Memoirs Of A Geisha

Topic locked
memoirs of a geisha Feb 06, 2006
just saw it....amazing...beautiful...evocative...but i am sure the book must have been anothere great experiance...nonetheless loved the movie...oh dont bother seeing "history of violence" absolute waste of time!!...

constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 07, 2006
At the Mall of the Emirates? Hmmmm competition winner were we? :wink:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 07, 2006
none of the above...can't tell you...will have to kill you :wink:
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 07, 2006
iheard tht movie is pretty cool....but i think da movie is banned in eastern countries like china...i think
romance
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 07, 2006
I'll take a pass.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 08, 2006
I'll check it out next week. It has caused controversy, because the makers used Chinese actresses to play Japanese characters.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 09, 2006
I loved it personally, although having read the book, the beginning was really nothing similar, a little dissapointing, but none the less an amazing film for its costumes, scenes and unveiling of what is commonly considered a mystery.

Choc you are right, there has been some unheavel over the fact they used non Japanese actors, but having said that, Nicole Kidman has played numerous roles that are not Australian. Gosh just about every actor I can think of has played different roles in their careers, isnt that what being an 'actor' is all about. And hold the phones what about Julie Andrews, she was supposedly an Austrian (?) nun, I dont think so :wink: in The Sound Of Music

Sorry got off track, Geisha is well worth an hour or so of your time, but Liban, you are right, I do not think it is a 'boy flick' (I did not take my hubbie) probably one for a girls day out :D
lochness
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 09, 2006
it would have been nice to see more actual japanese in some of the roles.
richmc
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2006
Agree with you with rich, but I did not sit through the entire movie wondering about it
lochness
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 25, 2006
I actually just finished the book and was somewhat disappointed with the ending..(I don't know if I should say why though, incase I spoil the ending for someone!:) ) The rest of the book was great, though.

But yeah, I'm boycotting the movie. I'm half Japanese and so I was a bit upset that none of the female leads are actually played by Japanese actresses. Apparently, it's a lot easier to find a Chinese actress and not only teach her English, but also teach her English in a JAPANESE accent than it is to find a Japanese actress...

It's kinda like how alot of the TV shows and movies and stuff have Indians or Latin Americans playing Arabs!

And yes, I agree..loads of actors and actresses have played different nationalities. But Japan and China have a bit of a stormy history. I think that's why its banned in China.

Anyway, that's what I think..sorry for the rant!
ViolentFemme
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk