People Hammering And Drilling Inside Late At Night

Topic locked
People Hammering and Drilling Inside Late at Night Dec 05, 2009
This is very frustrating. We have lived in International City since July. After being here for a couple of days, we heard someone hammering and drilling starting at around 9:45 PM. I went to see security and asked him to get the people to stop this. I watched from outside the door, and a woman came to the door and said sorry.

Since then, we have heard hammering and drilling late at night around every week or two. Again, one of these times, I called security but the guard couldn't find where it was coming from. This incident started at 11 PM.

The guard did tell me that they would put up a sign asking people to be quiet after a certain hour. This never happened. Now, another one of our lovely neighbours started hammering and drilling on Thursday night. The noise started at around 10 PM and continued off and on until after midnight!!!

Again, I had gone down to see security. We have new security guard who understands no English. With him was one of our workers, who also speaks no English. They had no idea what I was saying. By chance, another resident of our building came in and I got him to translate for me to tell the guard and the worker.

The worker then said to me, oh no, it's OK, there are new people moving in and they'll be finished tomorrow. I said, no, it's not OK to be doing this at this time. To make a long story short, I am unable to sleep and apparently I don't have the right to sleep because there are people who are insistent on hammering and drilling late at night.

I am going to call the management company tomorrow, but what I ant to know is this - are there any laws that say that people have to keep quiet in a building after a certain hour? I'm not talking about construction outside, I'm strictly talking about inside a building. It's very distressing to hear hammering and drilling late at night.

Thanks for your help.

natalie8
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: People Hammering and Drilling Inside Late at Night Dec 05, 2009
natalie8 wrote:This is very frustrating. We have lived in International City since July. After being here for a couple of days, we heard someone hammering and drilling starting at around 9:45 PM. I went to see security and asked him to get the people to stop this. I watched from outside the door, and a woman came to the door and said sorry.

Since then, we have heard hammering and drilling late at night around every week or two. Again, one of these times, I called security but the guard couldn't find where it was coming from. This incident started at 11 PM.

The guard did tell me that they would put up a sign asking people to be quiet after a certain hour. This never happened. Now, another one of our lovely neighbours started hammering and drilling on Thursday night. The noise started at around 10 PM and continued off and on until after midnight!!!

Again, I had gone down to see security. We have new security guard who understands no English. With him was one of our workers, who also speaks no English. They had no idea what I was saying. By chance, another resident of our building came in and I got him to translate for me to tell the guard and the worker.

The worker then said to me, oh no, it's OK, there are new people moving in and they'll be finished tomorrow. I said, no, it's not OK to be doing this at this time. To make a long story short, I am unable to sleep and apparently I don't have the right to sleep because there are people who are insistent on hammering and drilling late at night.

I am going to call the management company tomorrow, but what I ant to know is this - are there any laws that say that people have to keep quiet in a building after a certain hour? I'm not talking about construction outside, I'm strictly talking about inside a building. It's very distressing to hear hammering and drilling late at night.

Thanks for your help.

I am not 100 percent sure on this. I suspect there might be rules that ban people from disturbing their neighbors at late hours. If I were you, I would first call the management company. Now we all know that they won't do anything about it but it is a good first step. The second step would probably be to call the police and report a disturbance in your building. Just say "disturbance and unusual hammering noise". International city has been in the papers over the past few weeks. You can be sure the police will come.
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Thanks so much for your reply. Regarding the acion (or inaction) of the management company, my husband says the same thing. Why has IC been in the news lately? It's encouraging to hear that the police will respod quickly to this. 8)
natalie8
Dubai Forum Visitor

natalie8 wrote:Thanks so much for your reply. Regarding the acion (or inaction) of the management company, my husband says the same thing. Why has IC been in the news lately? It's encouraging to hear that the police will respod quickly to this. 8)

I don't want to put you off your neighborhood or anything. International city is still a decent place to live.
Here is the news story.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime ... s-1.531080

and here is the link to the thread discussing this

dubai-chat/crime-international-city-t39612.html

Anyway, it is of no consequence to your situation other than that I suspect the police will respond quickly to any complaints from that area.
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Re: People Hammering and Drilling Inside Late at Night Dec 06, 2009
You don't need to call the police for this sort of thing, that's ridiculous. Whatever happened to actually going and 'talking' to your neighbours yourself and asking them to stop it, telling them they're being very inconsiderate.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: People Hammering and Drilling Inside Late at Night Dec 06, 2009
Thanks for the replies. That story about the murders is horrible. I hope the guilty are prosecuted fully. I spoke with someone from the management company today, I told him what was happening and from which apartments. He agreed right away that they should not be doing this at that time. He said he would call the owners to tell them. Let's see what happens in the next week.
natalie8
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: People Hammering and Drilling Inside Late at Night Dec 13, 2009
Yes, what happened to actually going and talking to your neighbours ?

Anyways FYI

http://residents.internationalcity.ae/noise_1.html

I was there just yesterday, turning into a proper Karama. The laundry hanging of from almost every window and balcony really completed the look.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum