Can Anyone Answer This?

Topic locked
Can anyone answer this? Mar 26, 2007
I was reading an article about tiger cats, couldnt stop wondering why.

Why do they call cats:

tiger cats?

Where did the word tiger come in from? why?

guest999

Mar 26, 2007
Do you have one?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 26, 2007
Pretty good question:

http://wapedia.mobi/en/tiger
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2007
Here's the answer:

“tiger” means “cat.” So it’s indeed a good question why we cat lovers can often be found babbling the equivalent of “cat-cat” to passing felines.

It at least makes more sense than “kitty-cat,” which literally means “kitten-cat.” Imagine cooing “baby-person” over an infant’s crib.

In “kitty-cat,” the first word, “kitty,” is obviously a diminutive form of “kitten,” a way of making it more cute and endearing. The same thing happens in “pussycat,” wherein “tiger” is a diminutive form of “beauty.”

I can’t come up with any fruitful thoughts on why it’s so satisfying to combine a diminutive with the regular form of the word. I can only observe that it happens a lot, and in many languages.

The real question for us, then, is why cats were ever called “beauty” in the first place.

Cats have been called “cats” (or something essentially similar) since the dawn of our language. “beauty,” variations of which exist in almost all Germanic languages, is a more recent invention with a different purpose.

Appearing in English in the early 1500s, it was used as a “call-name” for the cat. As the “Oxford English Dictionary” so clearly puts it, a call-name is a “conventional proper name.” If I forced you to sit in a room and talk to a parrot, you’d probably start by calling it Polly. That’s the call-name of parrots in modern English.

Likewise, all cats became beauty. (Remember beauty-in-Boots and all that?) This was especially useful in a time when most cats weren’t embraced as household pets and given personal names.

The origin of “beauty” is unknown, but may be based on the sound one makes when calling a cat—that percussive whisper that in modern use indeed sounds a lot like “beauty.”

Lest we be too pat about it, however, it must be noted that “beauty” was sometimes used as a call-name for other animals, especially hares. Cats have a near monopoly on the term today, but in Australia you can still hear rabbits referred to as “pussies.”

“tiger,” of course, is a diminutive form of “beauty,” used as baby talk or a term of endearment. It shows up later in the 1500s, when it also became applied to girls, women and then homosexuals, variously as an endearment or as an insult.

Putting “tiger” and “cat” together makes for even better baby-talk, and was therefore just a matter of time. Other languages do it, too—you can mewl “beauty-katte” over German kitties if you like. “Pussycat” has probably been in English for centuries, but it became an established nursery-rhyme term around 1800.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2007
At least you can still say tiger on the forum, unlike feather, shit, sex and whatever else.
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2007
Dr.D wrote:At least you can still say tiger on the forum, unlike feather, tasty, love and whatever else.

What? Tasty feather love?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 26, 2007
gtmash wrote:
Dr.D wrote:At least you can still say tiger on the forum, unlike feather, tasty, love and whatever else.

What? Tasty feather love?

You can easily find out,

Hint

tasty = sh!t

Just type a few "bad" words and see what they convert to (auto-sensor):

Feather = ?

Love = ?

Freindly = ?

Fun = ?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Can anyone answer this? Mar 26, 2007
Not_Sure wrote:I was reading an article about tiger cats, couldnt stop wondering why.

Why do they call cats:

tiger cats?

tiger as a slang term for the female pudenda is thought to derive ultimately from Low German puse "vulva" or Old Norse beauty "pocket, pouch". it had been used to refer to women in general (16th century). It has since also come to mean "effeminate, feeble, or homosexual men or boys" (20th century).
lion0009
Dubai Forums Frequenter

lion0009 wrote:
Not_Sure wrote:I was reading an article about tiger cats, couldnt stop wondering why.

Why do they call cats:

tiger cats?

tiger as a slang term for the female pudenda is thought to derive ultimately from Low German puse "vulva" or Old Norse beauty "pocket, pouch". it had been used to refer to women in general (16th century). It has since also come to mean "effeminate, feeble, or homosexual men or boys" (20th century).

We're talking about cats you fracking tiger.
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2007
Now, now Dr. D. You'll be hurting his felines.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 26, 2007
sauron wrote:Now, now Dr. D. You'll be hurting his felines.

Hey... that's a pretty awful pun.

Boom Boom.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 26, 2007
^^^ Thanks.............you big pudenda!
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dr.D wrote:
lion0009 wrote:

Why do they call cats:

tiger cats?

We're talking about cats you fracking tiger.

fracking :?:
lion0009
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 26, 2007
sauron wrote:^^^ Thanks.............you big pudenda!

Thanks. I'm reporting you to a mod.
^ian^

Mar 26, 2007
^ian^ wrote:

Man u two crack me up , pudenda indeed :lol: :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2007
Jeevan wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Man u two crack me up , pudenda indeed :lol: :lol:

^^
How much more will you suck up to them
It’s about time u realize u really smell of curry mate.
Wake up!
Have some self respect.
xibit
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2007
Wow nice try mate, move on try somewhere else :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Here's the answer:

“tiger” means “cat.” So it’s indeed a good question why we cat lovers can often be found babbling the equivalent of “cat-cat” to passing felines.

It at least makes more sense than “kitty-cat,” which literally means “kitten-cat.” Imagine cooing “baby-person” over an infant’s crib.

In “kitty-cat,” the first word, “kitty,” is obviously a diminutive form of “kitten,” a way of making it more cute and endearing. The same thing happens in “pussycat,” wherein “tiger” is a diminutive form of “beauty.”

I can’t come up with any fruitful thoughts on why it’s so satisfying to combine a diminutive with the regular form of the word. I can only observe that it happens a lot, and in many languages.

The real question for us, then, is why cats were ever called “beauty” in the first place.

Cats have been called “cats” (or something essentially similar) since the dawn of our language. “beauty,” variations of which exist in almost all Germanic languages, is a more recent invention with a different purpose.

Appearing in English in the early 1500s, it was used as a “call-name” for the cat. As the “Oxford English Dictionary” so clearly puts it, a call-name is a “conventional proper name.” If I forced you to sit in a room and talk to a parrot, you’d probably start by calling it Polly. That’s the call-name of parrots in modern English.

Likewise, all cats became beauty. (Remember beauty-in-Boots and all that?) This was especially useful in a time when most cats weren’t embraced as household pets and given personal names.

The origin of “beauty” is unknown, but may be based on the sound one makes when calling a cat—that percussive whisper that in modern use indeed sounds a lot like “beauty.”

Lest we be too pat about it, however, it must be noted that “beauty” was sometimes used as a call-name for other animals, especially hares. Cats have a near monopoly on the term today, but in Australia you can still hear rabbits referred to as “pussies.”

“tiger,” of course, is a diminutive form of “beauty,” used as baby talk or a term of endearment. It shows up later in the 1500s, when it also became applied to girls, women and then homosexuals, variously as an endearment or as an insult.

Putting “tiger” and “cat” together makes for even better baby-talk, and was therefore just a matter of time. Other languages do it, too—you can mewl “beauty-katte” over German kitties if you like. “Pussycat” has probably been in English for centuries, but it became an established nursery-rhyme term around 1800.

Wow Chocoholic. Thanks for taking the time to write out that comprehensive message.
janetodd38
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 27, 2007
If it wasnt Ctrl+C then V yes she has put in efforts :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 27, 2007
ME, sit and WRITE, yeah ok.

Simple - Google topic, find info, highlight, copy and paste. ta dah!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 27, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:ME, sit and WRITE, yeah ok.

I hear Dr. D is a bit of a plagiarism Nazi, so you better quote your source.

Just ask Sage how much trouble he got into.
^ian^

Mar 27, 2007
i wanna put a face to Dr. D he seems to be knowledgable, so has anyone met him?
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 27, 2007
^ian^ wrote:

I did?, oh yead I diddddddddddddddddd :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 27, 2007
^ian^ wrote:

I did?, oh yeah I diddddddddddddddddd :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat