Salik & V-Kool

Topic locked
Salik & V-Kool Jul 14, 2007
Does anyone know whether V-Kool will block the Salik signal?
I heard that V-Kool tinting film contains metal. I have this V-Kool clear/transparent on my front windshield.

dubai008
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 14, 2007
I believe VKool makes a big deal out of their film not blocking GPS/phone signals. That would mean it has no metal, and Salik would/should be okay too. Although RTA does say to make a hole in your tint.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 14, 2007
You need to cut the V-cool where the Salik tag goes. V-cool and some of the other special tinting materials rely on a fine coating of silver to help with the reflective process, and the metal interferes with the Salik reader. It's all in the Salik booklet.

Remember that the Salik Gates have cameras too, and if you go through without registering, you're in for fines if the reader does not recognise the tag. The problem of explaining it away when you have already been instructed how to mount the thing, is unlikely to be an acceptable excuse and could take months to sort out.

Sheikh Zayed Road is only the first - there will be more Salik tolled sections soon enough, so you might as well get used to it!
autodrone
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 15, 2007
One of the cars I drive is on the list of 'special instruction vehicles' I've put the tag in the place marked in the instructions off the website and it still isn't reading the tag, i've already launched a case with salik but I doubt i'll get an answer anytime soon.

anyway that's just me venting, while i was on hold waiting to talk to someone from Salik they do mention you can not place the salik tag on any kind of after market tint in their IVR
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 15, 2007
fayz,
how did you know that the tag wasn't read? Is the violation appears on Dubai police website?

one more thing,

Any idea as to who is designing this RFID toll system, i.e. what technology/device maker/etc? Just wondering if the chip in the tag will survive the hot temperature in summer.
dubai008
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 15, 2007
Not sure who the suppliers are but I think it is the same system used in some parts of the Far East so temperature and humidity problems should not occur.

Some of the RTA decisions (like closing the Creek access for boat owners during the day with the new floating bridge) may not have come from the brightest lights on the Christmas Tree, but they have had long enough to sort Salik out and have been planning it since Emirates highway opened, so it should be working properly.

There is little point in trying to find a way of 'outdoing' the system: once all the roadworks on the periphery of Sheikh Zayed road are finished, it should be as smooth as silk. When the other ten sections (or so I have heard) are operational, the only way to get round it will be to car-pool with your work colleagues - not a bad idea in itself.
autodrone
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 15, 2007
Anyone have those year-long RTA parking cards? They bend, melt and burn black in only six months. After it becomes unreadable, I put a message on my glass with the expiry date, so I dont get fined.

Salik tag is different, though it is hard to believe it will last the lifetime of the glass.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 16, 2007
dubai008 wrote:fayz,
how did you know that the tag wasn't read? Is the violation appears on Dubai police website?.

Both on the Salik and Dubai Police sites I have not received any violations, I know the tag wasn't read becaise I look at my transactions and they only show up for one of my cars not the other. I've just checked again but still no charges for the 2nd car, for the first one however they show up right away. It's frustrating because I have a feeling one day I'll get a bunch of fines although I've followed all instructions given and that pisses me off.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Jul 19, 2007
Nope, Salik and V-kool don't work

Got my new car the day Salik started, agency advised it was fine, then after a week I called Salik to check how much is my balance - it was still 50Dh with a week's worth of fines. So off to V-kool I went to vent my frustration - they had to cut out the tinting where the Salik sticks. All good now..Salik also removed the fines for me after explaining my situation!! :lol:
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2007
DeeDee wrote:Nope, Salik and V-kool don't work

Got my new car the day Salik started, agency advised it was fine, then after a week I called Salik to check how much is my balance - it was still 50Dh with a week's worth of fines. So off to V-kool I went to vent my frustration - they had to cut out the tinting where the Salik sticks. All good now..Salik also removed the fines for me after explaining my situation!! :lol:

Wow. Thanks for the update. And for taking the fall.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 19, 2007
DeeDee wrote:Nope, Salik and V-kool don't work

how did you manage to convince the Salik officials?? :?
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 04, 2007
SALIK WORKS THRU MY V-KOOL!!!!!!!!!! yes it worked thru my front windsheild tint when i went thru all 4 toll gates. i did not stick the tag permanently on the windsheild, i used scotch tape instead. worked just fine.
best part is i wont have an ugly orange sticker permanently fixed on my car :D
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 04, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:SALIK WORKS THRU MY V-KOOL!!!!!!!!!! yes it worked thru my front windsheild tint when i went thru all 4 toll gates. i did not stick the tag permanently on the windsheild, i used scotch tape instead. worked just fine.

Bloody awesome! I'll do the same. I've had my unused tag in my wallet for the past one month. Solves my problem of switching cars every other day.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 05, 2007
gtmash wrote:
cheap_Deal wrote:SALIK WORKS THRU MY V-KOOL!!!!!!!!!! yes it worked thru my front windsheild tint when i went thru all 4 toll gates. i did not stick the tag permanently on the windsheild, i used scotch tape instead. worked just fine.

Bloody awesome! I'll do the same. I've had my unused tag in my wallet for the past one month. Solves my problem of switching cars every other day.

But isn't your salik tag not only associated to you but to a specific license plate number?

good idea about the scotch tape though so it isn't permanent, wish i thought of that. Good idea, if you sell the car, windshield gets cracked etc.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 05, 2007
fayz wrote:
gtmash wrote:

But isn't your salik tag not only associated to you but to a specific license plate number?

good idea about the scotch tape though so it isn't permanent, wish i thought of that. Good idea, if you sell the car, windshield gets cracked etc.

I always planned to tape it on. The way I see it, the gate only reads the tag, and the license plate only comes into play when the tag is NOT read and a photo is probably taken.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto