates a hazard.

So it's not just laziness, but of course lazy people could see glass bottle people leave their bags out and think 'why not?' and emulate them through not knowing the real reasons.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 09, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Well, I leave mine outside my door because the shutes don't work.

But, laziness is not the *only* issue. Sometimes if you have a lot of glass bottles it is not wise *at all* to send these down the shute, as the glass shreds the bag it's in, and then the rest of the bags on impact. Not to mention it creates a hazard.

So it's not just laziness, but of course lazy people could see glass bottle people leave their bags out and think 'why not?' and emulate them through not knowing the real reasons.

Yeah but non-lazy (I guess there is a word for them) take glass containers down to the recycle center. At the building I used to live they sent a notice asking people to please place glass bottles in clear bags and leave them inside the chute area (for the very reasons you stated) as well as big cartons as these will clog the chute.

In addition, the lazy people never separate real garbage from recycables they just put everything in one bag - let others do the sorting (its not that they don't care about the enviroment...).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 09, 2007
Concord wrote:

Yeah but non-lazy (I guess there is a word for them) take glass containers down to the recycle center. At the building I used to live they sent a notice asking people to please place glass bottles in clear bags and leave them inside the chute area (for the very reasons you stated) as well as big cartons as these will clog the chute.

In addition, the lazy people never separate real garbage from recycables they just put everything in one bag - let others do the sorting (its not that they don't care about the enviroment...).

Possibly because there is no such thing as a 'real' recycle program in Dubai.

No matter how much sorting, bagging and tagging you do, it all ends up being burnt and/or buried.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 09, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:

Possibly because there is no such thing as a 'real' recycle program in Dubai.

No matter how much sorting, bagging and tagging you do, it all ends up being burnt and/or buried.

Actually there are a couple of companies recycling cardboard and paper and glass which they purchase from the various stores. The goverment is pushing to set up recycling plants and programs that will truly recycle. This now has more to do with Dubai's push for green building etc. True many places sort items only for the workers to place it in the same heap and for it to be trucked in one truck to the same landfill, etc.

Oh, and they also recycle toilet water by putting a clarifier (the stuff you buy for fish tanks) and selling it as spring water to the nudnicks that love to walk around with a bottle of water in hand!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 09, 2007
I don't even have a chute.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 09, 2007
gtmash wrote:I don't even have a chute.

Oh shute! You have problems.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 09, 2007
Concord wrote:
gtmash wrote:I don't even have a chute.

Oh shute! You have problems.

Yeah, I have to walk down to the big trash thingy on wheels. And my building doesn't have a lift.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 14, 2007
My unit is right next to the chute and the noise it makes EVERY friggin time someone throws their rubbish down is unbearable. Not to mention scary when it was dead quiet in the middle of the night. I am on the fourth floor so you can imagine the noise I hear all the time. Those who doesnt sleep in the wee hours (ie especially past midnight) ought to refrain themselves from throwing garbage in the chute in the middle of the night!

So, now everytime I throw my garbage, I pray the guy below me doesnt swear !! and I avoid throwing rubbish beyond midnight !!
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 15, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Possibly because there is no such thing as a 'real' recycle program in Dubai.

They do have a recycling centre at the Spinneys besides the Emirates International School.

Are you serious about thrash being buried here !! :shock:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 15, 2007
Sharjah has this recycle program. I've seen newly installed grabage bin with separators from biodegradable and not etc.

Concord, you really drew that location map? You must have ample time to mind everything that surrounds you.

I think it's a matter of comfortability. I am uncomfortable leaving my trash outside the door. Whenever i go out, i make it a habit to carry the trash with me and put them in a big garbage bin next to the building.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 18, 2007
Talk about garbage, I went to my garbage chute room this morning and there are garbages on the floor !! The chute is just right next to it. :shock:

How annoying !! Thank goodness it didnt stink - yet!
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 18, 2007
SCY wrote:Sharjah has this recycle program. I've seen newly installed grabage bin with separators from biodegradable and not etc.

Concord, you really drew that location map? You must have ample time to mind everything that surrounds you.

I think it's a matter of comfortability. I am uncomfortable leaving my trash outside the door. Whenever i go out, i make it a habit to carry the trash with me and put them in a big garbage bin next to the building.

It was easy:

Here is a copy of it

____ your door____________________I elevator I_________I garbage chute I

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat