Taste In Music

Topic locked
Taste in Music Mar 12, 2007
I’m curious on how do people in general develop their taste in music. What they like, what they dislike...
I know that most people listen to all sorts of music depending on their mood but there are people that, for instance, cant listen to heavy metal coz its too noisy and messy, but there are people who love that genre and cant really enjoy other genres.
Do you think it’s the environment that people lived in? If they lived in the 70s 80s…etc? Family Background? Culture (Western or Eastern)? If they play a certain instrument or not?

Personally, both of my parents were into music which had famous Arabic poems, so I developed a taste in Umm Kalthoum and Fairoz, plus coz my dad listens to them every day and I cant run away from that. My mom always liked the folk music from Aden (Yemen). I liked listening to the words to the song in Arabic and Hindi coz they had deep meaning back then. The developed a taste in hindi music when I used to watch hindi movies when I was a kid like 4 every Thursday on Channel 33. After I joined a band in school, I started to develop a taste in Heavy Metal. I played guitar, bass and drums and I always loved analyzing the instruments when I listen to the music. I liked Rap coz in the 90s its was cool.

Pretty weird post I know, but wanna check out what kind of music you guys are into? Not many people I asked knew why they liked the genre but it would be good to know.

Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 12, 2007
Well at the moment, i'm not really listening to any albums as such...just a mixture of old skool hip hop and RnB. When driving on the roads, I prefer to listen to some light jazz or something slower... 8)

I also like reggae :lol:
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 12, 2007
V-Man wrote:Well at the moment Im not really listening to any albums as such...just a mixture of old skool hip hop and RnB. When driving on the roads, I prefer to listen to some light jazz or something slower... 8)

you mean the late 80s 90s hip hop, coz thats good stuff ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 12, 2007
yeh B I G , 2 PAC...etc
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 13, 2007
people listen to what they can relate to
Akj689
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 13, 2007
Akj689 wrote:people listen to what they can relate to

can you relate like techno to indian music for instance?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 13, 2007
I guess it also depends on how and what kind of music you are exposed to. when i was a kid, my mom used tp listen to abba, satuday night fever, neil young, so i developed a liking for english music. due to my cultural background and location got exposed to a lot of hindi music, but still am choosy about what i listen to when it comes to hindi music.

college days - mostly rock and heavy metal - prodigy, metallica, GnR, ron maiden, black sabath and the list would go on. One fine day when i was stoned layed my hands on Dark side of the moon by floyd, and got hooked on to it like no other artist. went on buying music by floyd till i had my own collection. but then apart from floyd my taste changed, got into more of newage and world music - buddha bar, karunesh and a few others.

Today it absolutely depends on my mood, at times i listen to dire straits, metallica, next moment i can be listening to enigma or paul van dyke. easily switch to bob dylan and country roads :).

so i guess it depends on your surroundings, what you are facing or feeling emotionally, your company and your mood.
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 13, 2007
Jeevan wrote:college days - mostly rock and heavy metal - prodigy, metallica, GnR, ron maiden, black sabath and the list would go on.

im suprised that you didnt come to the Desert Rock dude

but yeah it all depends on the mood, thats music for yeah

thanks for the post though ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 13, 2007
I'm stuck in 1993 - nothing good came after that.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 13, 2007
^ian^ wrote:I'm stuck in 1993 - nothing good came after that.

lol OMG

1993!! well there is bound to be something good after that
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 13, 2007
Bleakus wrote:

lol OMG

Such as?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 13, 2007
Me :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 13, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Bleakus wrote:

lol OMG

Such as?

Britney Spears lol
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 13, 2007
Bleakus wrote:
Akj689 wrote:people listen to what they can relate to

can you relate like techno to indian music for instance?

what do u mean..?
Akj689
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 13, 2007
coz you mentioned "music the people relate to"

but there are people who listen to arabic music and at the same time Techno, is there a relation?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 14, 2007
oh...i get your point.however i am saying that the people and the music not the music with the music...i mean we tend to listen to what is so called "sad music" when we feel sad because somewhat we feel related to it at the moment no matter what is the language of the song, its more about how we react with the music as a whole.
Akj689
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 14, 2007
Akj689 wrote:oh...i get your point.however i am saying that the people and the music not the music with the music...i mean we tend to listen to what is so called "sad music" when we feel sad because somewhat we feel related to it at the moment no matter what is the language of the song, its more about how we react with the music as a whole.

very good point dude
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk