PASSPORT & DRIVER'S LICENSE - CAN BE OF DIFFERENT COUNTR

Topic locked
PASSPORT & DRIVER'S LICENSE - CAN BE OF DIFFERENT COUNTR May 12, 2007
Hi!
Perhaps it's a bit strange question, but there are some rare cases :)))

Concrete exemple: I have double nationality, Polish (origin) and Italian (naturalised). I go obviously with my Italian passport to Dubai, but I have my Polish national and international driver's licences, valid in all European Union.

Is there any Emirati law about it - or it is enough to be the same person, no problem that documents are issued by different countries?

peter.italy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 12, 2007
REad this thread: http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=18941

Big debate already ongoing.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 12, 2007
Thanks, Choco !

But now I come as a tourist for 2 weeks - so the point is - can I rent a car and drive in peace without any problem during an eventual police control with passeport and drivers licence of different countries.

Just as tourist, I underline?
peter.italy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 12, 2007
No, you need an international dirvers licence.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 12, 2007
Exactly. And I have Italian passport and Polish international driver's licence . So is it OK?
peter.italy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 12, 2007
An international drivers licence shouldn't be country specific, are they? Or does it just state that it was issued in Poland?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 12, 2007
Of course, it is written on the front page PL - (or can be the code of any other country) - becouse it is issued by the motorisation office of the country in which you have your standard national driver's licence, and it is related to that licence by p. ex cathegories of vehicles.

Phisically, it is a kind of boklet with 6 pages, the same in different languages.
peter.italy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 12, 2007
Should be ok then I guess.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 31, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:No, you need an international dirvers licence.

And your driving licence - for renting a car. The international licence on its own isn't worth anything.

If you drive someone else's car then you need to get a temporary license from the traffic department.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum