Liking Dubai Less & Less

Topic locked
ahahah Jan 03, 2007
:p aahahah....fair enough.

I think I should post in the jobs section...maybe someone will want it!

cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 03, 2007
oh dear some of these comments are a little worrying !Am arriving on Sunday , packing up my life currently, surrounded by boxes. Everyone back in the UK thinks I'm really lucky to have an opportunity to experience a different culture, lifestyle etc etc!!! :shock: [/list][/list][/quote]
rammie
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 03, 2007
Choco...
may-b u were idealizing dubai so much while u were abroad...then u became disappointed...when it fails to live up ur expectations upon ur return..
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 03, 2007
there is plenty to do like the beach, football, basetball, joining a club of some sort, going to the desert......loads[/quote]
Oh what a Gay life you have :lol:
satan-the-redeema
Dubai Forums Frequenter

dubai Jan 03, 2007
rammiee.....................chill.....its not that bad....in fact its good here....i think there is a lot of generalizing...or well negativity in the opinions on forums...anyway.. :D
cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 03, 2007
rammie wrote:oh dear some of these comments are a little worrying !Am arriving on Sunday , packing up my life currently, surrounded by boxes. Everyone back in the UK thinks I'm really lucky to have an opportunity to experience a different culture, lifestyle etc etc!!! :shock: [/list][/list]
[/quote]

Don't worry you will be fine, for some the glitter of Dubai wears off after a while, takes a few years though. Meanwhile enjoy yourself.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 03, 2007
satan-the-redeema wrote:there is plenty to do like the beach, football, basetball, joining a club of some sort, going to the desert......loads

Oh what a Gay life you have :lol:[/quote]

haha

now now, there is no need to get jealous dude
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Liking Dubai less & less Jan 04, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Hey All,

Happy New Year.

I went away for New Year, and I have to say whenever I go out of the UAE, I'm starting to dread coming back everytime. Everywhere else feels like normality compared to Dubai, the shine is definately coming off. Just getting into the airport, people here can act like animals, there's zero consideration for anyone else. Plus you really notice that the place smells, of people and smoke, it really is foul.

Maybe the time is right to start looking for new places to live and work.

Just venting.

Happy new year.
I have been here almost a year. The shine has come off and im getting bored quickly also. Luckily i fly back to Europe every 2 months as part of my job otherwise id be doomed!
Nothing beats working in London i guess...
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 04, 2007
many thanks for words of encouragement when the hebajebes set in 2 days before giving up everything we have. I guess it's each to there own!
rammie
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 04, 2007
The shine of Dubai wore off for me after about 6 months. It all depends on what you like to do and whether you have time to do it. It also depends on if you like a more urban and consumer lifestyle or not. For example, if your idea of fun is eating out a lot, going to the movies a lot and shopping - Dubai is great! (providing you have the money and time). If you like nature and more cultural things you can find it to a certain extent here. You can drive into the desert, and go to an open beach, but the winter months are the best obviously. Other big cities have cultural events that are free and easy to access, but here there isn't so much of that, and the public transport is almost non-existent so you need to fight the traffic to get there in your own car. Summer is so hot that it makes doing anything outdoors unbearable, so people lead indoor lives in the shopping malls, or travel outside the country (if they can afford it).

If you work 10 hr days and spend the rest of the time in traffic, you don't have much of a social life. If you get two day weekends every two weeks only, and one day weekends the rest, then you spend the day off sleeping and doing laundry etc. I can easily see how someone can feel frustrated here.

I'm finding that shopping here is often cheaper than in the Nordic countries, but quite a lot of the prices are rising to be the same as in Canada even with the sales tax there. Cars are definitely cheap here though :)

I am a Northern person and really miss forest and greenery. I used to be able to walk out of my apartment door and be in the middle of a pine and birch forest within 5 minutes... I really miss that. For me, shopping is only fun when I am actually looking for something I need. Eating out is a nice treat, but don't want to do it all the time, especially when there is cigarette smoke everywhere.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat