Assistance Required About My Package

Topic locked
Assistance required about my package Feb 03, 2007
I have been offered a package of 15,000AED / month, Airfare, Medical provided. Could anyone give their comments on this package? I am a Canadian Citizen, US graduated and have 15 years of professional experience. My office is located in Khalid Bin Waleed Street, Dubai. Also I need to know, which area should I select for living, based on the above offer. I am looking for a 2 BD appartment.

Appreciate your input.

regards

fanoos
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 03, 2007
You didn't mention if your accomodation was provided.
Married / Children / School?
Transportation?
Which sector you would be working in?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 03, 2007
Sorry about that. Accomodation is included in this package. I mean I have to pay for it.
Thanks
fanoos
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 03, 2007
I have 3 kids, 2 school going children. Transportation is also included in this package. Schooling will not be provided. AV/IT is the sector.

Thanks,
fanoos
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 03, 2007
3 children two bedroom appt., a bit cramped I would have thpught.

By the time you have finished paying accomodation, Transportation, School Fees for 2 out of 3 children you will not have much left. You should try to negotiate substantially more from your prospective Employer.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 03, 2007
Thanks so much!
Where should I look for the appartment? Which area? Please give me couple of places near to that place, if possible.
I will appreciate your help.
Thanks,
fanoos
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 03, 2007
Bur Dubai Kharama Area would probably be the cheapest.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 03, 2007
Thanks so much!!
fanoos
Dubai Expat Wannabe

it's a crappy deal. Feb 04, 2007
I wouldn't take it, and here's why:

15,000AED/mth = ~$4800CDN/mth.

~$4800CDN/mth x 12 = $57600CDN/yr

$57600CDN/yr taxfree = ~$78k/yr CDN with taxes (57.6k * 1.35)

Rent in Dubai is ridiculous, you can easily kiss 10kAED/mth goodbye to rent.

Education for your children is expensive. If you want to send your kids to a local school, you're doing your children a disservice.

Private schools that are internationally accredited are close to 10K.USD/yr.

So doing the math, this is what you get:

15k x 12 months = 180,000AED
Costs:
Rent: 120,000AED
School for 2 kids (10kUSD x 2) = 73,400 AED

You also forget: Food, furniture, car, gas, DEWA (water/electricity), startup costs (you have to pay your rent in advance, plus a 2000AED DEWA deposit), etc, etc...

On top of that, that area of dubai is VERY populated, noisy, and has a LOT of traffic.

Also, when you negotiate your deal, your deal should ensure that any costs your employer is wiling to pay for is CLEARLY documented, and you should ALWAYS ask for an allowance.

ie: If they're going to pay for your car, they should be giving you a straight lump sum on a monthly basis to cover costs.

I'm renting a Toyota Camry, and it's costing me 3000AED a month.

Your deal isn't worth it.
djl
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 04, 2007
Thanks for your feedback..
I didn't realize before that life in Dubai is quiet miserable for average person and living is SOO.. expensive there. I did same salary calculation as you have done here and I thought their offer is NOT too bad but it is not true. Canada is inexpensive compared to Dubai, rents aren't that high, transportation is easily affordable, schooling is free plus medical is provided from OHIP.

Let me figure out what I can do with this offer and how to negotiate more from them. Thanks anyway, I appreciate your help and time providing me all the information.
Regards,
fanoos
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 05, 2007
djl great break down, man after reading your post I'm thinking about moving back.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 05, 2007
fanoos wrote:I didn't realize before that life in Dubai is quiet miserable for average person and living is SOO.. expensive there. I did same salary calculation as you have done here and I thought their offer is NOT too bad but it is not true. Canada is inexpensive compared to Dubai, rents aren't that high, transportation is easily affordable, schooling is free plus medical is provided from OHIP.

These are the reasons why Canada comes on top of my list of countries I want to settle in for long time. And at the moment I don't want to go back to my home country for some reasons. In 5 years time I am thinking of immigrating and getting second citizenship/passport *and hoping that my home country govt will not find out my dual citizenship then ;)*
Any tips?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 05, 2007
fayz wrote:djl great break down, man after reading your post I'm thinking about moving back.

A lot of people are probably thinking the same thing!
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum