My Package Ok?

Topic locked
My package ok? Dec 19, 2006
I'm getting an offer of AED17k/mth, working in an investment company.
AED17k is my basic salary (this would include accommodation, transportation, utilities, basically everything!!!).
The contract is for 2 years. I'll be bringing along my wife & 3 y.o son.

Other benefit:
i) medical insurance (self only)
ii) free passage once in 2 years for me & family
iii) relocation allowance
iv) visa cost for me & family

I'll be working somewhere along SZR & planning to get a single bedroom apartment for around AED4500/mth.

Opinions are much appreciated. Cheers..

beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: My package ok? Dec 19, 2006
[quote="beaujarle"]I'm getting an offer of AED17k/mth, working in an investment company.
AED17k is my basic salary (this would include accommodation, transportation, utilities, basically everything!!!). This is not a particularly good offer
The contract is for 2 years. I'll be bringing along my wife & 3 y.o son. Will your wife be working?, your son will start school this will be costly others may inform you how much

Other benefit:
i) medical insurance (self only) You will have to provide for your family
ii) free passage once in 2 years for me & family Should be yearly
iii) relocation allowance How much?
iv) visa cost for me & family OK

I'll be working somewhere along SZR & planning to get a single bedroom apartment for around AED4500/mth. Should be 2 bed with a child plan on 6000 pm ++

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: My package ok? Dec 19, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
beaujarle wrote:I'm getting an offer of AED17k/mth, working in an investment company.
AED17k is my basic salary (this would include accommodation, transportation, utilities, basically everything!!!).
This is not a particularly good offer Why do you say not good? Can give an average figure?
The contract is for 2 years. I'll be bringing along my wife & 3 y.o son.
Will your wife be working?, your son will start school this will be costly others may inform you how much
May ask wife to find a job once properly settled down.

Other benefit:
i) medical insurance (self only) You will have to provide for your family
How much estimated for wife & son?
ii) free passage once in 2 years for me & family Should be yearly
Is this a norm or required by law?
iii) relocation allowance How much?
Dunno yet...any good ballpark figure for me to demand?
iv) visa cost for me & family OK

I'll be working somewhere along SZR & planning to get a single bedroom apartment for around AED4500/mth.
Should be 2 bed with a child plan on 6000 pm ++ Can't even get AED4500 in a cheap area?

Further queries in orange. Appreciate as much opinion....many cheers!!!!! 8)
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Your package? Dec 19, 2006
ask your GF
MrLonely
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Your package? Dec 19, 2006
MrLonely wrote:ask your GF

This is the Dubai Expat Help forum, please restrict your comments to where they may be required.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 20, 2006
Agree, you can get more for an investment company but depends what level you're at. 17k equates to say about 2400 pounds a month, your rent will take 1000 of that, your school fees another 400-500. Not a lot left!

Bear in mind also that, depending what your wife does and wants to do out here, she may not get paid a lot of money or may have to work long hours. Part time jobs here pay hardly anything due to the large amount of cheap labour. One get around may be her getting a job at a nursery, who'll give discounted fees plus a wage to her, so boosting your income and lowering costs.

As far as I know, there's no legal statute on flights beyond getting you to and from Dubai at the start and end of contract, but yearly flights are the norm for Westerners. I have 2 per year for my whole family (3 of us).

Medic insurance should also cover your family.

Relocation, would ask about 5 grand on that income. Reason being you have a lot of outgoings when you get here, including having to pay a substantial amount of rent up front, hefty deposits on just about everything (apartment, phone, cable etc.), you have to rent a car til you get a visa and can buy one etc.

On final point, you can live in cheap areas but it really depends on where you work. If you are working nearby to a cheap area, fine, but if you have to commute to the other side of the Creek expect to spend a few hours a day in traffic.

Don't want to appear downbeat but you really do need more cash if you're to have a good life here.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 20, 2006
Thanks for the feedback, s&o & scot.

Coming from sub-continent, I don't know if I can demand too much.

I guess that this is what I'm able to get & trying to have the option on other ways to re-negotiate with my employer or.....make the best out of what I'll be getting.

Roughly, my estimate of the cost of living that I can afford (per month basis):
Accommodation = AED4500
Food = AED2000
Transportation = AED2000
Utilities = AED1500
Insurance = AED1000
Kid's pre-school = AED1000
Commitments & savings = whatever I have left

Is this budget/estimate realistic?
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 20, 2006
beaujarle wrote:Thanks for the feedback, s&o & scot.

Coming from sub-continent, I don't know if I can demand too much.

I guess that this is what I'm able to get & trying to have the option on other ways to re-negotiate with my employer or.....make the best out of what I'll be getting.

Roughly, my estimate of the cost of living that I can afford (per month basis):
Accommodation = AED4500 (1 bedroom apartment)
Food = AED2000
Transportation = AED2000
Utilities = AED1500
Insurance = AED1000
Kid's pre-school = AED1000
Commitments, entertainment & savings = whatever I have left

Is this budget/estimate realistic?
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 20, 2006
Think you will be able to shave a fair bit of your Budget from the utilities. My 2 bed apartment only runs me Dhs500 per month, and with other things, all told around Dhs1000.

Also, Dhs2000 may be a bit high for travel, but depends. Too many factors.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 20, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Think you will be able to shave a fair bit of your Budget from the utilities. My 2 bed apartment only runs me Dhs500 per month, and with other things, all told around Dhs1000.

Also, Dhs2000 may be a bit high for travel, but depends. Too many factors.

Thanks Yorky,
The transportation would include car rental + petrol.
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 20, 2006
If you are considering being here for some time, get a new/secondhand car. It will work out cheaper in the long run.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum