Moving In A Week - 3 Questions...

Topic locked
Moving in a week - 3 questions... Sep 17, 2005
Hi there,

Well, I'm finally taking the plunge and flying to Dubai to try my luck at finding work in my field. The interviews are set up and I'm packing now which brings me to my first question.

1) What do the electrical sockets/plugs look like. I have some small appliances from when I was living in Egypt with two small round prongs. Is it the same in the UAE?

2)I'll likely need a car and have gotten my international driver's permit to be able to expedite the process but where can I find the cheapest option for getting one? What are the least expensive rental options?

3)I want to take a place very short term so that I have time to look around and find what's best for me. Can you find places for just a month or two that aren't priced just for rich execs?

Much thanks,
Jennifer

SouqExplorer
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 17, 2005
1) No the plugs are not like in Egypt, like everything else. But wait! They are goinng to build pyramids in Dubai as well. You'll find an adapter in any supermarket.

2) 30USD per day may be enough for extensive taxi

3) no input here
RobertS
Dubai Forum User

Re: Moving in a week - 3 questions... Sep 17, 2005
SouqExplorer wrote:Hi there,

Well, I'm finally taking the plunge and flying to Dubai to try my luck at finding work in my field. The interviews are set up and I'm packing now which brings me to my first question.

1) What do the electrical sockets/plugs look like. I have some small appliances from when I was living in Egypt with two small round prongs. Is it the same in the UAE?

2)I'll likely need a car and have gotten my international driver's permit to be able to expedite the process but where can I find the cheapest option for getting one? What are the least expensive rental options?

3)I want to take a place very short term so that I have time to look around and find what's best for me. Can you find places for just a month or two that aren't priced just for rich execs?

Much thanks,
Jennifer

1) They are not like in Egypt. But adaptors are readily available since the UAE is nothing but expats :)

2) If you have a Canadian drivers liscence you don't need an international one to rent a car if on a tourist visa. The Canadian one will do... Carfare (rental company) is cheap...

3) They exist. Go look in Bur Dubai or close by City Center...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 18, 2005
What do the plugs look like? Can you describe them?
SouqExplorer
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 18, 2005
Three holes rectangular in shape.

|
_ _

Sorta like that....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 18, 2005
Apparently they are the same as the UK and I know definitely the same as Singapore. You can buy adaptors in every supermarket which is convenient like Union Coop and Choithrams-they also have adaptors for telephone plugs. Expedite....hmmm...are you good at queuing? An essential prerequisite here! I remember we looked into short term ie serviced apt and it was costly although if you do a search you should be able to find some info. Check out the classified to give you an idea of rental but it depends if you want "House and Garden" magazine new and the envy of your friends at home or something older that has the amount of space you want.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 18, 2005
I meant to tell you will have to get a UAE driver's permit/licence and depending on where you come from ie if you have a valid licence from a list of countries it is just a matter of paying the fee and getting a UAE one. I know Diamond Lease do rentals- www.diamondlease.com carlease@emirates.net.ae -quite a few offices around so the Sheikh Zayed Road Office no is 04-3394500. Your company may even have their own company they deal with and hence have a discounted rate. Taxis are cheap though.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum