Decision Time

Topic locked
Decision Time Oct 26, 2006
I’ve been a bit of a lurker on these boards but have posted a few questions along the way- and everyone has been extremely helpful. I’m a single American female (29yo) and have just received an offer from a big company in Dubai. I’ve wanted to live in the destination for some time, have traveled there often, and have some contacts in place already. However, for some reason lately I’ve heard a lot about harassment of single women and safety issues and it is causing me to hesitate (though the hesitation may stem in part from the fact I am about to pick up and move halfway around the world from my family and close friends). I’ve lived on my own in New York and am pretty independent and perhaps too fearless when it comes to my personal safety. But then I hear that Dubai is a very safe city. Should I be concerned? Are there any precautions I should take (besides avoiding inappropriate dress and the Golden Sands vicinity?) I’m just trying to be prepared as possible for the reality of my new life.

Thanks! I hope I’ll be able to help other DFers once I’m settled!

LB

LBHOO
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Decision Time Oct 26, 2006
LBHOO wrote:I’ve been a bit of a lurker on these boards but have posted a few questions along the way- and everyone has been extremely helpful. I’m a single American female (29yo) and have just received an offer from a big company in Dubai. I’ve wanted to live in the destination for some time, have traveled there often, and have some contacts in place already. However, for some reason lately I’ve heard a lot about harassment of single women and safety issues and it is causing me to hesitate (though the hesitation may stem in part from the fact I am about to pick up and move halfway around the world from my family and close friends). I’ve lived on my own in New York and am pretty independent and perhaps too fearless when it comes to my personal safety. But then I hear that Dubai is a very safe city. Should I be concerned? Are there any precautions I should take (besides avoiding inappropriate dress and the Golden Sands vicinity?) I’m just trying to be prepared as possible for the reality of my new life.

Thanks! I hope I’ll be able to help other DFers once I’m settled!

LB

First of all welcome to DF.

I think if you have lived (and survived) in New York, then Dubai is a breeze.

Of course their are always stories in the press, and it is always wise as a single female to be carefull, however most of the time it is up to you as to what signals you want to convey to people around you. Dressing sensibly is always a good thing to do, and by that I don't mean you have to cover everything, however when you see the way some girls dress here it is no wonder they can get into trouble.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 26, 2006
Since you are an independent woman, im pretty sure you will like it here.

Welcome to DF! :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 26, 2006
Sage has summed it up very well, you will be very safe. It's mainly just the looking and dogging that really get's to some ladies, but in the main thats all it is.

The starring isn't personal, its just that you are female. Remember, many of the low paid immigrants havent seen their wives and families for 1/2/3 maybe more years.

You will find no graffitti, no real crime as such and in the main a very respectful and safe country. There arnt many places left where a woman could walk out at night on her own and feel relatively safe. In the UK, and the States it's a total no no, the risk of rape,robbery and worse is zillions higher than the UAE.

Good luck and dont worry
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 27, 2006
Thanks all! I appreciate your input (and reassurance!) I hope to see everyone in Dubai~
LBHOO
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 27, 2006
Congratulations on the offer LBHOO.

There is no problem with safety as far a crime is concerned. Dubai should not concern either you or your family as far as terrorism is concerned (not at the moment anyway) - I know that is a concern to many in the USA.

As you have lived in NYC on your own you know what to do, etc.

Take the non-stop flight!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 29, 2006
Hi there,

I empathise with your concerns, and in fact share a few of them. I am 28, Female and Aussie... and I'll be arriving in Dubai to start my new job in the next week or two.

I have been reassured to the point of comfort about the safety in Dubai, and on the whole have found most "local" expats to be encouraging, warm and helpful.

Accept the job and come join me on a big adventure!

:)

PMS
PMS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum