For instance:

English
"I'm fine"

Arabic
"tamam"
"Al hamdolillah"
"m'neeha"
"kuwaiyiza"

I can't learn Arabic fluently cause every dialect is different and by the time I've learnt 4 different versions of the same term I have a hard time remembering 4 more versions of another word!!

PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 03, 2006
thats why the language is so beautiful ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 03, 2006
Nice topic the word love has too many forms and words too

• Hob or 7ob, the most common word for love around the Arab world. The number 7 is used for the letter ح
• Hawa, Egyptian use it in songs. The famous singer Abdul haleem Hafez may God rest his soul, use to sing (el hawa hawai) the word hawa elso have anther meaning witch is air so it depend on the context you use it.

• Esheq or 3esheq, it is a higher level of love. 3 is used to resemble ع
• kram or 3’ram again it is a higher form of love. 3’ is used to resemble غ
• hayam

anyone else can think of others? I know iam missing some
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 03, 2006
Pretty
There are accents choose one stick with it..and all arabs will grasp it

sara i don't know y i thought of bread its a bit confusing
we say khebz
there is ragheef
eygpt 3aish aish ع this is what we call rice here
i don't know if there are other names to it in different Arab countries.
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 03, 2006
easy for you to say stick to one accent ... my arab friends use different ones, I learn from listening .... so if one uses one and the other uses another i'm just lost .... i can understand conversations because i can put them into context ... but ask me to speak it and i'm terrified ... i need to find me an arabic teacher who can teach me one dialect
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 03, 2006
mema wrote:Pretty
There are accents choose one stick with it..and all arabs will grasp it

sara i don't know y i thought of bread its a bit confusing
we say khebz
there is ragheef
eygpt 3aish aish ع this is what we call rice here
i don't know if there are other names to it in different Arab countries.

in saudi we say 3aish and khabez for bread and rice is roz and egyptian call bread raqeef. my bahreeni frined use to call rice 3aiysh too and we use to argue that she is wrong, saudi arabic is more closer to the real arabic :lol:
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 03, 2006
how is arabic beautiful?

sounds like klingon
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 04, 2006
nismo wrote:how is arabic beautiful?

sounds like klingon

haha noob ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 04, 2006
mema wrote:eygpt 3aish aish ع this is what we call rice here.

If I'm not mistaken, 3aish refferers to the staple food of the country. therefore could mean Rice, Bread, Barley, Corn, or Noodles depending on what country you are in at the time.

Please let me know if i'm wrong.
bear
Dubai chat master

Re: Too many ways to say the same thing!! Oct 13, 2007
PrettyPenny wrote:For instance:

English
"I'm fine"

Arabic
"tamam"
"Al hamdolillah"
"m'neeha"
"kuwaiyiza"

I can't learn Arabic fluently cause every dialect is different and by the time I've learnt 4 different versions of the same term I have a hard time remembering 4 more versions of another word!!

Firstly, there's tons of ways of saying "I'm fine" in English:
Good, Great, Alright, OK, etc... and then we're not getting into slang.

But agreed... the problem with Arabic is the dialects (called `ammiyyah) vary quite a bit from region to region.

However, there is a common form of Arabic that is used to communicate between regions, and this is also what is used for print - Newspapers, books, etc. Westerners refer to this as "Modern Standard Arabic", which is essentially what is called "fusha" or classical Arabic. If you are a beginner and want to start, you start here. Everyone will understand you speaking in this form (even if they want to make fun of you) and then from here you can branch off into a specific dialect.
jazuli14
Dubai Forum Guest

It is what it is :) Dec 28, 2007
To my mind what makes the Arabic language is little strange and complicated to non-arabs are the different accents used by different countries. However, (and this is true).. if you stick to one dialict or accent all other would understand what you say..

Some times the trick of the word you use is just the way you use it.. it can change the entire meaning..

e.g: The word (Afwan- 3afawn= welcome).. is known to be said in reply to (Shukran=Thanks).. still you can use it like this: (Afwan?= excuse me?)

my suggestion; don't think much and be spontanious.. make mistakes (that is ok) and with time you will just get it :)

Good luck
leopard_jo
Dubai Forum Guest

hi Mar 15, 2008
but you can learn original anguage because in Arabic they are many diffrent words like arbian gulf alittle diffrent from arabian people from Egypt or Algeria
abuabdullah
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 29, 2008
Hello,
I'm Moroccan and start to get now which words belong to which country. Im born and raised in Holland so reading and speaking the real arabic is still hard. I want to learn khaliji arabic now...so if someone wants to help me...
passengeroflife
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 22, 2008
Hello,
I'm Moroccan and start to get now which words belong to which country. Im born and raised in Holland so reading and speaking the real arabic is still hard. I want to learn khaliji arabic now...so if someone wants to help me...

ok call me I will help you as much as I can: 0501135613
Passe-Partout
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Arabic learning ForumForum Rules

Return to Arabic learning Forum