Advice Needed

Topic locked
Advice Needed Sep 18, 2005
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about coming to Dubai in the future and wanted to ask some questions. Firstly, I have a senior purchasing role in a large US IT company (I am based in the UK after returning from a 2 year stint in Holland) and wondered what the possibility for getting a job in Dubai looked like - I have around 12 years experience in purchasing / strategic sourcing and have a degree. I would also consider doing something different - maybe working as a lecturer of business in a college if that was possible, or even something different in the business world

My girlfriend has lived in the UAE before and worked as a teacher and should have no difficulty getting another job there - is it easier if we got married ? I figured we could then live together in her accommodation whilst I looked for work and also the visa issue becomes easier i.e I am able to be resident in the country? I do expect to be able to take a fair amount iof savings with me so I will have some 'comfort'

Any advice gratefully received

thanks

paul

pault
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 22, 2005
is it easier if we got married

Yes - but you can get away with cohabiting if you are discreet - though it is illegal. If either of you needs to sponsor the other then marriage is a must.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

thanks Sep 23, 2005
thanks for that - what about the job situation in Dubai for professional witha degree and plenty of experience
pault
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 23, 2005
couple of things concerning job search in dubai:

1) looking for a job in dubai from overseas is largely a futile aim. there are so many well qualified people already in dubai from all over the world who are willing to work that a company would not have to pay to relocate, that in order to be hired from overseas, you need to be pretty highly specialized and really have something different to offer a company

2) somebody with as much experience as yourself is likely not going to have much difficulty finding work there. dubai is growing so quickly that there is a constant demand for almost every profession

3) you said your gf had lived there before. i would suggest that if you have not been to dubai, that you should spend some time there (take a holiday) before you decide to move. the gulf is an awesome place to live, raise a family, etc. but is obviously worlds away from the UK or the USA. it would seem a bit of a waste to move there only to find out that it's not for you.

happy hunting!
dxbonmymind
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum