Visiting Dubai And Have A Few Questions

Topic locked
Visiting Dubai and have a few questions Sep 23, 2007
My financee and I booked a holiday to Dubai for November and are really looking forward to it, but a couple of things that have rasied over the past few days have made us a little nervous.

A few questions:

* From Foreign Affairs in Australia, they have advised a strong degree of caution in traveling to Dubai and the UAE in general. We were thinking of travelling to Sharjah and Abu Dhabi too. How safe would we be in these places?

* I've seen warnings about Taxi companies in Dubai with them being very unsafe. Is this only certain companies? What's the best way of getting around?

Would really appreciate some comments :)

NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 23, 2007
I would consider Dubai one of the safest places I've lived, in every respect, bar the absolutely atrocious driving. I could walk about at 4am with a hat made of money, and still feel 100 times safer than the UK.

Just give everyone else the respect you feel that you deserve, irrespective of their colour or creed. I've found everybody really friendly and helpful.

There are absolutely no problems visiting any of the other Emirates. If you hire a car, just beware of anything white with a Toyota badge. The larger it is, and the faster it's travelling is directly proportional to the danger it represents.

Taxi's aren't too bad really. You may need to remind the driver to slow down occasionally. The reputable taxi firms all have electronic meters, what you see on the dial is what you pay, and they work on distance travelled as opposed to the journey time. Taxi limousines are available from hotels, they'll give you a card, and if you're happy you may be able to ring the same guy again. The costs are reasonably similar. I would recommend using taxis here above other transport, they've never given me any problems.

Say hello to everyone, smile and shake hands alot...and chill out. That's my experience. Oh. You're Aussies. That comes naturally, you'll be fine!
mbwa shenzi
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 23, 2007
Thanks for that response, very helpful :)

We're looking into hotels and are struggling to find one that is good but isn't US$400+ a night. Any recommendations? What's the best area to look at, and which areas should be avoided?

Do you also know of any good deals you can get when we're over there for flights to Egypt and Turkey. Looks at internet fares, it's around $1,500 Australian dollars which is more expensive than our actual flight there in the first place!

Thanks again.
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 23, 2007
Sorry I can't be of immediate help regarding hotels, as I only stay in hotels on very special occasions, so $400 a night for a special weekend just creeps inside my budget.

I would probably suggest the 'Deira' area for a hotel. It's an older part of Dubai, but the standard of hotels is fine. May have a little time later today to look into it!

You're in luck with the cheap flights though. Jazeera Airways and Air Arabia do very cheap flights throughout the region. Friday / saturday is our weekend here, so if you avoid either side of the weekend you'll get a good deal. The airlines are basic but the aircraft are brand new and well maintained. Type 'jazeeraairways' or 'airarabia' into your search engine.

May get back to you on the hotel front. Less than $400 won't get you a beach front resort though!
mbwa shenzi
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 23, 2007
Ok. For some 'official' advice, including hotel info and prices, try www.dubaicityguide.com or www.eyeofdubai.com.

If you visit www.oag.com this site will tell you which airlines fly from A to B throughout the world. It won't include low cost carriers though.
mbwa shenzi
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for that guys :)

If you have any other information you wish to share, please do.
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 28, 2007
Try and get a hotel package with your flight. It's usually the cheapest way.

I saw adverts recently for two companies that offer serviced apartments, I think in Dubai Marina. One had 650 dhs per night as a cheapest rate. Can't remember which but you'll find information here - hotels in Dubai or cheap hotels in Dubai.

There are some cheap places in Deira but you'll get stuck in traffic everytime you want to go somewhere further than walking. Don't rent a car if you do stay there.

Taxis are safe. Buses also but slower. And yes, you'll pick up a cheap fare here. Or look at airarabia.com and jazeeraairways.com for cheap online fares.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 29, 2007
We'll be staying at the Novotel World Trade Centre Dubai, seems a pretty decent hotel :)
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 29, 2007
Good choice. The Blue Bar there is good for jazz music (no bands during Ramadan though).
bonk

Sep 29, 2007
Great, that's good to know :) A bit disappointing to miss out a beach hotel due to the prices, but hopefully this one isn't too far away from the action.

We're heading to Dubai in mid-November, so its outside of Ramadan thank goodness.

Seeing as you see to be an expert on the matter, would you mind checking my thread on taking photos in Dubai :wink:
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 29, 2007
NZLivinginAUS wrote:but hopefully this one isn't too far away from the action.
It's a long walk I'm afraid. They may have their own bus, and/or a connection with a beach club - ask them. Otherwise you're stuck with taxis.
We're heading to Dubai in mid-November, so its outside of Ramadan thank goodness.

So I see, missed that bit first time round :oops: .

Seeing as you see to be an expert on the matter, would you mind checking my thread on taking photos in Dubai :wink:

Expert? You must be joking :). Expert BSA is what I'm usually referred to as ...
bonk

Oct 14, 2007
enjoy dubai+abu dhabi - avoid sharjah!
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 15, 2007
Avoid Sharjah? How come?
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 16, 2007
i'm from sydney, been here since early this year and it is absolutely fine-- safe, friendly and no worries on english language

beaches are no drama-- will cost you 35 dirhams tops (so approx $10)-- pick up a copy of dubai explorer if you can-- it is a great reference

you got a good fare but you CAN get good fares as advised to other parts of the region

have a great trip-- the weather will be getting cooler and more comfortable when you get here!
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2007
NZLivinginAUS wrote:Avoid Sharjah? How come?

Sharjah is famous for its Saudi-esq rules.
no booze and generally stricter rules.

Dubai and Abu Dhabi, you will enjoy however
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 20, 2007
Thanks for that Sydneysider, good to hear about the weather!

Re Sharjah? As it seems to be just up the road from Dubai, it seems to be worth a visit. Would you guys advise giving it a miss?
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 21, 2007
Thanks for that guys.
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Apr 21, 2009
dubai properties is one of the best development in the real estate.
To day you can buy property in dubai for a bragain price.
It is important to not that Dubai real estate development have been corrected since last september 2008 and the market was correcting himself since.

Buy, sell, rent properties in dubai

www.alineah.com
Alineah
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Guide and photosForum Rules

Return to Dubai Guide and photos