Queues And Queueing

Topic locked
Jan 10, 2007
Coops wrote:oh and another thing my husband hates! is lining up at the supermarket and they stand right up behind him pressed against his back :shock: - i always laugh cuz it doesnt happen to me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I forgot that one. So fooking annoying! I turn around and say "may I help you" (really). Btw, just a matter of "speech".

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 10, 2007
Coops wrote:oh and another thing my husband hates! is lining up at the supermarket and they stand right up behind him pressed against his back :shock: - i always laugh cuz it doesnt happen to me.

He has now taken to stading back to back with me glaring at the person behind so they at least leave a 1cm gap!

hahaha ya i would MUCH rather have them jump the queue then do that .. but this is for sure cultural the concept of personal space doesn't exist in many cultures.

As for queue jumping who has been to Trilogy or peppermint on a popular night ... its chaos .. the security company fails to realize that they need to get people to stand in a queue and trust me the people going clubbing on a Friday night are not uneducated laborers !!!
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 10, 2007
It's a culture shock that's for sure.

Whereas well-spoken Brits tend to be more privelaged in the UK, I feel this is one area where they lose out to folks from the provinces. Their posh cries of "excuse me!" are no match for a good, "oooooiiii, bawbag, back o the line"!
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 11, 2007
I'm Indian and the sad thing is that I would have to agree with Concord about it being a cultural thing. If you think it's bad here, try living in India for a week....you'll burst an artery or two for sure! Everytime i visit Bombay, i scream at atleast 5 people (and i mean really scream!), elbow atleast 7 who try to encroach on my personal space and lecture atleast 13 kids...about not throwing rubbish out the window, spitting on the road, cutting queues, pushing and shoving... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I wish parents would take more responsibility in teaching their kids these basic manners!
pixie 32
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 12, 2007
bushra21 wrote:hmmm well ive never had to deal with any local kids...

That's because you are wearing an abaya and from what I have seen, the "ladys first" culture still exists in Dubai. Many cutures are not used to this.

All nationalities do it, just some more than others.

The responses that I get (when they are confronted) are:

Indian/Pakis/Jinglies: To ignorant to know any better and shit themselves.

Local females: Let them go ahead.

Western female: Get very offended are are liable to start yelling.

Western male: none been silly enough to try it yet.

Local male: Surprised that you want them to wait their turn and offer to allow you to go before them.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 13, 2007
benwj wrote:Local females: Let them go ahead.

Western female: Get very offended are are liable to start yelling.

Local male: Surprised that you want them to wait their turn and offer to allow you to go before them.

hehhehe, very true. Specially the last one, they makes it as if they are doing you a favor.

But to be honest, even local ladies or men, i just tell them polietly "excuse me, there is a queue and all of us are waiting" in moderate voice so they don't get defensive.

Usually, i find the european ladies shouting in the queue and as mentioned before sometimes it is not intentional by the person and they appologize and go back, but the European, spcially british women keep yelling at him :D sometimes i feel bad for the person who do it in attendence of one of these british women who are really looking for a fight with a queue skipper
yshimy

Jan 13, 2007
You really have to live in Saudi Arabia for the ultimate of Queue jumping experiences.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 13, 2007
hehehe, Saudi is 20 million it think..

Check it out in Egypt... 80 million person.

Q start with one person then when it reaches 3, it stands parallel to the desk not perpendicular. Then layers of people to the extend of suffocating the ones in front...
yshimy

Jan 13, 2007
yshimy wrote:hehehe, Saudi is 20 million it think..

Check it out in Egypt... 80 million person.

Q start with one person then when it reaches 3, it stands parallel to the desk not perpendicular. Then layers of people to the extend of suffocating the ones in front...

Never been to Egypt, but I heard the stories :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat