Is This Job Offer Realistic For Dubai?

Topic locked
Is this job offer realistic for Dubai? Oct 12, 2007
I have been offered the following to teach conversational English to adults for 30 hours a week. I am wondering if the following terms are realistic for Dubai. After doing a little research on my own, they seem a little high.

Salary: USD 4400/month + 4000 at the end of one-year contract
Free furnished apartment
100% health insurance
Transportation and food weekly allowance: amount unspecified
100% of round-trip airfare, apparently upfront rather than reimbursed after arrival (still unclear)
Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, plus one week paid vacation

Does this package look right for an ESL teacher?

Thank you.

artteacher
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 12, 2007
That sounds like a great package to me....

Find out if you're sharing the apartment and how close it is to work.

I'd say it's high for ESL and I'd want them to provide airfare up front.
dualcitizen
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 12, 2007
have them specify the amount of the other allowances so you can gauge better.
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Is this job offer realistic for Dubai? Oct 12, 2007
artteacher wrote:I have been offered the following to teach conversational English to adults for 30 hours a week. I am wondering if the following terms are realistic for Dubai. After doing a little research on my own, they seem a little high.

Salary: USD 4400/month + 4000 at the end of one-year contract
yes, pretty standard gratuity

Free furnished apartment
not bad, find out who is liable for water, electricity, telephone etc.

100% health insurance
health insurance or government health plan?? a government health card is mandatory by law and is not a perk

Transportation and food weekly allowance: amount unspecified
definitly clear this up before there are any problems, never leave something like this "open eneded" in negotiation, get them to comit to a figure in writing.

100% of round-trip airfare, apparently upfront rather than reimbursed after arrival (still unclear)
ask them to provide you with a return ticket valid for one year, in anycase if they are recruiting you directly from abroad they are responsible for the flight cost!

Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, plus one week paid vacation
you are actually entitled to 30 days leave, but this is normally on the basis of a 3 year contract, I would ask them for at least 21 days (3 weeks).

i would advise against being paid on an hourly basis, rather settle for a set amount per month and have the number of working hours written into the contract as well.

Does this package look right for an ESL teacher?

Okay otherwise, i'd also agree that it looks a little high considering the number of hours worked. perhaps check the company out, ask them for copies of thier trade license as well as thier registration certificate at the department of education - if they don't have this permit they may be operating illegally!

Thank you.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 13, 2007
Very useful, dbx, thank you!
artteacher
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted