Asking You Ahamed!!!!!!!!!

Topic locked
Asking you ahamed!!!!!!!!! May 13, 2007
Hey ahamed,i would like to ask you a question since i see you as the most active guy in these forum.the thing is with my career

About me :
Computer engineering Degree holder from india,after commining here 3 years back i found that IT wasnt as much promising as now , so i jumped to 3D Designing field (architectural) and now i am an industry level expert in the profession

and my problem :
the thing is i always wanted job in computer networking /System Administration side as a stepping stone i have done MCSE and now preparing for CCNA .I does some small networking and syetem administration things in my company

The issue:
The issue now is the construction industry in dubai is soaring high and they pay employees good...very good indeed , for me i am getting offers above 10,000 aed PM for working as 3D designer.

i wanna know if i get into the networking field how much can i get as starting and how well i can grow and upto what level?or should i stick with my current profession?whats your opinion about this ,please gimme a good advise i havebeen trying to sort it out since one month but in vain
(i am 27 now)

please help me

thanks in advance

freeman0179
Dubai Forum User

May 14, 2007
Ok since Ahamed is not here, i'll try and fill in and hope he doesn't mind :P

OK, don't take this in the wrong way but its just the way things work here. If you're a filipino or indian, you will get underpaid compared to an American or British.

The going market salary for a Network Engineer right now is anywhere from AED 8000 - AED 20000/month

This all depends on what you bring to the table. Your skills, your troubleshooting techniques, your networking style, years of experience and of course, your degree and passport.

The one thing I learnt here is not to take crap from anyone. Don't be a YES SIR NO SIR Man.. like most indians that i've seen. I'm an Indian American and it really makes me feel bad the way indians and filipinos are treated here in a work environment.

The offer you have for AED 10,000/month as a Designer ain't bad at all. I'd say stick it there for a bit

At your yearly review, always ask what are your chances of growth and and be positive. If they ask you what you would like to do, tell them you'd love to work as a designer but also get involved with networking. (if thats what ur interested in)

If you need help in looking for a job, lemme know and i'll point you over to some people I know
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

May 14, 2007
Soupie, you stole my words

What he said is the truth, its all what you have as your backbone, but then your nationality also matters here, because most of the camel riders here donot recognize the talent.

gosh dude, 10k is a neat pay to survive lavishly in dubai. what else do you need? but if networking is your personal flavour & you are getting a good opportunity take it.

my advice, stick to the 10k you are getting, whilst opting for the right chance & the rite time.

a network admin or, perhaps so called IT Managers gets anywhere from 6k+ - 20000k + other benefits

as soupie said, it depends on what you got along with you, years of experience and so on. . .

MCSE is intermediate level. CCNA the same, CCNP is advanced, CCIE is expert level, which has higher advantage. if you have all those 3-4 certifications, your starting pay should start from 13k - 36 k . but the dissatisfacto part is, you need to keep update your certification by giving occacional exams.

soupie is indian-american as he is said, you state that you are an indian too, i am an indian too, believe me bro, they make us work like a dog.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

May 14, 2007
thanku Soupie and ahamed, those words were indeed inspiring and enlighting, i asked many people regarding this ,the words you gave are more professional , the so called camel riders have eaten up a good part of my career by just squeezing me to the current vacancy without seeing my certificates and they keeps on squeezing.....like soupie said i have to stick to my decision ,no more 'yes sir' or 'no sir'(i rarely do that anyway)

thankyou again Soupie and ahamed

---------------------------------------------------
freeman0179
Dubai Forum User

May 14, 2007
ahamed wrote:Soupie, you stole my words

What he said is the truth, its all what you have as your backbone, but then your nationality also matters here, because most of the camel riders here donot recognize the talent.

gosh dude, 10k is a neat pay to survive lavishly in dubai. what else do you need? but if networking is your personal flavour & you are getting a good opportunity take it.

my advice, stick to the 10k you are getting, whilst opting for the right chance & the rite time.

a network admin or, perhaps so called IT Managers gets anywhere from 6k+ - 20000k + other benefits

as soupie said, it depends on what you got along with you, years of experience and so on. . .

MCSE is intermediate level. CCNA the same, CCNP is advanced, CCIE is expert level, which has higher advantage. if you have all those 3-4 certifications, your starting pay should start from 13k - 36 k . but the dissatisfacto part is, you need to keep update your certification by giving occacional exams.

soupie is indian-american as he is said, you state that you are an indian too, i am an indian too, believe me bro, they make us work like a dog.

I don't work like a dog :P I work 8 hours a day , 5 days a week and no more. My boss asked me to stay back after work once, I asked him if I'd get paid for it since overtime is not in my contract, he said no, so I told him that until he pays me overtime, 8 hrs is all he gets regardless of how desperate he is. Like I said, I don't take crap from anyone and I mean no one :)
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

May 15, 2007

-- snip --

-- snip ---

Hi, Does the 10K includes housing rent or just purely base salary ? Rgds.
dubaiforumuser
Dubai Forums Member

May 15, 2007
dubaiforumuser wrote:

-- snip --

-- snip ---

Hi, Does the 10K includes housing rent or just purely base salary ? Rgds.

no it includes everything , and well its an european based company other arab companies might offer 6K to 7k for the same

good soupie thats the way it has to be done, every employee should change his attitude towards the employer in this way, then only the so called boses will take time to recognise our real skills and profession/qualifications ...
NB: showy and unqualified workers please ignore this
freeman0179
Dubai Forum User

May 15, 2007
I just read the other day in the news paper a job vacany for an IT administrator for 20,000 AED

ofcourse u need ccnp....and experience in handling IT departments.

I think the competition has come high...so u need to stand out from the rest.,
guest999

May 15, 2007
Not_Sure wrote:I just read the other day in the news paper a job vacany for an IT administrator for 20,000 AED

ofcourse u need ccnp....and experience in handling IT departments.

I think the competition has come high...so u need to stand out from the rest.,

my point exactly. You need to be different from the rest. You need to bring more than what the bare requirements are, you need to be a people person and have a sense of humor.

If you're gonna be just an IT guy who comes in to work, does his job and goes away, with minimal interaction, ur not gonna get very far.

All IT folks must have a wide range of skills. So for example, if you're a CCNP, and thats your job, but you're also an MCSE and can do Systems Administration or more..

The more skills you have, the better chances you have of getting a job and growing. A company will see that and make use of those skills. But be careful they don't just USE u. YOu have to be compensated for your time, after all you have a life as well. :)
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

May 16, 2007
I agree with NotSure and NoSoup, there should be something to stand out from the crowd. No offence but I've seen so many SysAdmin with all those certifications (yeah, mostly from South Asian). Too many I think. I'd say it'll be difficult to compete and get better cash, unless you have other specific skills or experience to show up and negotiate.

I think 3D modelling is one of good paths (if you like it), especially with the experience and specialization like yours. I'd say keep this thing at the moment, improve the skills and get more experience.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 17, 2007
xty wrote:I agree with NotSure and NoSoup, there should be something to stand out from the crowd. No offence but I've seen so many SysAdmin with all those certifications (yeah, mostly from South Asian). Too many I think. I'd say it'll be difficult to compete and get better cash, unless you have other specific skills or experience to show up and negotiate.

I think 3D modelling is one of good paths (if you like it), especially with the experience and specialization like yours. I'd say keep this thing at the moment, improve the skills and get more experience.

the problem with the profession i am doing now(3d visualization) is it doesnt need any qualification, all it needs is talent , hard work and ofcourse have to be good in 3dmax and autocad(the software used widely here)so u know the computer engg degree i have is not even going to get paper value,thats an other reason i am planning to shift my career and regarding the growth of 3D artist over here is merge cos most of the big jobs here are outsourced to india,china or singapore so i will be sitting in front of computer doing the same job even after 10 years,
nb: 3D visualizers if u dont agree with this u can shout back to me!!!!! :wink:

-------------------------------
freeman0179
Dubai Forum User

May 17, 2007
good morning to all
freeman0179
Dubai Forum User

May 18, 2007
freeman0179 wrote:so u know the computer engg degree i have is not even going to get paper value,thats an other reason i am planning to shift my career

You want to shift to computer jobs because you like it or just because you want to utilize your computer degree? :D

freeman0179 wrote:so i will be sitting in front of computer doing the same job even after 10 years,

SysAdmin job is the same... day to day to monitor computers and network, installing windows and antivirus for users, take complaints from users... it's boring :P
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 20, 2007
xty wrote:[quote=SysAdmin job is the same... day to day to monitor computers and network, installing windows and antivirus for users, take complaints from users... it's boring :P

dear XTY,i belive that the preliminary stage of a sysadmin is this kind of hectic job that might carry over for 2-3 years untill u get a better certifications and all that might lead you to positions like senior System adimin/network engineer or an IT manger ofcourse, The thing i am doing now has no future here like IT, do u agree with me?
freeman0179
Dubai Forum User

May 20, 2007
freeman0179 wrote:dear XTY,i believe that the preliminary stage of a sysadmin is this kind of hectic job that might carry over for 2-3 years untill u get a better certifications and all that might lead you to positions like senior System admin/network engineer or an IT manger ofcourse, The thing i am doing now has no future here like IT, do u agree with me?

I have many clients in the region and even the top IT Managers (with background in networking) also still deal with day-to-day job of monitoring computers and network.

IMO there are two kinds of workplace/path of IT jobs: consulting and end-user.

For 95% of my 14 years in IT, I've always been in consulting. I like challenges, learning new skills, and getting global experiences. Once I joined an end-user (one of hypermarkets in Dubai), I resigned in the second year and moved back to the consulting path. It was boring and I hated to deal with users' complaints for the same problems everyday.

So if one like challenges, keen to study various skills and getting more experience, go have a job in IT consultant (software or hardware). If one satisfies enough for 8-to-5 jobs, then go for end-user path (for whatever industries such as banking, retail, engineering, etc).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 20, 2007
xty wrote:
freeman0179 wrote:dear XTY,i believe that the preliminary stage of a sysadmin is this kind of hectic job that might carry over for 2-3 years untill u get a better certifications and all that might lead you to positions like senior System admin/network engineer or an IT manger ofcourse, The thing i am doing now has no future here like IT, do u agree with me?

I have many clients in the region and even the top IT Managers (with background in networking) also still deal with day-to-day job of monitoring computers and network.

IMO there are two kinds of workplace/path of IT jobs: consulting and end-user.

For 95% of my 14 years in IT, I've always been in consulting. I like challenges, learning new skills, and getting global experiences. Once I joined an end-user (one of hypermarkets in Dubai), I resigned in the second year and moved back to the consulting path. It was boring and I hated to deal with users' complaints for the same problems everyday.

So if one like challenges, keen to study various skills and getting more experience, go have a job in IT consultant (software or hardware). If one satisfies enough for 8-to-5 jobs, then go for end-user path (for whatever industries such as banking, retail, engineering, etc).

yes XTY thats the kind of job i am looking for ,IT CONSULTANT, networking side ,but since i dont have any experience behind me in this field ,i have to start doing the donkey work for first 2 3 years, then after taking some cerifications like CCNP and CCIE, i could move to network consulting field, such employees are paid top(20,000 to 35,000 PM) and respected, i think u might be experincing such an atmosphere now
freeman0179
Dubai Forum User

May 26, 2007
yep, there is a big market for IT Consulting. Big money out there especially on CRM & ERP Solutions.

But even still, anything an IT Worker does ( like fixing computers ) goes really un-noticed.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk