Cost Of Living In Dubai

Topic locked
Cost of Living in Dubai Aug 25, 2007
Hi,

my employer will send me to Dubai for 2 years (finance sector, relationship management). It will pay me the rent for the apartment and health insurance.
Does anyone have experiences what should be common for an employer to support its employee with in Dubai (car, costs for water, electricity etc)?

I will earn about 16.000 AED a month. So how much would be cost of living like car insurance, internet, cell phone, bars, restaurants etc?

I tried to figure it out in the forum. Actually I fpund some threads from 2005... but I think there would be a change since then.

Alexa

Grupa
Dubai Forum Guest

Cost of Living in Dubai Aug 25, 2007
Hi there,

16,000 AED per month with accomodation provided should be reasonably comfortable (with some saving potential as well).

Typical cost for a family of 4 would be:

1. Accomodation (provided in your case) : AED 5,000-9,000 per month for a 1 bedroom appartment depending upon location.
2. Grocery etc : 300 to 500 per week (on the higher side , assuming one is not including alchohal/beers in grocery :D )
3. Utilities and Basic establishment costs : 1,000 to 1,500 per month.
4 . Education for Kids: you should factor in about 3,000 to 5,000 per month per child depending upon the curriculum and brand of school/institution etc.
4. Coveyance & Outings etc (family kinds and not drink parties at night clubs over weekends :D ) : 300-500 per week.

Trust this gives you the required picture.

Seems working for a good employer :D... enjoy your Dubai tenure !!
ENJOY THE ENIGMA
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Cost of Living in Dubai Aug 26, 2007
ENJOY THE ENIGMA wrote:4 . Education for Kids: you should factor in about 3,000 to 5,000 per month per child depending upon the curriculum and brand of school/institution etc.

Agree with Enigma.
One small correction though, there are plenty of good "international/English" schools starting 700 AED per month.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 26, 2007
So ok that for 4, lucky me I am single and don`t drink alcohol.

Is there anything further I should know? Something like hidden fees for expats that Dubai wants to pay them? What about your experiences with car insurance? And what about road tolls?

Thank you so much
Grupa
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 26, 2007
Single and DO NOT drink? I think that will save you heaps of $$. However if you are a foodie, then that might set you back a bit. Still you will have plenty to splurge on.

Car is ok. You can get 100% financing in this country so that means monthly payment of AED 900-3000+ (depending what car you get). Obviously used car is even cheaper. Yearly insurance around AED 5,000 for 4WD (again depending what car, 4WD and sports car more expensive)

Phone is not that expensive unless you make tonnes of overseas call.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Aug 26, 2007
- Car rent starts 1700 AED pm + petrol about 300 AED pm (in city)
- Make sure to ask your employer when they say accommodation provided means empty or furnished. If empty, add for : furnishing (5000-20000 AED), electricity/water deposit (2000 AED) + monthly bills. Landline phone deposit 200 AED. Internet/cable/sat deposits.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 26, 2007
So how much would be internet cable and sat deposits?

Can give a kind of list what would be onetime expenses and which are every month?
Grupa
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 27, 2007
Depends on your preference (and apartment), do your research at:
- dewa.gov.ae (electricity + water)
- etisalat.ae (landline phone, DSL/cable)
- e-vision.ae (cable TV)

Daily expenses have been given above, I think that covers most.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 27, 2007
dont forget you can also get Du service. so check du.ae for landline/internet/tv
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 27, 2007
I will do thanks so much
Grupa
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 28, 2007
Hi, I have almost a similar question.

I am currently consider a job offered in Dubai UAE.

They offer with a AED 7000 housing allowance plus a 1400 car allowance (or a company provided car)

My idea is to have a approx 700 sq feet apartment with 2 bed rooms, and a TOYOTA Camry (or similar)

Do these allowances enough?

As I heard, I need to pay 12-months rental fee for the apartment at day-one, is that true?

For the car, any suggestion between, hire-monthly, buy a used and buy a brand new? Or simply pick the company car?

Thanks in advance.
mr_yeung
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Aug 29, 2007
where will y ou be living? 84K for a 2 bedroom might be hard, depending on location.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 29, 2007
nuzbim wrote:where will y ou be living? 84K for a 2 bedroom might be hard, depending on location.

Karama has 2-bd places in some of the newer buildings for 75k, with basement parking.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 30, 2007
gtmash wrote:Karama has 2-bd places in some of the newer buildings for 75k, with basement parking.

New building for 75K for 2BR, really? Last month I asked it was 73K (1BR about 75m2) already in my building (not new, but not very old, opposite Burjuman). So 75K for 2BR would be quite cheap, unless it's an old building or small units.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum