I've Searched & Searched!! I Can't Find An Answer....

Topic locked
I've searched & searched!! I can't find an answer.... Aug 10, 2007
I didn't want to ask a question that had already been asked, but how appropriate is it for western women to wear their typical "western" clothing? Is it basically excepted that women who are not muslim will wear what they want?

I also heard you are not supposed to make eye contact with a woman or else.... anyone know what I am talking about?

harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 10, 2007
i've seen women wearing whatever they want. at the malls you'll see women dressed as liberally as back home or as conservative as they wish. you should be fine.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 10, 2007
This is Dubai - Relax!!

Have you visited Dubai? If you have, then you will know that all your concerns are unfounded.

If you are thinking of moving here, I would suggest a few visits staying in different hotels in different areas to get 'a feel' of the place

Accomodation is easily available - but as you will have read on here many times - it is expensive. (if you are coming form London, the cots are around the same)
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 10, 2007
Actually I would say you should not be as liberal as you would at home. Women should not go into a shopping mall dressed in what they just came from the beach in.

For clubs/bars etc fine. But remember that you are in a muslim country and there are some areas and times of the year when you should dress more conservatively, in the souq's, during Ramadan etc.

The whole don't make eye contact thing is with the covered women. For example (and I've seen this happen) if there is a lady wearing traditional dress, she might be local or Saudi, in an elevator with her husband/brother/father, the man might stop other men entering the lift. It happens sometimes, rarely but it does.

Just use your head, that's all.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 10, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:the man might stop other men entering the lift. It happens sometimes, rarely but it does.

hahah really? Its not something islamic , its something what we call hypo :lol: Men go to as many women as he wants and women r not even allowed to look at someone :=).

The tragedy of muslim man is that he wants to deprive the other girls from virginity and when someone has same wish for his family then he declares Jihad against him.
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 11, 2007
chill this a dubai 99.9% of da ppl are hipocritz here except the ruler and me
westside
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 11, 2007
HP wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:the man might stop other men entering the lift. It happens sometimes, rarely but it does.

hahah really? Its not something islamic , its something what we call hypo :lol: Men go to as many women as he wants and women r not even allowed to look at someone :=).

The tragedy of muslim man is that he wants to deprive the other girls from virginity and when someone has same wish for his family then he declares Jihad against him.

I'm not even going to commen on your statment HP.
firefingers

Sep 04, 2007
where what you want, just save the bikini for the beach!
i too was unsure about clothing, but now im here, i wear what i want, no one says anything. and you never see the muslims apart from in the shopping malls anyway.

i always look at the muslim women, i didnt know about the 'eye contact' thing. but really, they are all so arrogant that they will never see you looking at them anyway!

now ramadan is coming, i guess you should just dress sensibly, but by no means consevative.
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 05, 2007
mouth zipped!! :?:
real_foxy
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 05, 2007
dave101 wrote:where what you want, just save the bikini for the beach!
i too was unsure about clothing, but now im here, i wear what i want, no one says anything. and you never see the muslims apart from in the shopping malls anyway.

i always look at the muslim women, i didnt know about the 'eye contact' thing. but really, they are all so arrogant that they will never see you looking at them anyway!

now ramadan is coming, i guess you should just dress sensibly, but by no means consevative.

What do you mean - you don't see the muslims? it is more than likely that your taxi driver is Muslim, also the construction workers, people in your office, 7 Elevator in the building.

And arrogant - puhlease. The english in dubai or more arrogant than the nationals.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 05, 2007
dunno i never look at women when they are wearing the traditional black dress especially if the face is covered. and usually i maintain a distance of about a meter when i walk past them in malls. just so im safe. :lol:

as for the western women dress thing, ive seen in malls where both arabic/western based women were only wearing two piece swimsuit bra's and short shorts inside a shop in deira city centre :lol: quite shocking. and theres lots more of em, just visit city centre mall. im not muslim nor unliberated but imo they should cover up. its a mall not a beach/night club.
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Re: I've searched & searched!! I can't find an answer... Sep 05, 2007
harkev wrote:I didn't want to ask a question that had already been asked, but how appropriate is it for western women to wear their typical "western" clothing? Is it basically excepted that women who are not muslim will wear what they want?

I also heard you are not supposed to make eye contact with a woman or else.... anyone know what I am talking about?

I have always worn what i wanted in Dubai.
However I would say that there is a need to be alittle conservative!
Unless you are happy being galped at!

I was told once that muslims cannot take a second glance, so they make their first one/only one a real stare...... kind of uncomfortable, until you get used to it!

Just need to be respectful..... I guess, but that is probably no different than home!

Don't wear 'kinis to the mall etc...... and keep the boobies inside at dinner time!

When I went to University in the UK, my HOY told me..... which I will always remember...... 'wear enough'!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 05, 2007
I wish some women would wear clothes less revealing! MUCH LESS!
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 05, 2007
^ian^ wrote:I wish some women would wear clothes less revealing! MUCH LESS!

Yeah specially the 60 year odl "teenagers" with the sousage suits on. Holy crap!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2007
yes i should of explained better, i meant the tranditional dressed muslims, not the regular 'actually work' muslims, sorry bout that.

and now i know why the (traditionally dressed female) muslims seem so arrogant, they always walk into you and expect you to move, i didnt know i was supposed to! well amazing ive not seen these 'stares' yet....

i agree alot of english here are also very arrogant, i think i am too, i know its there country an' all but hey, sh-ough t-it!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: I've searched & searched!! I can't find an answer... Sep 05, 2007
English Girlie wrote:
harkev wrote:
I was told once that muslims cannot take a second glance, so they make their first one/only one a real stare...... kind of uncomfortable, until you get used to it!

That is not true they cant do a long stare has you say, that kind of defeats the purpose someones told you wrong here.

Its a glance that is all they can do :wink:
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat