Set Up Process

Topic locked
Set Up Process Jul 04, 2007
Hi guys,

If I tried to get everything done as quickly as possible, how long would it take to get the following processed:

Residency Visa
Work Visa
UAE Driving Licence (I have UK licence and International Driving Permit)
Alcohol Permit

Set up a UAE bank account?

And finally, how long does the process of taking lease of an apartment take? As in, if I found an apartment and wanted to move into it, how long do the formalities with a reputable real estate agent (ie Better Homes) take?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 04, 2007
The main point is do you have Residency Visa - i.e. a Job / Company to sponsor you?

The others could be done in 2 weeks to a month.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jul 04, 2007
Work and residency visa can be anything from 1 week upwards. Very dependent on the company and the pro who processes it on your behalf.

Basically until you have the residency visa you are a bit in limbo for the other stuff as they will be dependent on that.

Alcohol licence is a waste of time, I have one and I think I have used it once in 12 months. Alcohol is very expensive in dubai (30% tax) and I prefer to drive to baracudda every couple of months and fill the car with cheap booze, also when ever you arrrive back at the airport from holidays/business trips you can stock up at the duty free shop.

Driving licence takes a couple of hours to swap over (I did this a few weeks back).

Bank account takes a few minutes and then a day or 2 to get the card.
john smith
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum