Rentals/living Cost In Dubai? Help Required..

Topic locked
Rentals/living cost in Dubai? Help required.. Jul 25, 2007
Hi guys
I'm thinking of movin to Dubai in next 3-4 months..
I might settle for a package around USD 110k /annum..
I think, this is sufficient for me n my wife to lead a resonably comfortable life..as i've read from the other posts on this forum.. Please confirm on this..
My main question is on the rentals..I'll be working in Media city..
Will i be able to get a decent 2 bedroom apartment somewhere near media city for around USD 3K ??? Around 15-20 min drive/...which areas should i look for?

Also apart from rent, will i be able to live comfortably in the remaining USD 3K / month which will take care of my grocery / car rental /weekly pubbing/ entertainment / n all other living expenses..

The rest USD 3k / month, i intend to save...

please lemme know as this is a very big decision for me.. n i intend to get benefitted on ur experiences..

cheers!!

xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 25, 2007
Don't worry. You'll be fine.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 25, 2007
You'll be more than fine. Al Barsha area or Greens should be Ok for you.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 25, 2007
if i were you, i'd look at JBR as well. the 2 bedrooms start high but you can get them down, since there's a ton of empty 2 bedrooms. i live there and work in DIC and it takes me 5-8 minutes to get to work.

good luck.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 31, 2007
nuzbim wrote:if i were you, i'd look at JBR as well. the 2 bedrooms start high but you can get them down, since there's a ton of empty 2 bedrooms. i live there and work in DIC and it takes me 5-8 minutes to get to work.

good luck.

Nuzbin what sort of costs are you finding for property inthis area we are moving over shortly and would consider this area
Peter 1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 31, 2007
thanks guys..
i was down there in dubai recently...
had pretty mixed feelings..
any way..how abt Marina to stay... Will a good 2 BHK will be available in Marina for 110K budget..How much a 1 BHK will cost in marina..

n how much a decent car will cost me on rental..i'm not looking for smething very fancy (may be later)..as of now, i'm looking for sme decent 4*4 for rental..will 3500AED pm is a reasonable assumption when i calculate my monthly expenses??

cheers!!
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 31, 2007
peter my 2 bedroom started at 140 but i got him down to 125, nearly 1400 sq feet. JBR is the delayed complex that just started letting people move in, so there's a ton of apts there.

i looked at the marina and the cheapest 2 bedroom i could find was 135 and smaller than 1100 sq ft.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 01, 2007
Thanks again nuzbim - my wife would like a villa rather than an apartment - any advice / idea of costs?

She is moving over early September and i am joining her mid October - we have an aprtment already sorted by her business really nice. We can use it for as long as we like until we find something ourselves.
Peter 1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 01, 2007
i didn't bother looking at villas, as they are too large for me with the upkeep and space. but i was told they can go from 150-500K a year, depending on where you live, but from what i understand villas are harder to come by.

good luck
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 01, 2007
nuzbim wrote:peter my 2 bedroom started at 140 but i got him down to 125, nearly 1400 sq feet. JBR is the delayed complex that just started letting people move in, so there's a ton of apts there.

i looked at the marina and the cheapest 2 bedroom i could find was 135 and smaller than 1100 sq ft.

Hey Nuzbim
Did you pick your apartment up from an agent or the owner direct? and if so how did you find them, 1001 ads for JBR at the moment and trying to decide best way to tackle it :)
Coops
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 01, 2007
went thru an agent who was fed up with the unreasonable rents that were being sought and she put in the offer.

she also rented a 1 bedroom for 90 at jbr, so i felt she would be good.

good luck, there's a ton of people finally moving in, but you should be able to find what you lookin for.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 01, 2007
Would you be able to send/pm me her details :?:
Coops
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 01, 2007
Hi nuzbim
You stay at JBR.. i did google on JBR.. found pretty interesting videos as well..
Is it possible to get a 2 BHK for 100K in JBR..
Also how much will be a 1 BHK in JBR?

i guess its pretty close to Dubai media city where i'd work,...

Any inputs will be highly appreciated..

cheers!
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 01, 2007
xdude wrote:Hi nuzbim
You stay at JBR.. i did google on JBR.. found pretty interesting videos as well..
Is it possible to get a 2 BHK for 100K in JBR..
Also how much will be a 1 BHK in JBR?

i guess its pretty close to Dubai media city where i'd work,...

Any inputs will be highly appreciated..

cheers!

Expect only one parking space. And any visitors will have to walk a few kms.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 01, 2007
i dont know if you can find a 2 bedroom for that low, not unless you go way out from the marina area. the commute to Media city takes less than 10 min by car, i work there as well.

as far as visitors go, there's ways around that, but 2 bedrooms only get 1 parking spot.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 02, 2007
:((..
My budget is max 100K..
Looks like i'll 've to settle for a 1 BHK only.. i'm looking at JBR, Marina or Greens...
I hope i get a decent 1 BHK for 100K in these areas...
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 02, 2007
hey guys
what will be the minimum rental costs for a 4*4.. Nothing very fancy... around 3500K ??
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 02, 2007
xdude wrote::((..
My budget is max 100K..
Looks like i'll 've to settle for a 1 BHK only.. i'm looking at JBR, Marina or Greens...
I hope i get a decent 1 BHK for 100K in these areas...

you shouldnt have any trouble findin a 1 bedroom for that much, i saw a bunch at the greens for 90-100 for 1 bedrooms. marina might be harder in the older buildings, but the new ones have units in that price, but there might be construction that'll you'll have to deal with for awhile.

good luck.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 22, 2007
Umm..
I have budget of 80k-95k and I was thinking of renting 1 bedroom apartment. I will be working in DIC. Is there any map which I could use to get a good picture about Dubai?
Raakile
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 22, 2007
Raakile wrote:Umm..
I have budget of 80k-95k and I was thinking of renting 1 bedroom apartment. I will be working in DIC. Is there any map which I could use to get a good picture about Dubai?

Try Google Maps (maps.google.com) or better Google Earth.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2007
you can try those maps, but keep in mind traffic out here is terrbile. it all depends on what side of szr you live on.

DIC is an easy commute from the marina, springs, greens, barsha, jbr.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 29, 2007
Good to know.. I believe I have to rely on commuting for a while.
Raakile
Dubai Forum Visitor

Biking Aug 29, 2007
xdude, Sounds like I am in exactly the same position as you. (Media city work for about the same rate, could we be going for the same job;-)

JBR (or anywhere close) sounds very close, is it possible to cycle that route? I don't mind the heat in the evening and I guess winter mornings should be not too bad, but does anyone do it?
boris2007
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Biking Aug 29, 2007
boris2007 wrote:xdude, Sounds like I am in exactly the same position as you. (Media city work for about the same rate, could we be going for the same job;-)

JBR (or anywhere close) sounds very close, is it possible to cycle that route? I don't mind the heat in the evening and I guess winter mornings should be not too bad, but does anyone do it?

It depends how much you value your life!

I don't think there are any cycle lanes and as JBR is a nightmare to get too, still so much construction, roadworks etc, I really don't see how you could cycle safely!
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Biking Aug 29, 2007
[quote="The Major"]

It depends how much you value your life!

I don't think there are any cycle lanes and as JBR is a nightmare to get too, still so much construction, roadworks etc, I really don't see how you could cycle safely![/quote]

:-) Fair enough.
boris2007
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 30, 2007
i wouldnt recommend cyclin, as that's a crapshoot. but its only a 5-9 min drive from JBR to media city.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 04, 2007
Raakile wrote:Good to know.. I believe I have to rely on commuting for a while.

This idea is now discarded :D I just have to adjust myself to fit in.. I'll buy a car.
Raakile
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 04, 2007
There's a good interactive street map here: http://www.dubaitourism.ae/Map/default.asp

I live in the Marina too (work in Deira though sometimes I wished I worked at DMC/DIC cos its soooo close!) I have a 3br, but I know of friends who live here and they got 1br's for 95-110K. Although I think JBR is good value seeing as theres so many of them and you can probably negotiate better. Our lease is up next Jan, thinking of checking out JBR then.

Try also Greens/The Views (other side of SZR) and if you want a villa you can check out the Springs (next to the Greens), they start for a 2br+study from around 135-140k.

Also, lately I've been seeing a lot of Shoreline apartments on the Palm Jumeirah with reasonable costs (1 br for 100k if I remember correctly), so that might be another option.

Don't forget too that you have to pay the whole year's rent in advance - normally you pay it in 1 or 2 cheques. So take that into account in your budgeting....

Car rental, depending on the car starts from around 1500+. I hired a little 1.6L Lancer for a few months, that set me back 1800. 4x4's probably start at around 2.5K??
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum