Sky TV In UAE

Topic locked
Sky TV in UAE Nov 28, 2009
Hi there,
Can you please assist on this matter:
Can we get Sky TV in UAE? how about Sky Plus? If so, do we have to bring Sky box and dish with us, or is it avaliable to purchase in UAE? Any answers will be greatly received. Thanks

Apr
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Sky TV in UAE Nov 28, 2009
In short.....no.

Certainly not legitimately anyway. Since censorship is still prevalent in the UAE the authorities control what is available to watch, listen to, read etc.....
Certainly when we were moving our relocation agents wouldn;t allow us to take anything that could receive TV signals, that included Freeview receivers
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Sky TV in UAE Nov 30, 2009
Not possible using a dish and receiver. Dubai is out of satelite range.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Sky TV in UAE Dec 03, 2009
This is a method of viewing Sky in the UAE, but it requires you having an account and a digi-box in the UK. Go to google and search for 'slingbox sky'.

It's a bit clunky, but if you have enough broadband bandwidth it might make it worthwile for those missing decent programming.

With regards to the UAE censoring, I find it amusing that you can turn on a graphically violent horror movie at 7am and yet anything to do with s e x is completely removed. Violence is okay, s e x is evil? Sounds a bit bass ackwards to me.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Sky TV in UAE Dec 06, 2009
Most people opt for Showtime. It's roughly the same price as Sky (279AED for the top package I believe) and they even show EPL and SPL football matches at weekends, usually simultaneously and back to back! ShowSeries shows serials from the UK and USA such as Desperate Housewives, Coronation Street etc.

If you're really desperate to watch British channels such as BBC and ITV, have a scout around on the net for articles telling you how to watch BBC from anywhere in the world.

RossBaku :-D
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Sky TV in UAE Dec 16, 2009
I found some info on sling box- too much hassle as for me.
RossBaku: I think we will opt for Showtime from Du that you recommended. Cheers
Apr
Apr
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Sky TV in UAE Oct 22, 2013
I can't wait for the Android 4.0 Smart TV Box to come out. Works like a glorified cable box and turns your tv into a smart tv with remote etc to control BBC iPlayer, ITV Player & HULU and if you enter your VPN details into it you can use it in Dubai without blocking. Im using Laptop Telly VPN at mo via iPad works well for iplayer.
Google search: LAPTOPTELLY
fergus2013
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum