Moving To Dubai With Family

Topic locked
Moving to dubai with family Jan 22, 2007
Hello!

My husband got offered a job in the telco industry in dubai and so we are moving around March! I would appreciate if you could help me find my way through the info jungle on the web.

I am pregnant (due in July) and am happy to get recommendations on doctor/hospitals to give birth . I am having difficulties to find good infos on general family issues (besides water parks and fun stuff to do with kids).
Where are relaxed areas to live (other than the Emirate Hills/Greens/Meadows - area etc.) We prefer to buy a property with 4 bedrooms (appt or house..) We are German/French speaking and would like to send our kids (4 and 2) to the french school located close to the American hospital - from which I understand is not a place where you live with a family wanting to be surrounded by other families.

Finally, how easy is it to furnish your home in Dubai. Is there enough places to shop for lets say European - Contemporary style furniture for a reasonable price?
Thanks a lot for any of your help -
Julietta

wegulia
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 22, 2007
Fabulous furniture here in all price ranges from 200 AED for a lounge to 22000 Made locally, in China, india, italy germany and more.

I think its actually like furniture heaven

If you wanna buy it has to be in a freehold area so places are those youve mentioned plus arabian ranches, festival city, jumeirah islands.

Totally depends on where your husbands office is and location to schools.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Moving to dubai with family Jan 23, 2007
wegulia wrote:Hello!
I am pregnant (due in July) and am happy to get recommendations on doctor/hospitals to give birth.

Getting insurance from your husband employer which including labour/pregnancy would be good as it is considered expensive even just to do a checkup for common disease.

wegulia wrote:I am having difficulties to find good infos on general family issues (besides water parks and fun stuff to do with kids).

Go to the beach, have a picnic, make a trip out of town, BBQ in the parks, go skiing, etc etc.
wegulia wrote:Where are relaxed areas to live (other than the Emirate Hills/Greens/Meadows - area etc.) We prefer to buy a property with 4 bedrooms (appt or house..) We are German/French speaking and would like to send our kids (4 and 2) to the french school located close to the American hospital - from which I understand is not a place where you live with a family wanting to be surrounded by other families.

For school, if you mean this high school annex in Oud Metha area, there are some good apartments (not villa) in that area. Mankhool area could be a good choice also. There are many good apartments, quite calm, and still in the city. But if you're looking for a villa, then there's nothing nearby except Jumeirah (Northern), which I'm not sure you can buy (not a freehold property). Even if you don't mind to buy out-of-city villa, make sure that it's already built, not only a piece of plan/advertisement ;)

wegulia wrote:Finally, how easy is it to furnish your home in Dubai. Is there enough places to shop for lets say European - Contemporary style furniture for a reasonable price?

There are many good furniture shops around Karama/Oud Metha road. IKEA is also available if you'd like. Still European/Swedish style ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum