Possible Move To Dubai... Anyone Willing To Share Comments?

Topic locked
Possible move to Dubai... Anyone willing to share comments? Aug 09, 2007
My girlfriend & I are considering a move to a foreign country for the experience, culture, networking, & a better resume. So far UAE seems to be our favorite, specifically Dubai. We have never been, however, that is part of the fun we are hoping to achieve... Excitement.

I have read many articles, forums, chats, & look into jobs, real estate (Rent & Buy), culture, & city life. So far it seems very promising for a westerner to create a great quality of life in Dubai.

I have concerns as I have heard some negativity, but not much. I also am worried that us being American could be a big drawback.

To get to the point, I am looking for some advice or even personal stories that could either offer encouragement or even the opposite.

Much appreciated & thankful in advance.

"Hark"

harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 09, 2007
Being American in Dubai is a BIG positive, if anything.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 09, 2007
gtmash wrote:Being American in Dubai is a BIG positive, if anything.

That is a positive to hear... I assumed with how messed up our President has made things, it may affect my ability to find work. Do you know many Americans there working & living currently?
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 09, 2007
Welcome...

There are loads of Americans over here and people from all over the world living and working.

There is loads of info on the forum. Search around on the forum and get a list of questions that you want answering. You should be able to find most of the answers using the search function though.

My story in brief - I was in the UK and covered a position here for 3 months and now I have moved here with the company. Its a great place to be but moving here and getting things setup can be stressful, but its the same anywhere.

Some people on the forum have a real issue with westerners as they tend to earn higher salaries and get bigger packages than other regions. My advice is take what you can get. Aim high and get a big package.

Regarding any hostility towards you in Dubai - you have nothing to worry about. Dubai is a big melting pot of many religions, colour, creed, and beliefs.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Possible move to Dubai... Anyone willing to share commen Aug 09, 2007
harkev wrote:
I have concerns as I have heard some negativity, but not much. I also am worried that us being American could be a big drawback.

"Hark"

being American is advantage not a draw back :=). Its same being a puppy and all people become friendly to you :P :lol:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Possible move to Dubai... Anyone willing to share commen Aug 09, 2007
harkev wrote:My girlfriend & I are considering a move to a foreign country for the experience, culture, networking, & a better resume. So far UAE seems to be our favorite, specifically Dubai. We have never been, however, that is part of the fun we are hoping to achieve... Excitement.

I have read many articles, forums, chats, & look into jobs, real estate (Rent & Buy), culture, & city life. So far it seems very promising for a westerner to create a great quality of life in Dubai.

To get to the point, I am looking for some advice or even personal stories that could either offer encouragement or even the opposite.

Much appreciated & thankful in advance.

"Hark"

I don't think you will have any problem here in Dubai, being American will not be an issue. The general mindset in USA regarding the Middle East is basically wrong. Come here with an open mind and you will be fine.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 09, 2007
hey i just moved here from the states a couple of months ago and it's been great so far. the only issues i had with were the level of customer service, basically there is none here, so if you need something done, you gonna have to keep after it.

but living here has been great the last 2 months, you'll like it.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 09, 2007
All promising stories & comments. I guess this time it may pay off to be american despite my idiot president(opinion only).

Thanks for your words of support & I look forward to possibly meeting some of you there!!!

If you have any words of advice for finding a job I could use it. haven't had much response to my CV & it's been sent quite a bit.

Cheers.

"Hark"
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 11, 2007
XPClone wrote:Welcome...

There are loads of Americans over here and people from all over the world living and working.

There is loads of info on the forum. Search around on the forum and get a list of questions that you want answering. You should be able to find most of the answers using the search function though.

My story in brief - I was in the UK and covered a position here for 3 months and now I have moved here with the company. Its a great place to be but moving here and getting things setup can be stressful, but its the same anywhere.

Some people on the forum have a real issue with westerners as they tend to earn higher salaries and get bigger packages than other regions. My advice is take what you can get. Aim high and get a big package.

Regarding any hostility towards you in Dubai - you have nothing to worry about. Dubai is a big melting pot of many religions, colour, creed, and beliefs.

Welcome harkev

XPClone got it the other way around , why should we care about how much you get paid !! it's not like we are paying it out of our pockets LOOOL it's expats who neverget enough as they claim !!

Our real issue is our gov allowing this much manpower from outside and locals unemployment rate is going up. You know ,like the Mexicans back home.

Have a pleasant stay, our casa is your casa :)
firefingers

Aug 11, 2007
Welcome harkev

XPClone got it the other way around , why should we care about how much you get paid !! it's not like we are paying it out of our pockets LOOOL it's expats who neverget enough as they claim !!

Our real issue is our gov allowing this much manpower from outside and locals unemployment rate is going up. You know ,like the Mexicans back home.

Have a pleasant stay, our casa is your casa :)[/quote]

Are many locals not able to find work because of the growing expat population? It would seem unfair if all the high paying jobs were being taken by expats & the locals were getting nothing in return.
In America the expats/mexicans are illegal & typically get paid below the minimum wage, plus they do the jobs I probably wouldn't want to be doing anyways.
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 11, 2007
harkev wrote:
Are many locals not able to find work because of the growing expat population? It would seem unfair if all the high paying jobs were being taken by expats & the locals were getting nothing in return.
In America the expats/mexicans are illegal & typically get paid below the minimum wage, plus they do the jobs I probably wouldn't want to be doing anyways.

Dig up the guy's old posts and then decide if you want to listen to him for advice.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 12, 2007
harkev wrote:If you have any words of advice for finding a job I could use it. haven't had much response to my CV & it's been sent quite a bit.

Try monstergulf.com, naukrigulf.com, mawaride.com, gulfnews.com (classifieds), etc.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 13, 2007
gtmash wrote:
Dig up the guy's old posts and then decide if you want to listen to him for advice.

I take this guy is an idiot??
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 13, 2007
i'm originally from US-- no dramas

would absolutely reiterate everything said about stressful start-ups here-- this is, for all the glam, a "developing" country

what line of work are you interested in? also, read the threads on unmarrieds living together...
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2007
Sydneysider wrote:i'm originally from US-- no dramas

would absolutely reiterate everything said about stressful start-ups here-- this is, for all the glam, a "developing" country

what line of work are you interested in? also, read the threads on unmarrieds living together...

I am currently working in the Real Estate biz & hoping to find something along those lines. I am currently chatting with an owner of a large apt complex for a job. Know of any work or available positions? Right now I don't care what I do, just as long as I have a paycheck when we get there.

Glad to here no dramas living there, but I am worried about the stresses of starting up. Any specific tips I should focus on or mistakes you made I can learn from?

Kevin
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 13, 2007

I am currently working in the Real Estate biz & hoping to find something along those lines. I am currently chatting with an owner of a large apt complex for a job. Know of any work or available positions? Right now I don't care what I do, just as long as I have a paycheck when we get there.

Glad to here no dramas living there, but I am worried about the stresses of starting up. Any specific tips I should focus on or mistakes you made I can learn from?

Kevin
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 13, 2007
harkev wrote:

Kevin

if you are from the states, the biggest thing i would advise you on is to forget customer service. no one shows up on time when you make appts for deliveries or maitenance calls. other than that, enjoy setting yourself up.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 13, 2007
K,

First big :shock: to many is that you have to pay the rent up-front!. That is a year's rent in one check :shock: Sometimes a second post dated check or even 3 but that's it.

It depends on where you want to live (share with others, etc.)

But then you are in real estate....

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 13, 2007
Concord wrote:K,

First big :shock: to many is that you have to pay the rent up-front!. That is a year's rent in one check :shock: Sometimes a second post dated check or even 3 but that's it.

I allowed my tenant four payments as she wanted. I just said whatever.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 13, 2007
I'm doing the same thing!

Fying out to Dubai end of this month.

Get job, stay!

Well that's the plan!

There is loads of advice on here.... including lots about 'living together'..... apartently not the done thing!! :shock:

When are you planning to arrive??

:D
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 13, 2007
English Girlie wrote:I'm doing the same thing!

Fying out to Dubai end of this month.

Get job, stay!

Well that's the plan!

There is loads of advice on here.... including lots about 'living together'..... apartently not the done thing!! :shock:

When are you planning to arrive??

:D

We won't be coming til Jan 08. We have a few things to clear up, but it won't be long. I will probably be coming earlier to check things out & get us a place first. flight is 2 days long though... not cool.
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 14, 2007
if you're taking an emirates flght, not so bad, even in economy

otherwise, yeah, it'll be a long haul "trip" for sure
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2007
Sydneysider wrote:if you're taking an emirates flght, not so bad, even in economy

Do you highly reccomend Emirates for price & size? I have been hearing Dubai has terrible customer service so I am a bit concerned it wouldnt be that great.

Any thoughts?
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 14, 2007
harkev wrote:
Sydneysider wrote:if you're taking an emirates flght, not so bad, even in economy

Do you highly reccomend Emirates for price & size? I have been hearing Dubai has terrible customer service so I am a bit concerned it wouldnt be that great.

Any thoughts?

Emirates is the exception to the rule!

As airlines go - they are certainly one of the better ones and do recognise customer loyalty unlike many other services in Dubai
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 14, 2007
harkev wrote:

Any thoughts?

Emirates is the exception to the rule!

As airlines go - they are certainly one of the better ones and do recognise customer loyalty unlike many other services in Dubai

Sorry - Double Post
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 14, 2007
harkev wrote:

Any thoughts?

the customer service that's terrbile is in country itself. the airlines is great. thats the only one i use for my business flights. you shouldnt have any second thoughts bout emirates airlines.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 14, 2007
nuzbim wrote:
harkev wrote:

Any thoughts?

the customer service that's terrbile is in country itself. the airlines is great. thats the only one i use for my business flights. you shouldnt have any second thoughts bout emirates airlines.

Yep. Love Emirates.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 14, 2007
nuzbim wrote:
harkev wrote:

Any thoughts?

Yep. Love Emirates.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 14, 2007
^ you really must - you said it twice.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 14, 2007
Emirates are fantastic! :D

Don't do BA, whatever you do..... they are shite! :shock:
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper