Men In Pink? Isnt It Awkward

Topic locked
Men in Pink? Isnt it Awkward Apr 14, 2007
.. i waz at the mall that day..and id turn i see a guy with a PINK shirt.. PINK cap.. PINK sunglasses.. PINK KANDOOOORAH?! who is goin on with the guyz ! i mean.. its not like dark pink or anything.. its babbyyyy pink isnt it like... gurly? or is it just me? it really annoys me.. ive talked about it once n a guy told me tht its ok if the guy iz sure about his sexuality.. n tht a color wont make him any less of a man..

abdulnafees
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Men in Pink? Isnt it Awkward Apr 14, 2007
abdulnafees wrote:.. i waz at the mall that day..and id turn i see a guy with a PINK shirt.. PINK cap.. PINK sunglasses.. PINK KANDOOOORAH?! who is goin on with the guyz ! i mean.. its not like dark pink or anything.. its babbyyyy pink isnt it like... gurly? or is it just me? it really annoys me.. ive talked about it once n a guy told me tht its ok if the guy iz sure about his sexuality.. n tht a color wont make him any less of a man..

The colour pink is usually associated with girl-like tastes and can also be considered as a colour symbol of femininity. Since this is common perception... being a guy, I'd avoid wearing the colour pink for two reasons.

1.) The colour doesn't appeal to my interests or general likings and 2.) I'd prefer to refrain from wearing anything that would be considered a symbol of femininity by the masses.

Having said this, your dress code and overall behavior can be used to assess and determine a what type of person you are. Though wearing pink as a guy doesn't necessarily indicate the idea of you being gay as fact, but it can in all probability be perceived that way.

It all depends on what you're wearing it for. Be it personal preference, or a symbolic means to express one's self... just know I'm not involved in it.
KageofSoul
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 14, 2007
i must say that the idea of a guy wearing pink was at least strange to me
until i saw one with a pink shirt and i totaly loved it.
depends very much on the attitude....metrosexuals have no problem with wearing pink :P
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

abdulnafees wrote:.. i waz at the mall that day..and id turn i see a guy with a PINK shirt.. PINK cap.. PINK sunglasses.. PINK KANDOOOORAH?! who is goin on with the guyz ! i mean.. its not like dark pink or anything.. its babbyyyy pink isnt it like... gurly? or is it just me? it really annoys me.. ive talked about it once n a guy told me tht its ok if the guy iz sure about his sexuality.. n tht a color wont make him any less of a man..

That is a bit too much pink :lol: . Pink is known to be a color for females, but i would say thats a thing from the past. these days it dosent realy mater. Im actually quite happy wearing pink shirts. but the not all guys can look good in pink 8)
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

kay1730 wrote:

That is a bit too much pink :lol: . Pink is known to be a color for females, but i would say thats a thing from the past. these days it dosent realy mater. Im actually quite happy wearing pink shirts. but the not all guys can look good in pink 8)

true :wink:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 14, 2007
I saw only Arab (Lebanese?) guys wear pink t-shirts. Almost all of them were tight t-shirts. Some of them were skinny guys. I doubt they were gay, but they've been reading the wrong magazines.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 14, 2007
gtmash wrote:I saw only Arab (Lebanese?) guys wear pink t-shirts. Almost all of them were tight t-shirts. Some of them were skinny guys. I doubt they were gay, but they've been reading the wrong magazines.

Yeah... damn right. A lot of people I see in the UAE follow the oddest fashions. A lot of the guys dress like girls and the girls dress like Emos... Makes me wonder if they even know what all these dress codes signify.

So yeah... they've got to be reading the wrong magazines or something.
KageofSoul
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 14, 2007
Pink... it's an interesting thing actually.

All colours represent something and it's representative can and will be associated with it on sight of being one with the phenomena.

Red is associated with blood, danger and heat for obvious reasons.

Yellow is associated with the sun and flowers.

Orange is associated with warmth.

Green is nature.

And so forth.

Pink is associated with flowers, young female clothing and femininity in general.

It isn't a thing of the past as it is still seen in that respect and there is nothing at fault with doing so.

This being said, we must know that some of these colours are sometimes associated with other things, especially in variations of light and darkness of these colours.

It is our natural human inclination to assess these colours in this way. Let us not be fooled by people who wish to sail against the tide of life in a childlike attention seeking demeanor and reject the colour codes of life in wearing the most grotesque combinations of clothes and colour styles.

I'm not all saying men that wear pink are in the same category, I'm simply saying some are.
Purple Complex
Dubai Forums Talker

KageofSoul wrote:

The colour pink is usually associated with girl-like tastes and can also be considered as a colour symbol of femininity. Since this is common perception... being a guy, I'd avoid wearing the colour pink for two reasons.

1.) The colour doesn't appeal to my interests or general likings and 2.) I'd prefer to refrain from wearing anything that would be considered a symbol of femininity by the masses.

Having said this, your dress code and overall behavior can be used to assess and determine a what type of person you are. Though wearing pink as a guy doesn't necessarily indicate the idea of you being gay as fact, but it can in all probability be perceived that way.

It all depends on what you're wearing it for. Be it personal preference, or a symbolic means to express one's self... just know I'm not involved in it.

What bull.sh.it. why u liein for just admit it pink dont suit you. as i said pink does not suit all guys :lol:
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

kay1730 wrote:
KageofSoul wrote:

What bull.sh.it. why u liein for just admit it pink dont suit you. as i said pink does not suit all guys :lol:

I guess my words "1.) The colour doesn't appeal to my interests or general likings " were too much for you to understand.

Ah well... not all of us had a good schooling. So I can sympathize with you.
KageofSoul
Dubai Forums Talker

KageofSoul wrote:
kay1730 wrote:
KageofSoul wrote:

I guess my words "1.) The colour doesn't appeal to my interests or general likings " were too much for you to understand.

LOL, why dont you read all of my post. I said your lieing so that means i dont belive you, so if i dont belive you it doesnt matter what you say. i still say your lieing. any you call me undereducated. i really do hope you gain your sences
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

kay1730 wrote:
KageofSoul wrote:
kay1730 wrote:
KageofSoul wrote:

LOL, why dont you read all of my post. I said your lieing so that means i dont belive you, so if i dont belive you it doesnt matter what you say. i still say your lieing. any you call me undereducated. i really do hope you gain your sences

Oh... alright then. Just another pointless rebuttal.
KageofSoul
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2007
Theonly thing in pink I'm comfortable wearing is shirt, even then I call it 'salmon'!.. couldn't wear anything else pink though esp a t-shirt.. other than socks i guess..
RaideN
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 15, 2007
According to the website "Gender Specific Colors," it would seem that
assigning color to gender is mostly a 20th century trait. It would
also seem that at one time, the color associations were reversed when
color first came into use as a gender identifier.

In fact, this reversal of what we consider "normal" was considered
conventional, even in the early 20th century.

"At one point pink was considered more of a boy's color, (as a
watered-down red, which is a fierce color) and blue was more for
girls. The associate of pink with bold, dramatic red clearly affected
its use for boys. An American newspaper in 1914 advised mothers, "If
you like the color note on the little one's garments, use pink for the
boy and blue for the girl, if you are a follower of convention." [The
Sunday Sentinal, March 29, 1914.]

"There has been a great diversity of opinion on the subject, but the
generally accepted rule is pink for the boy and blue for the girl. The
reason is that pink being a more decided and stronger color is more
suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty,
is prettier for the girl." [Ladies Home Journal, June, 1918]
http://histclo.hispeed.com/gender/color.html - "Gender Specific
Colors"

According to Jo B. Paoletti and Carol Kregloh, "The Children's
Department," in Claudia Brush Kidwell and Valerie Steele, ed., Men and
Women: Dressing the Part, (Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989). -
In the United States: "The current pink for girls and blue for boys
wasn't uniform until the 1950's.

It would also seem that Nazi Germany had something to do with the
association of pink with femininity:

"Catholic traditions in Germany and neighboring countries reverse the
current color coding, because of the strong association of blue with
the Virgin Mary...the NAZIs in their concentration camps use a pink
triangle to identify homosexuals. (The yellow star of David is the
best known symbol, used of course to identify Jews. The German system
was quite complicated, using various symbols an colors to identify
criminals, political prisinors, an a whole range of other groups). The
NAZI's choice of pink suggests that it by the 1930s was a color that
in Germany had become associate with girls." - "Gender Specific
Colors"

Here is another site backing the same color history.

"The preferred color to dress young boys in was pink! Blue was
reserved for girls as it was considered the paler, more dainty of the
two colors, and pink was thought to be the stronger (akin to red). It
was not until WWII that the colors were reversed and pink was used for
girls and blue for boys..." - Quote from Dress Maker Magazine
http://www.dressmaker.com/ezine0200.shtml

"Jo B. Paoletti concludes that the effect of color-coded gender
differences (pink for girls, blue for boys) existed oppositely
initially..." - Quote from book review "The Material Culture of
Gender, the Gender of Material Culture" - Winterthur, Del.: Henry
Francis du Pont Winterthur Museum, 1997 - From the Journal of American
History - Please note that this is a cached page as the current page
is different:
http://tinyurl.com/iy31

While there are also myths and legends supporting both or either color
for gender identification, those resources dealing with straight
history date the identification of pink with femininity to the period
of World War II or later.

From...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Men in Pink? Isnt it Awkward Apr 15, 2007

uhmmm.. u mean wearing like this???

i think nothing is wrong about it, if he can carry it so well, why not?... :D
gracy
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 15, 2007
~~~Double Post~~~ oops >.<
KageofSoul
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2007
bushra21 wrote:According to the website "Gender Specific Colors," it would seem that
assigning color to gender is mostly a 20th century trait. It would
also seem that at one time, the color associations were reversed when
color first came into use as a gender identifier.

In fact, this reversal of what we consider "normal" was considered
conventional, even in the early 20th century.

"At one point pink was considered more of a boy's color, (as a
watered-down red, which is a fierce color) and blue was more for
girls. The associate of pink with bold, dramatic red clearly affected
its use for boys. An American newspaper in 1914 advised mothers, "If
you like the color note on the little one's garments, use pink for the
boy and blue for the girl, if you are a follower of convention." [The
Sunday Sentinal, March 29, 1914.]

"There has been a great diversity of opinion on the subject, but the
generally accepted rule is pink for the boy and blue for the girl. The
reason is that pink being a more decided and stronger color is more
suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty,
is prettier for the girl." [Ladies Home Journal, June, 1918]
http://histclo.hispeed.com/gender/color.html - "Gender Specific
Colors"

According to Jo B. Paoletti and Carol Kregloh, "The Children's
Department," in Claudia Brush Kidwell and Valerie Steele, ed., Men and
Women: Dressing the Part, (Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989). -
In the United States: "The current pink for girls and blue for boys
wasn't uniform until the 1950's.

It would also seem that Nazi Germany had something to do with the
association of pink with femininity:

"Catholic traditions in Germany and neighboring countries reverse the
current color coding, because of the strong association of blue with
the Virgin Mary...the NAZIs in their concentration camps use a pink
triangle to identify homosexuals. (The yellow star of David is the
best known symbol, used of course to identify Jews. The German system
was quite complicated, using various symbols an colors to identify
criminals, political prisinors, an a whole range of other groups). The
NAZI's choice of pink suggests that it by the 1930s was a color that
in Germany had become associate with girls." - "Gender Specific
Colors"

Here is another site backing the same color history.

"The preferred color to dress young boys in was pink! Blue was
reserved for girls as it was considered the paler, more dainty of the
two colors, and pink was thought to be the stronger (akin to red). It
was not until WWII that the colors were reversed and pink was used for
girls and blue for boys..." - Quote from Dress Maker Magazine
http://www.dressmaker.com/ezine0200.shtml

"Jo B. Paoletti concludes that the effect of color-coded gender
differences (pink for girls, blue for boys) existed oppositely
initially..." - Quote from book review "The Material Culture of
Gender, the Gender of Material Culture" - Winterthur, Del.: Henry
Francis du Pont Winterthur Museum, 1997 - From the Journal of American
History - Please note that this is a cached page as the current page
is different:
http://tinyurl.com/iy31

While there are also myths and legends supporting both or either color
for gender identification, those resources dealing with straight
history date the identification of pink with femininity to the period
of World War II or later.

From...

Yeah... well that's just the human mind for ya. We associate various specifics to a particular idea or factor, and we always will. It's a mental categorization imposed by environmental and social influences.

Not every country and culture is going to see these things the same way though. Just how some places people believe big/fat people as attractive and slim as unattractive. And other places visa-versa.

It's all perspective... there's no correct perspective in these issues. The most we can do is flow through the tide of your society so not to seem odd or stand out like a sore thumb. Though if you really want to go against the tide or perceived colour code of your society... it's your own choice. As I said, there's no correct perspective here ^_^
KageofSoul
Dubai Forums Talker

I want to buy Hammer (after I get my driving lisence....) and I want it to be PINK and only PINK. Are there any ways to buy the one of this colour. So far I have not seen any pink cars :(
P.S. I am a girl ;)
Smart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Smart wrote:

I want to buy Hammer (after I get my driving lisence....) and I want it to be PINK and only PINK. Are there any ways to buy the one of this colour. So far I have not seen any pink cars :(
P.S. I am a girl ;)

Yea ur right, they dont usually come in pink. i belive you can get one custom made, check out the hummer website or the local dealer, if there is one in AD. Or you could buy a diffrent color and get it spray painted in pink.
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2007
Kay man ur the master of dechipering :) i was wondering why does she need an hammer and how the hell is she gonna drive it :)
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 15, 2007
Jeevan wrote:Kay man ur the master of dechipering :) i was wondering why does she need an hammer and how the hell is she gonna drive it :)

LOL, it did take quite long to figure out tho :)
Thinking about the HAMMER now, have you ever seen a pink one :)
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2007
Who spoke abt drivin it.. smart wanted to buy a hammer after she gets her license.. Pink hammer would be really fantastic.. pink polyvinyl coated hammers may become the work statment of powerful women.. who knows..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 15, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:Who spoke abt drivin it.. smart wanted to buy a hammer after she gets her license.. Pink hammer would be really fantastic.. pink polyvinyl coated hammers may become the work statment of powerful women.. who knows..

Yea tru, who knows...... imagine the pink hammers bieng a world wide success and then someone like gucci, armani etc invents a designer one :wink:
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

Smart wrote:I want to buy Hammer (after I get my driving lisence....) and I want it to be PINK and only PINK. Are there any ways to buy the one of this colour. So far I have not seen any pink cars :(
P.S. I am a girl ;)

You had me confused for a moment there, but after reading P.S. I'm a girl it all made sense.
Purple Complex
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2007
While driving home to work, a strong light stuck me in my front mirror… I saw a man on his bike wearing a pink shirt - - I was mesmerized and felt robbed coz he took my heart as he drove away

It’s a given knowledge that men are sexy on bike but what makes him more appealing to me was that he was wearing pink!
panaghoy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 15, 2007
panaghoy wrote:While driving home to work, a strong light stuck me in my front mirror… I saw a man on his bike wearing a pink shirt - - I was mesmerized and felt robbed coz he took my heart as he drove away

It’s a given knowledge that men are sexy on bike but what makes him more appealing to me was that he was wearing pink!

Sorry, I'm driven by my piqued curiosity to say this, but... You are a girl, right? If so, I had no idea men in pink could be seen as appealling. I should probably wear my pink (actually light red) shirt more often lol, as for the latter statement unfortunately I'm not a bike person.
Purple Complex
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2007
As they said, not all guys can look good in pink.. and if I see one who looks gorgeous in pink then that would be plus 100 points - - - I wouldn’t give him a second look if he's wearing another color.
panaghoy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

kay1730 wrote:
Smart wrote:

P.S. I am a girl ;)

Yea ur right, they dont usually come in pink. i belive you can get one custom made, check out the hummer website or the local dealer, if there is one in AD. Or you could buy a diffrent color and get it spray painted in pink.

Custom made will come in cost of 2 Hammers :( Spray painted is a cool idea!!!
Smart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Smart wrote:
kay1730 wrote:
Smart wrote:

P.S. I am a girl ;)

Custom made will come in cost of 2 Hammers :( Spray painted is a cool idea!!!

Yea it most likely would. good luck with the spray painting. im just trying to imagine a pink hummer :)
one of my friends, had a pink honda crx. it used to look quite unique.
She is a girl :)
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

Purple Complex wrote:
Smart wrote:I want to buy Hammer (after I get my driving lisence....) and I want it to be PINK and only PINK. Are there any ways to buy the one of this colour. So far I have not seen any pink cars :(
P.S. I am a girl ;)

You had me confused for a moment there, but after reading P.S. I'm a girl it all made sense.

Why not? I like pink colour and I like Hammer. Why not to combine them together? I guess it will be pretty cool. Though, Hammer has to be 1st, I might agree on 2nd one, but not 3rd, for sure.
I just wondering how it will look from the side. It might be a bit wierd to come to work meeting driving this kind of car :? Already see my boss eyes .....
Smart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat