Advice!!

Topic locked
Advice!! Mar 21, 2007
I dont know if this is the rigth board, but I take my chances... I need an advice,and the other boards are so quite.... Here is the story:

I had a second interview for a company and they decided to hire me on the spot, the main guy said: ok, we will give you a job offer and your salary will be XX, he left in a hurry but I was expecting to tell me that there will be allowances, so we left and I asked the guy that first interviewed me that if I would get a housing allowance, he said no, the company does not do it, its included on your salary. I told him that I was expecting a housing allowance on top of the salary and he said that I should have mentioned during the interview and that the main guy would have given it to me. They are a big German MNC, and I was expecting them to offer me salary + allowances (I am an Engineer), I did not ask for much salary either, actually it is low without any allowance. I knew I made a big mistake, so the same day I sent an email to the guy asking him that I really needed housing allowance, then he called me back saying he does not think there is nothing that can be done, and the salary would be split on the offer as 60% base and 40% accomodation, and the main guy may not like that. I told him that in that case the job offer is very low especially the base salary, and before deciding to join I would have to see the offer (that they havent sent me yet) to see if the conditions are OK, and that I am also waiting to hear from other companies next week (There are 2 more companies that may give me an offer and they will give me an answer next week)...Also someone told me I was the only candidate they interviewed, they screened out all the other applicants...Any advice on how to deal with this situation??

Also, how do you answer when they ask about salary, you say the number + benefits and allowances?? or a final package figure???.

thanks...

indi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2007
try sucking up to the white man. works wonders.
errtime
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2007
The thing about offers is you don't have to accept them.
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2007
errtime wrote:try sucking up to the white man. works wonders.

:lol:
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 21, 2007
The will have to split it as by law they have to provide you with housing and transportation. It is simple match and the employer typically makes the allowance high as the gratuity is based on your base salary not the total figure.

Simple really. You say XXXXXX (lots of x's) "all inclusive" which includes XXX for salary XX for ocomodation ans X for tranportation. Every employer wants to hire new employees at the lowest salary they can get. Nothing new. Note if you accept you will be stuck with that salary for at least a year (visa problems, etc.).

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 21, 2007
Ask for more simply because COSTA and STARBUCKS prices have increased.

And one chai no is for 75 fils not 50 fil sanymore!

:P
guest999

Mar 21, 2007
Not_Sure wrote:Ask for more simply because COSTA and STARBUCKS prices have increased.

And one chai no is for 75 fils not 50 fil sanymore!

:P

If you search hard enough in Sharjah, you will find 50 fil chai!

I think companies usually go for 3-year visas, ain'nit?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat