Cost Of Living Sydney Vs Dubai

Topic locked
Cost of Living Sydney vs Dubai Feb 12, 2007
Hi,

i know there are a few threads that deal with this kind of issue but I am still not quite clear!

Area there any Aussies who can give me a clear idea of differences in cost of living between Sydney and Dubai. What kind of $$UAE would I need to earn to live a lifestyle comparable to good fairly cosmopolitan inner city Sydney lifestyle. We want to be able to eat out a few times a week, enjoy some weekends away and holidays abroad as well as save a tad. I don't need to live in a palace, just a comfortable, modern 2 bedroom in a good area.

I would really appreciate any comments/advice from someone who has lived in both Sydney and Dubai.

Thank you!!!

admcau
Dubai Forum User

Feb 12, 2007
Rent is about the same - perhaps slightly more.
Food is cheaper, about 15 to 20%.
Alcohol is priced the same.
Petrol is heaps cheaper.
Cigarettes are about $2.50 a pack.

I would imagine you could get by on 15k AED a month if you were both earning around this much, and this is with the intention to save.

Otherwise your Sydney lifestyle might take a hit.

I dunno... ymmv, but it depends on what you're into.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 12, 2007
Thanks Ian,

So about 30k a month (including accommodation health etc?) is a good level of income for a couple to live well and still save? We want to be able to have fun and explore some of the surrounding areas, weekends away every couple of months and maybe 1 good holiday a year. We are not really party people, more foodies and we like to travel. I also don't mind a little shopping from time to time! I am making myself sound really shallow. I am of course interested to explore a new city and new culture also! We love Australia but are looking for a change (but not a shock!)

Sorry to hassle but also... what would be a good neighbourhood for a couple? Good proximity to city, good restaurants, parks and not too far from water?
admcau
Dubai Forum User

Feb 12, 2007
Hey a good area is not relevant as it depends on where you both will be working.

Anywhere but Sharjah, and Al Qusais
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 12, 2007
thanks Scarlett.

I know some city's have definite "good" areas and "dodgy" ones. i want to research rents in areas we may realistically live in.

Appreciate your help
admcau
Dubai Forum User

Feb 12, 2007
Seriously it's like parramatta - there are some nice and dogy accom in all areas. if your girlfireind works in sydney and you work way out west or whatever direction parramatta is then it is easier for you to find a nice place in the middle. Because traffic is bad all round but heading towards Media city in the mornming is the worst.

Most central spot for everywhere is Jumeirah but it is mostly shraed villas.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 12, 2007
Thanks again Scarlet

Is Dubai a horrific shock after living in Sydney? I do want a change but would really hate to compromise on
- feeling safe (although Sydney is questionable at times) note I am 30YO female
- great food both dining out and the great fresh produce in Oz
- the fantastic outdoors lifestyle

On the other hand I am fascinated by the Arab culture and have heard that Dubai is very western and commercial and may not give much of an Arab experience. I know I sound very picky but its a big decision and I want to be thorough.

Also I am wondering how expensive is travel to Europe from Dubai. Part of the appeal of Dubai as a base is the closer proximity to Europe.

Thanks again
admcau
Dubai Forum User

Feb 12, 2007
admcau wrote:Thanks again Scarlet

Is Dubai a horrific shock after living in Sydney? I do want a change but would really hate to compromise on
- feeling safe (although Sydney is questionable at times) note I am 30YO female
I feel Safer in Dubai than I did in Australia - [color=red]also a 30yo F but from the Gold Coast[/color]
- great food both dining out and the great fresh produce in Oz
OMG the restaurants here are fantastic - you will have to watch your weight!
- the fantastic outdoors lifestyle
Except for summer 4-5 months - you can be outdoors all the time and there is more sunshin ethan sydney

On the other hand I am fascinated by the Arab culture and have heard that Dubai is very western and commercial and may not give much of an Arab experience. I know I sound very picky but its a big decision and I want to be thorough.
You get local Arabs and dont forget the arabs from surrounding countries

Also I am wondering how expensive is travel to Europe from Dubai. Part of the appeal of Dubai as a base is the closer proximity to Europe.

Can fly to europe for like 400 A$ each way

Thanks again
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 13, 2007
If it is arab culture that you are interested in, why don't you just go for a drive to Lakemba. :)
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 20, 2007
Im originally from Sydney, and have been in Dubai a month and loving it.
To be honest, I feel much safer here, you don't generally see or hear about a lot of crime.

The only real shock is not so much the traffic, just the erratic driving. But you get used to it, and as they say when in Rome...

My +1 and I both earn good incomes and we're pretty comfortable. The aim really (as with most expats) is to save money so we're not being too extravagant but like you, I wouldn't have agreed to move unless we had at least the same lifestyle as we had in Sydney, and we do (and probably slightly better). We live in the Marina, a modern 3br apartment. We can go for a run in the mornings without being bothered or worried. Its a good area, but living here you feel like you can be anywhere..if you want to experience real Dubai culture, live down in Deira or Bur Dubai.

Hubby works on SZR and I work in Deira, so we're against the traffic.

We're not party animals, but like you we are foodies and generally the food here is awesome, so you better have a good fitness regime :)

General cost of living, in my opinion (not including rent) is slightly cheaper I think. Food here is good (mostly imported) and cheap. Petrol cheaper. Utilities cheaper.

Its easy though to get sucked into an indulgent lifestyle - just be careful!
[/img]
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2007
Hi Dee Dee,

Thanks for your reply.

Can I ask your opinion about salary requirements?

I would like to be able to save a minimum of 8000 to 10,000 AED per month for investing etc as we will be selling our Australian house and only dabbling in investing in stocks for at least a while.

What kind of income do we need (including housing allowance but excluding medical, flights, relocation) to be able to live the equivalent of a great Sydney lifestyle with some travel (europe etc), lots of dining out, sailing, generally enjoying what Dubai has to offer and still and a nice (rental) place to live (pleasant but doesn't have to be luxurious)? It is just my husband and myself.

We are very concerned about making the move and not being able to afford to enjoy our new city. Dubai looks amazing and we want to be able to explore it without worrying about money. Would the 30,000 a month suggested cut it? We anticipate earning more but it would be good to be sure.
admcau
Dubai Forum User

Feb 20, 2007
Thanks benwj, not a bad suggestion but I was after a bit more a of a lifestyle change!!!
admcau
Dubai Forum User

Feb 21, 2007
No worries.
I spent several years in Sydney myself and love the place. I'm planning a fews days there in April. Can't wait!

The main difference between Dubai and Sydney is that you do not need much disposable income to enjoy Sydney, but you need a lot to enjoy Dubai. In other words, money CAN buy happiness in a place like Dubai.

It is a bit of a fantasyland where everyone's heads are in the clouds (or in the sand, depending which way you look at it). You will not only enjoy short breaks to other places, but you will also need them for a reality check.

With this in mind, income is your first priority, and Ian was "right on the money".
You can live quite comfortably on 30k per month, allowing 10k for rent, 10k for saving, and 10k left for spending. Anymore than that is a bonus.

Like scarlet said, you should find out where you will be working first, and then find somewhere closeby to live... or at least against the traffic like Dee.

The main shock for me was the change in countryside. Dubai has a lot of artifical beauty, but pretty much no natural beauty, and this was a bit depressing for me.
But I have gotten over that, and am as shallow as the best of them now :D
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 21, 2007
admcau,
I would agree with everyone else that 30K aed p/m is a good base (we earn more). But definitely aim for higher if you really want a good lifestyle. True what benwj has said - money really can buy you happiness here!

So, have you actually decided to move here yet? I suggest you get here before summer rolls in, while the weather is still bearable :)
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2007
Thank you all for your extremely helpful advice. Cant thank you enough, I feel I have a much clearer idea of what to expect. My husband is quite optimistic about a couple of roles he has been interviewing for. Hopefully he will get an offer soon and we will be there before the summer starts! Then I just have to figure out what kind of work I might be suitable for over there.
admcau
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum