Laptop RAM?

Topic locked
Laptop RAM? Oct 19, 2006
Hi,
I have a Packard Bell notebook. It came with 512mb RAM but i removed that and inserted two 1gb sticks. Total ram is now 2gb which is the maximum.
UNfortunately programs still take way to long to open, and boot time is also slow.
Two main qsts:

1. Does it matter that i replaced the original RAM with new Kingston RAM?
2. If i try to speed up my bootup time, what are the essential programs required. Basically, what do i HAVE to keep in the msconfig startup box?

YI, i have anti spyware & adware and antivirus programs running. these also load at startup. i'm not too worried about the startup time, but during the comp. running it shouldnt be so slow to open apps.

I had installed this RAM quite a while ago; then I decided to format the HDD and install my own stuff rather than use the Packard Bell boot disc. THEN i had a problem coz the RAM wasnt recognized; so i took it to the service center. Had to be reinstalled with the PB ram.

Thinking of buying and putting new PB ram (whatever it is they recommend to use). Think this would help?

ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 19, 2006
It's not your ram.

Is it a Celeron, Pentium or AMD Processor?
What type of Hard Disk is in it? Have you defragged it?

2 gig should easily free up any bottleneck, I'd say it's more the subsystem, most likely you've got a Celeron, especially since it's a Packard Bell.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 19, 2006
it was the best one available at the time.
its a centrino 2.0ghz..
80gb hdd
yes, defragged my hdd, and the partitions..
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 20, 2006
Your machine sounds fine. Centrino 2.0Ghz is still very 21st century :P

Do the following

1. Increase your Virtual Memory ..

Right click on my computer, go to properties, advanced tab, click settings under performance, click advanced tab, click on the change tab, make initial size 1280 and maximum 2048 nd then click SET, click OK, choose System Cache under memory usage, click SET, click OK, OK, OK

2. Remove everything from Programs, Startup. The less stuff you have open as soon as the computer is logged into, the better

3. MsConfig, Startup Tab, Uncheck tabs like anything to do with Roxio CD Creator, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, Printer drivers, Printer Management, etc. If you have a line that reads RunDll32 cmicnfg, uncheck that as well

4. Make sure you have installed all updates for your OS, Ms Office, or any other office software. Go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and perform a check. DO NOT INSTALL THE GDI+ update.

5. Run a system Virus scan using Stinger.exe which can be found if you do a google search for "stinger.exe"

6. Reboot your system.
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk