Canadian/male With Financial/IT Management Expertise

Topic locked
Canadian/male with Financial/IT Management expertise Sep 24, 2006
Currently seeking employment in Dubai.
Sample of qualifications:

Career Profile

Bottom-line-oriented executive with over fifteen (15) years of comprehensive experience, generating innovative oversight of finance and technology. Utilize an anticipatory management style to drive results in a rapidly changing industry. Produce consistent achievements in cutting edge information systems management, team management, course development and training, systems analysis, purchasing logistics and expense reduction.

Managed Retail Furniture’s IT requirements and business operations for seven locations, incorporating real time networking systems. Supervised 28 direct reports and controlled $6 million + retail operating sales. Researched, assessed and improved technology purchases over a 12-year period, upgrading regularly to meet operational requirements. Implemented and trained staff for system improvements to maintain profitability, competitive, customer service directives.

Responsible for financial planning and complete computer maintenance and technical support administration. Conducted strategic planning including various system upgrades and capital operating projections.

Managed complete projects; coordinating teams handling, client hardware and software installations. Personally developed training packages and instructed staff concerning proper operation.
Managed local and remote locations business development, including leasing/contact agreements and monthly financial review.

Controlled inventory purchasing and resource management.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

buddyb
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Canadian/male with Financial/IT Management expertise Jan 23, 2007
Hi there,

I ended up travelling to Dubai for an interview. However, after reviewing the opportunity, factoring the cost of living, and the overall lifestyle and cultural environment, I chose to return to Canada.

There is lots to learn from travelling to Dubai. The first is, you should be comfortable with the work culture - and I mean this in the hours of work, the travel commitments (depending upon where you live in Dubai because traffic is horrible), the weather, the cost of living, and the recreational activities available. With a family of four, you will certainly want to ensure you have the best or more than modest comfort, and to provide these comforts for your family, including transportation costs, education, recreation, etc etc, you do not want to pay for it all by yourself. These are things to consider when applying in Dubai and negotiating a salary.

Second, depending upon your qualifications and experience, I only recommend that executive level candidates consider Dubai for a lucrative move, or for those qualified, to apply for a position in a large corporation which is global in reach, such as a multinational. This will also allow you to come back to Canada if need be and to secure a position of higher or equal status. For some reason, North America does not recognize local or regional companies in Dubai as equivalent foreign experience when compared to those in Europe or specific cities in Asia (not yet, at least). Finally, if the option is available to you, I recommend applying from Canada for a transfer to Dubai if at all possible.

The reason for my suggestions? Savings advantages are no longer what they used to be for those managerial level candidates applying to Dubai. Most local organizations will not provide the lucrative packages as they did in the past for Western talent due to the influx of migrants from Asia, particularly India. For this reason, and in the context of achieving the financial benefit to leave Canada (temporarily or permanently), it's better to have a lower cost of living and move to a place like Abu Dhabi, or even Qatar. Doha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doha is a city which is growing fast, and the job opportunities, packages, cost of living and salary ranges with savings potential can still be achieved with Canadian or North American experience. Note: Life in Doha is much slower than Dubai, since Dubai is considered to be the "L.A." of the U.A.E. or the Middle East for that matter!

I recommend you read ALL of the information on http://www.grapeshisha.com which was extremely helpful for me (an excellent resource). Be sure to check out the Salary calculator, Cost of Living Spreadsheet, and notable Recruiters list.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Rahim Moosa
RM Inc.
Media | Marketing | Public Relations
rmoosa
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted