Most Recited Prayer - Ever

Topic locked
Most Recited Prayer - ever Mar 23, 2007
I was pondering over what I could do for my 1000th post here on DF when it occured that I should perhaps post the most perfect prayer that I know.

This prayer has it all and is the most recited prayer in history. Every day it is recited over a billion times - a Muslim who prays their obligatory prayer will say this prayer over 30 times a day, many say it more. So if we assume that only one in 30 muslims say their prayers, I think the billion times a day is an underestimate. As I like numbers, this means that it is said over 360 Billion times a year and therefore at least 360 thousand billion times over the past millenium and a half. That's a staggering number of times.

The prayer itself comprises seven short verses and yet whole books of commentary have been written on the meanings of these verses. In fact the verses of this prayer summarise the whole of the Quran and the religion of Islam.

The prayer is the opening chapter of the Quran and is known by many names - but its main name is 'Al Fateha' - the opening, below is the translation (which does not do justice to the full meaning in Arabic, which is how the prayer is recited):

In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful
All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
The Gracious, the Merciful,
Master of the Day of Judgment.
Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
Guide us in the right path --
The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray.

Wasalaam,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 23, 2007
nice :sith: post!
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 23, 2007
Beautifull 1000 post 8) 8)
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 23, 2007
congrats brother :flower:
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 12, 2007
thnx for such a awesome post. its a reminder of one of the most powerful surah in Holy Quran!
Dr.Angel
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 06, 2007
well people have gone through this beautiful prayer umpteen times but has this prayer really gone through us? Has this made any change in us in terms of spiritual enlightenment? Or is it just another statistic which we are proud of?
coolspirit
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Most Recited Prayer - ever Aug 08, 2007
shafique wrote:. In fact the verses of this prayer summarise the whole of the Quran and the religion of Islam.

All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
The Gracious, the Merciful,

How do you explain the quote from a prominent Middle Eastern editor that says "Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim" then? Clearly a broad (and possibly sarcastic) statement from the above, but it goes hugely against the anti-Westen bile oft-spouted on here.

To be fair to Shafique, my comments above don't apply to him/ her.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 10, 2007
I wander how shafique is getting on, if you read this buddy a big hello to you.

A good man whom won my respect even though we disagreed on some points.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Aug 26, 2007
Salaam everyone!

I'm currently enjoying a holiday in Mauritius with the family and had some spare time to surf the net and catch up with what's going in Dubai, and Dubai forums.

I may spare some time and start posting again here... we'll see. :)

About the quotation given by Scot about all terrorists being Muslim - well, it certainly does seem to be the case that the media only seems to mention the religion of a terrorist if they are Muslim - or perhaps it is just our selective memories?

There are many conflicts around the world where terrorism is employed, from Maoist rebels in Nepal to various militias all around Africa. You have kidnappings and other killings of civilians in many South African countries, you have Basque separatists in Spain - and yes, you have Catholic terrorists in Northern Ireland still (the 'real' IRA). Go to Sri Lanka and you find a recent history of suicide bombers - but no mention that they are 'Hindu terrorists'. Asia is replete with state terrorists and counter-insurgencies - Burma, Indonesia etc.

Hmmm - perhaps they are all Muslim afterall? :)

All that said - my intention with this thread was to focus on the positive - to emphasise the most often recited prayer in history and have people read and realise that Islam's core message is one that no one could object to.

Cheers

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 26, 2007
The Real IRA, like all of the other branches with the possible exception of the PIRA, have mainly christian members (sectarian conflict, remember) but does not act on account of religious differences - they act on nationalistic ones.

And no, I don't think they or the atheist Tamil Tigers have ever used religious means to justify the violence.
Frederick
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 27, 2007
Frederick wrote:The Real IRA, like all of the other branches with the possible exception of the PIRA, have mainly christian members (sectarian conflict, remember) but does not act on account of religious differences - they act on nationalistic ones.

And no, I don't think they or the atheist Tamil Tigers have ever used religious means to justify the violence.

The IRA are Catholic and fighting Protestants - both are Irish. The Protestants do not want to be under the rule of a Catholic government and the divisions have always been on the lines of religion.

But that is to miss the point of my post - it was to answer the allegation that all the terrorist acts are undertaken by Muslims, the above list of terrorist groups was to answer this. I have not said that they justify killing using religion, on the contrary I have pointed out ad-nauseum that it appears to be only Muslims who are labelled 'Islamic Terrorists' and you never see 'Catholic Terrorist', 'Hindu Terrorist' etc

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 28, 2007
The IRA are Catholic and fighting Protestants

Irish Republicanism was founded by a Protestant and some of the most prominent Republicans were Protestants e.g Wolfe Tone, Charles Stuart Parnell, Daniel O'Connell. One of the key points of the Republican policy document is separation between church and state. The idea that the troubles in Ireland are a religious conflict is absurd.

the divisions have always been on the lines of religion.

Protestants and Catholics were found on both sides of the conflict. The majority of IRA killings were directed against British forces and not the Protestant community. Church leaders on both sides routinely condemned the violence, and the claims of responsibility for the bombings and assassinations did not typically quote from the Bible or make reference to God.

and you never see 'Catholic Terrorist', 'Hindu Terrorist' etc

The IRA did not have a Biblical charter. In fact, they were a Marxist-atheist organization. The same holds true for the Maoist Tamil Tigers. Neither group was religious (again left wing atheist) and the IRA never used the New Testament to justify their violence. Muslim terrorists quote liberally from the Qur'an in their statements, and are very explicit about their intentions to fight "holy war" for the cause of Islam
Frederick
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2007
deleted - see new thread
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 28, 2007
Frederick,

I will start a new thread.. as we seem to have gone off topic
- the thread is about the most recited prayer ever.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 30, 2007
obviously not an effective prayer.. just look at all the suffering and pain in the world today.
Eros
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 30, 2007
Eros wrote:obviously not an effective prayer.. just look at all the suffering and pain in the world today.

Cause and effect.

I look at the almost daily natural disasters and don't think 'Global Warming' but think God is sending us a message that we have strayed from His grace.

Many millions of Muslims do find peace in this prayer - I know I do.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums