Advice Needed On New Job

Topic locked
Advice needed on new job May 18, 2007
I arrived in Dubai from Melbourne just over a month ago, and am currently in the process of getting my resident visa under my father's sponsorship as he works here. My visa is in the middle of being processed.

I've also just been offered a job at a small company (small being under 8 people) through a friend that runs it. I'm only aiming to be in Dubai until the beginning of next year (Jan 08) before I return to Australia for my postgrad studies - so pretty much it's only going to be a job (paid) for around 7-8 months. Do I still need to get a work permit/labour card or can I just work straight away under my fathers sponsorship? Will I also need to take another health test, even though i'm actually going for a health test for my residence visa tommorow?

Also, I need to give the company my bank details so they can pay me...which means I need to register with a bank - Can I open up an account soon even though my resident visa hasn't been given yet?

Also, the company wants to move to Media City in the upcoming weeks - do they have their own rules about employment/sponsorship there?

Thanks guys.

linahdinah
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 19, 2007
If you're on your fathers visa, you still need a labour card to legally work. The company that will be employing you has to get your father to sign a 'no objection' letter, stating that he has no problems with you working whilst on his sponsorship. They then need to apply for a temporary labour card for you.

Being in the 'freezone' has slightly different regulations, but not sure on that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 19, 2007
also be aware that you may not get non resident status for tax purposes from the Aust government as you will only be here for 9 months. Have a look on the ATO website so you understand the tax implications. Would be horrible to get stuck with a huge tax bill!
admcau
Dubai Forum User

May 19, 2007
admcau wrote:also be aware that you may not get non resident status for tax purposes from the Aust government as you will only be here for 9 months. Have a look on the ATO website so you understand the tax implications. Would be horrible to get stuck with a huge tax bill!

bah! tax! but im not an australian resident in general, nor do i have any australian income....according to the site...i should be alright...however i want to save up money and put it into my australian bank account. gah! i will have a check with my accountant nonetheless - thanks for the tip!
linahdinah
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 19, 2007
if the co. is going to DMC you'll get a DMC card, not a labour card (essentially the same thing)

i'm a permanent resident in Oz and if you have a taxable status there as i do, you'll have to pay taxes as ATO is cracking down on short-term (ie. under 1 yr) overseas non-taxable employment

this is what my accountant told me before i came over in march...not an issue as i will be here for at least 1 year...
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum