BOOKS Review & Exchange

Topic locked
Oct 08, 2006
Trance - Christopher Sorrentino

Edgy. Adapted from the real life story of Patty Hearst (of the Hearst empire) who joined the SLA cult and renounced all worldly things to traverse around the country holding people at gun point, robbing banks and so on in order to "start a revolution of the underpriviledged by declaring war on those who had status and money."

This is heavy reading, and though it may be interesting to some, did not appeal to me (perhaps because I am anti anything fanatical etc).

PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 25, 2006
Jeevan wrote:finished reading dreamcatcher by stephen king, quite gripping book on aliens. even the movie based on it has been made in a pretty good way.

currently am reading IT by king again

Cheers,

Jerry

Got some Stephen King Books too.. what's the recent one you got?
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 25, 2006
I won't recommend you to read DA VINCI CODE.

Is it possible to trade in books here? We can read more and save some bucks. Suggestion please.

My books are not dilapidated nor dog - eared. I would be glad to exchange them with books i haven't read yet.

I got collections of Paulo Coelho, John Grisham (except The Innocent), Author of Daughters of Arabia etc, Franklin Covey, Stephen King, Self-help books and more.

~~~hope to get some positive feedback~~~
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 22, 2006
I have just finished reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

It is about an Australian fugitive who escaped from the prison and went to bombay using fake New Zealand passport...

It is really a literary masterpiece....

It might have been my favorite as of the moment. It is highly recommendable to read.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 11, 2006
Has anybody read The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff?

What's your say?
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 06, 2007
I read every Stephen King book. He is great!!!!

But I read almost everything. I love books.

The only problem is, that I can`t books throw away :roll:

I guess that will be a big big problem, when I move very often.
Need a privat jet.
Tropic23
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 06, 2007
Just started Paulo Coelho's "I sat by the river pedra and wept"....great so far!

next up :

"The Zahir" and "Eleven Minutes"

Now, i personally think "The Alchemist" was awesome...but thats all i had read from paulo coelho...anyone think he ever topped that one?
cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 06, 2007
I've read 'The Alchemist" - I am not that impressed though.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 06, 2007
ok... :) try the next one then !
cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 07, 2007
weary_heart wrote:Has anybody read The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff?

What's your say?

I read the Tao of Pooh in 2000-2001 or so. I can't remember much about it because I've read hundreds of books since. I do seem to think it was cute and worth a read. It's short and quite light if memory serves.

I've recently been into the Jason Bourne series. Pretty decent if you're into the action genre. Not usually my cup of tea but I really did enjoy it.

Has anyone read The Life of Pi? I've heard great things about it. I read it and thought...bah...no big deal. Did I miss something?
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 07, 2007
giggsy wrote:I read the Tao of Pooh in 2000-2001 or so. I can't remember much about it because I've read hundreds of books since. I do seem to think it was cute and worth a read. It's short and quite light if memory serves.

I've recently been into the Jason Bourne series. Pretty decent if you're into the action genre. Not usually my cup of tea but I really did enjoy it.

Has anyone read The Life of Pi? I've heard great things about it. I read it and thought...bah...no big deal. Did I miss something?

Im currently reading the The Te of Piglet part- Im enjoying it, brilliant explanation of Taoism - entertaining as well. hehe

Never read The Life of Pi yet.

Ive got another great book called 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 08, 2007
cyrix wrote:Just started Paulo Coelho's "I sat by the river pedra and wept"....great so far!

next up :

Now, i personally think "The Alchemist" was awesome...but thats all i had read from paulo coelho...anyone think he ever topped that one?

i have read everything signed by Coelho and one my fav. was Manual of the warrior of light.
eleven minutes is a great book too and u wont be disapointed :wink:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 13, 2007
Here is a link to the 10 best books of 2006:
http://chilloutdubai.blogspot.com/2007/ ... -2006.html
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 19, 2007
Free to a good home: Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things. I have two copies and am looking to get rid of the paperback.

PM if you want it...
iapetus11
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 20, 2007
This book is really good. You will find that Eleven minutes is so different from his other books. The Zahir is a great read too.

None of his books topped The ALCHEMIST. However, Veronica Decides to Die runs close.

cyrix wrote:Just started Paulo Coelho's "I sat by the river pedra and wept"....great so far!

next up :

Shermin
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 20, 2007

next up :

Before reading any books of coelho, it is recommended to read first The Alchemist, then By the River Piedra, then veronica decideds to die for you to understand his style of writing.

Now I am reading Daugthers of Arabia & read other books by Jean Sasson.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 20, 2007
asc_26 wrote:Is it possible to trade in books here? We can read more and save some bucks. Suggestion please.

My books are not dilapidated nor dog - eared. I would be glad to exchange them with books i haven't read yet.

that sounds like an excellent idea i always run out of books to read and always looking to save some cash...books ain't cheap. any idea's how we could work it?

also does anyone know if there is a bookclub in dubai been looking but haven't found one if not is there anyone that would be interested if i started one?
emurella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2007
asc_26 wrote:

next up :

Before reading any books of coelho, it is recommended to read first The Alchemist, then By the River Piedra, then veronica decideds to die for you to understand his style of writing.

Now I am reading Daugthers of Arabia & read other books by Jean Sasson.

good idea..asc
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 21, 2007
emurella wrote:
asc_26 wrote:Is it possible to trade in books here? We can read more and save some bucks. Suggestion please.

that sounds like an excellent idea i always run out of books to read and always looking to save some cash...books ain't cheap. any idea's how we could work it?

also does anyone know if there is a bookclub in dubai been looking but haven't found one if not is there anyone that would be interested if i started one?

im in...for the Bookclub :wink:
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 22, 2007
I only have about 20 books here. I left the rest back home.

Still, I think it is a good idea.

mema wrote:
emurella wrote:

im in...for the Bookclub :wink:
Shermin
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 25, 2007
Concord is bookworm too, and he got thousands of books. Ladies, let's do some planning to get into his house while he's out and get all his books. What do you think?

I don't know about bookclub here. :( Let's check with magrudy's.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 25, 2007
bookclub??? Where? Where???

:study:
Tropic23
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 25, 2007
There used to be a second hand bookshop in that pink shopping mall along from Magrudy's on the beach road in Jumeirah - think it was called 'House of Books' or something. You could buy used books and also trade books. Not sure if it's there any more.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 25, 2007
Just finished reading these:

'We need to talk about Kevin' Lionel Shriver
Quite a disturbing and heavy read, but compulsive too. A mother writing about her son who committed a Columbine type massacre.

' A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' Marina Lewycka
Not really about tractors and not written in Ukrainian. Easy to read and very, very funny. Story written from point of view of a woman whose elderly father marries an Eastern European goldigger.

Btw, we have a book club at work : here's how it works:

- 10 members who pay 50 chips into a kitty monthly
- members take it in turns, monthly, to spend the kitty money ( on books! ) and host the book swapping session
- new books are numbered ( and name of person who bought is written on them ) as they are bought and each month we note down who is taking and returning what at the monthly meeting
- books are 'retired' after a year and given to the person who bought them

Works really well and saves a lot of money. Might also prevent you from being arrested for burglary!!!
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 25, 2007
sauron wrote:There used to be a second hand bookshop in that pink shopping mall along from Magrudy's on the beach road in Jumeirah - think it was called 'House of Books' or something. You could buy used books and also trade books. Not sure if it's there any more.

ohh i used to love going to that place a nice old man owns it..Don't tell me its not there anymore :cry:
Good thing Magrudys started a loyalty card, a point for every dirham n then u get discounts n gifts..i'm waiting for their online store
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 25, 2007
mema wrote:
sauron wrote:There used to be a second hand bookshop in that pink shopping mall along from Magrudy's on the beach road in Jumeirah - think it was called 'House of Books' or something. You could buy used books and also trade books. Not sure if it's there any more.

ohh i used to love going to that place a nice old man owns it..Don't tell me its not there anymore :cry:
Good thing Magrudys started a loyalty card, a point for every dirham n then u get discounts n gifts..i'm waiting for their online store

I think the second-hand place moved to a new location - I'll see what I can find out.
I use Amazon a lot for books, movies and music. They often have great discounted stuff, the postal charges are not too bad and the stuff takes a week to ten days to get here.
http://amazon.co.uk/
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 26, 2007
sauron wrote:J'We need to talk about Kevin' Lionel Shriver
Quite a disturbing and heavy read, but compulsive too. A mother writing about her son who committed a Columbine type massacre.

It's a good book, but not an easy read at all.
iapetus11
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 26, 2007
sauron wrote:Just finished reading these:

'We need to talk about Kevin' Lionel Shriver

' A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' Marina Lewycka
Not really about tractors and not written in Ukrainian. Easy to read and very, very funny. Story written from point of view of a woman whose elderly father marries an Eastern European goldigger.

Btw, we have a book club at work : here's how it works:

- 10 members who pay 50 chips into a kitty monthly
- members take it in turns, monthly, to spend the kitty money ( on books! ) and host the book swapping session
- new books are numbered ( and name of person who bought is written on them ) as they are bought and each month we note down who is taking and returning what at the monthly meeting
- books are 'retired' after a year and given to the person who bought them

Works really well and saves a lot of money.

My friend is still reading that book, i will borrow after. :D We're not officemates, we can't be a member.
:(

sauron wrote:Might also prevent you from being arrested for burglary!!!

You're an accomplice now. No worries, we'll leave no trace.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 27, 2007
:lol: :lol:
If there's a group of you living in Dubai, shouldn't be difficult to get together once a month. Or mail the books? Bleakus works for Empost, doesn't he? Maybe if you talk nice to him he'll give you a big discount!!
If not.......... I have my stocking mask and gloves at the ready :wink:
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 13, 2007

It's 'House of Prose' in Ibn Batuta Mall.

I went there once, not much to see.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk