Topic locked
Skype Jan 09, 2007
Hi

I've heard rumour that Skype use is limited in Dubai. Is this true? I'm about to move out and am relying on Skype to stay in touch with my mates in the UK.

Tickles

Tickles
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 10, 2007
3.0 beta - i did not say that
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jan 10, 2007
if you are bringing a laptop or your pc make sure you have the program (see above :wink: ) downloaded before you get here.

access to the site is limited however you won't really need to access the site if the program is on the machine.

Also you won't be able to top up your account credit from dubai. It helps if you have someone back home that could help you in this regards.

I call family in Australia to charge up the account and then just wire them the money from account back home.

Cheers,
SNA33Y
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 10, 2007
SNA33Y wrote:if you are bringing a laptop or your pc make sure you have the program (see above :wink: ) downloaded before you get here.

access to the site is limited however you won't really need to access the site if the program is on the machine.

Also you won't be able to top up your account credit from dubai. It helps if you have someone back home that could help you in this regards.

I call family in Australia to charge up the account and then just wire them the money from account back home.

Cheers,

You can still top up and use from SAHM/DIC/Du for the moment anyway.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 10, 2007
Luckily i can VPN into my UK office and do highly immoral things such as buying my national lottery ticket :)

Thing that gets me is that nationalottery.co.uk is blocked - I only do the dam lottery because I have done so for about 10 years. I never win but 'murphys law' will make sure my numbers come up the moment I stop. So I can't.

Anyway like I say the site is blocked, but every time I go to a gas station i get hassled to buy tickets for prize draws, such as a car or 50,000 AEDS worth of gold.

Double standards again - if there is one thing that get me going, its playing the moral protector when all thats been protected is the pockets of a monopoly.

Grrrgghhh :protest: :protest: :protest: :protest:
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jan 17, 2007
Hello everybody!

I'm new in the DubaiForums. In the first time, i'm French :wink: thanks for the reactions ... and my english is bad ( I think ). I'm student in France in a hight school and I hoppe to go to Dubaï for finding in the futur a job and a apartment or house if I have money ...

In a second time I would like speak with person who lives in Dubaï for learning more of this beautiful city and the life style. If a person would like to speak with me ( for learning French or informations for France ) 8) i'm ok.

PS: the last words Dubai is incredible
Reinier
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 17, 2007
welcome to the forums Reinier
i am sure u will find all informations about dubai if u spend some time in here
good luck
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 17, 2007
regarding skype. i use it to talk to some friends i have in Dubai. the problem is that from some time now it has become useless cause i cant hear them but they hear me and pretty clear.
can somebody tell me if this has anything to do with 3.0 beta version??
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 17, 2007
Thanks.
I know I have the last version because it is downloaded automatically on my computer...
Reinier
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 17, 2007
If a person have skype, i would like to speak with it ?
Reinier
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 18, 2007
guys anyone got Skype 2.0 for Mac to work in the UAE ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 18, 2007
After much buggering about I managed to get this working here. Had to download some programmes to my computer, would suggest you search this site and Google and all will reveal itself.

Sorry, won't be more specific in case Etisilat are watching.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 18, 2007
If a person wants to download Skype it' this link : http://www.skype.com/helloagain.html
I think it's the last skype.
Reinier
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 18, 2007
It's in French!!!!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 19, 2007
Hi all,

I have the latest skype version and the last 24hrs i manage to make many times a video call with my family in Greece. Everything was fine except a small delay in video and voice.

But in general i was very satisfied.
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

speak to skype... Jan 22, 2007
Reinier wrote:If a person have skype, i would like to speak with it ?

I dont think AI is that advanced as yet, i doubt skype would talk back... but go ahead and try non the less ;)
larre
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 23, 2007
I use Skype whenever I am in Dubai. Skype works fine, but I cannot buy Skype credit to recharge my account from within Dubai. Make sure you charge it up before you go to Dubai. As long as you use your account within 180 days, you never lose your balance. You can also use Yahoo Voice to make calls like Skype. Sometimes Yahoo is cheaper.
swesner
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum